SanDisk Cruzer Edge Write-protection error

darkevin

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hi,

I just bought a SanDisk Cruzer Edge 8gb a few months ago and decided to use it as my Ubuntu 12.04 LiveCD. (without persistent)

All was well and i was running the portable OS off it for awhile until recently, i decided to reformat it for other uses but can't because windows says its write protected. I tried using windows disk management for the administrative tools but still it shows as write protected. :heink:

I tried booting up with another LiveCD and reformatting it with Ubuntu's GParted and Disk Manager but errors came out as "access denied" :cry:

Is there any way i can hard reset or reformat the drive? i tried all the software like the one from hp, minitool partition wizard and the regedit trick but still without success. Anyone know any crude methods? maybe zapping the usb connectors or dunking it in water perhaps? :fou: cause' i'm really frustrated with this thing and throwing it away makes me feels guilty.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Since nothing is working, this USB drive might have gone bad.
Did you try DISKPART

Start >> Run >> Diskpart (Hit Enter) You would see black Command Prompt Screen
Type 'List Disk' and Hit Enter
Type 'Select Disk #' (# is the corresponding number of USB drive obtained in above step
Type 'Clean' and Hit Enter
Type 'create partition primary' and Hit Enter
Type 'Active' and Hit Enter
Type 'format fs=fat32 quick' and Hit Enter
Type 'assign' and Hit Enter

Give it a try.

zterrt

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Try this the REGEDIT trick once more. It worked on my Sandisk Cruzer Blade 8 gb & Sandisk Cruzer Edge 8 gb. It was the exact same error. But I had one more error that the disk could not be formatted although the write protection was gone. I contacted Sandisk website, http://kb.sandisk.com, they replied that the Flash drive was permanently inactive and I should replace it.

1)open Regedit and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrrentControlSet\Control\StroageDevicePolicies
If there is a WriteProtect key (REG_DWORD) then
1 = Write Protect On
0 = Write Protect Off

Set to 0 and try (may have to reboot in some cases)

2) Another solution-
1. Go to the disk properties page.
2. Select the 'Hardware' tab.
3. In the 'All disk drives' list, select the name of the external device.
4. Click the 'Properties' button.
5. Select the 'Policies' tab.
6. Under 'Write caching and Safe Removal', select 'Optimize for performance'.

Abhay Agarwal

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Ztterrt I'm facing the same problem but I didn't found StroageDevicePolicies in Registry Edit :cry: :( :(