Sign in with
Your question

Y vga to hdmi cable

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2010 4:47:05 AM

Hello every one,

I plan to use a HDTV as a second monitor for my PC.

Is there a Y cable, one VGA end goes to the PC, the other VGA end goes to the current monitor, and the HDMI end goes to HDTV ?

Even there is such a cable, would it work for 3 monitors on one PC ?

I appreciate your answer and thanh you.

Man

More about : vga hdmi cable

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 11, 2010 10:44:57 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Networking to section Graphics & Displays by Grumpy9117
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 12:24:31 PM

First, VGA is analog only and HDMI is digital only so this part of your request is impossible unless you use some digital converter box (probably 50-100$). If you search the web, you will probably find VGA to DVI adapters/cables and also DVI to HDMI adapters/cables, but don't be fooled, it won't work; the "fine prints" is that the first cable will be VGA to DVI-A and the second one will be DVI-D to HDMI. The difference being that DVI, unlike HDMI, can carry both digital (DVI-D) and analog signal (DVI-A); both combined being designated as DVI-I.

Second, when you say you want to use your HDTV as a second monitor, you want the second monitor to be a copy of what is shown on the first or you want the 2nd to "extend" the first? For the later, a simple "Y" cable won't work.

Depending on exactly what you are trying to accomplish, getting a new video card with both DVI-I and HDMI output could be a simpler and more elegant solution, such card can cost as little as 50$ (so less than a VGA to HDMI conversion box). One such card is the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4650 512MB.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 11, 2010 1:43:09 PM

A simple Y cable is only good for running two monitors in clone mode. You can't extend to the second one.
m
l
!