Y vga to hdmi cable

Hello every one,

I plan to use a HDTV as a second monitor for my PC.

Is there a Y cable, one VGA end goes to the PC, the other VGA end goes to the current monitor, and the HDMI end goes to HDTV ?

Even there is such a cable, would it work for 3 monitors on one PC ?

I appreciate your answer and thanh you.

3 answers Last reply
More about hdmi cable
  1. This topic has been moved from the section Networking to section Graphics & Displays by Grumpy9117
  2. First, VGA is analog only and HDMI is digital only so this part of your request is impossible unless you use some digital converter box (probably 50-100$). If you search the web, you will probably find VGA to DVI adapters/cables and also DVI to HDMI adapters/cables, but don't be fooled, it won't work; the "fine prints" is that the first cable will be VGA to DVI-A and the second one will be DVI-D to HDMI. The difference being that DVI, unlike HDMI, can carry both digital (DVI-D) and analog signal (DVI-A); both combined being designated as DVI-I.

    Second, when you say you want to use your HDTV as a second monitor, you want the second monitor to be a copy of what is shown on the first or you want the 2nd to "extend" the first? For the later, a simple "Y" cable won't work.

    Depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish, getting a new video card with both DVI-I and HDMI output could be a simpler and more elegant solution, such card can cost as little as 50$ (so less than a VGA to HDMI conversion box). One such card is the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4650 512MB.
  3. A simple Y cable is only good for running two monitors in clone mode. You can't extend to the second one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HDTV Cable Monitors HDMI VGA Graphics Product