What is the difference?

Dan2013

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
What is the difference between these Intel socket 1155 chipsets?
P677
H67
H61
C206
Z68

Are there any advantages/disadvantages between any two. Are there any problems with any of these?

Also, I am looking to build a gaming PC. It will be my first build. If you have any suggestions or pointers, it would be a big help. Thanks in advance.

Single or dual video card? Power supply budget (especially if planning on sli)? Don't go cheap on the power supply unless your system is low end with onboard video. The differences are not only in the features, but the phasing of the board, which effects stability when overclocking. In summary, we need more information from you before spending time comparing so many boards.

Dan2013

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
UPDATE:

Okay, here are my components so far:

Intel Core i5 2500k
Nvidia GeForce 570 (sli in the future)
G. Skills ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB)
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
Corsair 850w power supply
Cooler master 932 advanced

I am just looking for a motherboard to tie it all together. I was thinking of Asus Sabertooth P67 (the one with the thermal armor.)
I just didn't know if P67 was outdated since Z68 (whatever these mean) came out.

TechEnt

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

Dan, I don't know if you are still looking, but I wanted to give you a heads up.

Whatever you decide, make sure the ram you select is compatible with your motherboard. So, if you go with the Asus Sabertooth P67, read the manual for recommended RAM. I find that when I use the RAM recommended by the motherboard that my system is more stable.

The z68 is more like a combination h67 and p67. Since you are using a discrete card, the p67 will be fine. There are more differences though. I recommend you do a search for p67 and then z68 and read the articles for both.