Sign in with
Your question

Better to run 8GB of same type of RAM or 12GB of mismatching RAM

Last response: in Memory
June 22, 2011 11:33:23 PM

Hi all...

I currently am running an i3 540 overclocked around 4ghz and have 4GB of RAM. I would like to expand to 8GB or 12GB. My gigabyte UDP-3 motherboard supports 4 slots. Is it better to buy 8GB (2x4GB) and run that ONLY.... or to add 8GB to my existing RAM and run 12GB but with mis-matching types. I would like to add ram to disable my swapfile and get a little extra room off my SSD as its approaching being full and since its so cheap and I multitask like a crazy person and leave my PC up for 7 days or more at times.

If anyone current knows a good 2x4gb setup plz post a link I would like to order ASAP.
June 22, 2011 11:39:26 PM

I wouldn't mismatch. Besides, why would you need 12gb ? 8 should be enough.
m
l
June 22, 2011 11:45:22 PM

I think that I wouldnt need 12gb at all but if i disable my swapfile and leave it up for 7 days running multiple games and having 12 tabs open i wouldnt wanna risk stabilty with no swapfile. Any chance 8gb is not enough?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 4:44:16 AM

Do you only have the SSD with no normal platter hard drives? If so, you really shouldn't be running that way. If you have all of your stuff on the SSD, you are helping it to fail prematurely.

You should have the SSD for the OS and a select few of your most-used programs/games. The swap file and all of your data and other programs should be on a normal platter drive.

8GB is optimal for most gamers and multitaskers. I recommend Corsair Vengeance or G.Skill Ripjaws X memory.
m
l
June 24, 2011 3:41:12 AM

You are definitly right LFS.. Im running off only a SSD but I do have a platter drive, and Im well aware that I am wearing out my drive faster then it has to be. I only have 2 games installed and minimal amount of add on programs. So it took me over a year before I filled up my 80GB gen 2 intel SSD (10GB free now). The only thing I could really do to free up space is to move my music files and pictures. Those combined are 20GB.

Maybe Im nurotic in my thinking, but I hate waiting for hard drive to spool up and I enjoy a silent PC. I moved all my things off the platter and I got used to being able to run items as fast as I could click them. After that I felt guity and moved everything back on the platter cause I didnt wanna wear the drive to bad. But, dealing with the spooling sound and lagg was to much so I went back to just SSD. How much extra wear would it put on my disk being 70gb full vs 50gb full?

Has anyone worn out a SSD and bricked one yet? I read in the reviews they basicly last 5-10 years.
m
l
!