Mouse not working on Razer Goliathus mouse pad?

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Around June or July, I bought a new system and along with it a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 v2.0 mouse+keyboard kit. The mouse worked perfectly on the desk surface I was using using it on then. A month ago I moved and am now using a different desk surface, on which the mouse doesn't respond too well, it either jumps or slows down at times during movement, and the overall speed is slower than before, without changing any sensitivity options.

To counter this problem, I thought to buy a mouse pad, and I went for a brand name and what seemed like a quality one from reviews, the Razer Goliathus, the box of which also boldly stated that any mouse will work on it. I couldn't think of any reasons why it wouldn't work, so I went ahead and bought it. But apparently the mouse doesn't want to respond almost at all on it. I figured out that there's some sort of a difference in texture orientation response on the mouse pad, meaning that the mouse responds slightly better on horizontal movements when the pad is landscaped. But the fact of the matter is that the pointer hardly moves, and the little movement it does achieve is with continuous stuttering.

Why would this be? What could cause this? I've been using the mouse plug-and-play, so I thought of trying to find software or drivers for the kit, but apparently the only software Microsoft releases for their mice is IntelliPoint, and neither the newest 8.0 version nor the older 7.1 one don't recognise the kit.

Any opinions or suggestions on this? Would it somehow be worth it to buy a different mouse or kit? And if yes as a last resort, what would you recommend if I were looking for a simple wireless 2-buttons plus mousewheel mouse, and whatever keyboard may come with it that would also preferably be without any gimmicks, like LED lights or more than 10 quick keys? It's what I've always used for everything including gaming, and I've no use for anything more complicated or expensive. I'd also be grateful if you would mention what the battery life is with any suggestions.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Here is a link to a Microsoft trouble-shoot page that may be able to help you: Troubleshoot response failures in wireless keyboard or mouse

I know these will sound like a obvious thing to check, but hey you never know:

1. Are your batteries good? (IntelliPoint should have a battery meter)
2. Have you cleaned the optical sensor with a Q-Tip and Rubbing Alcohol?
3. Have you tried re-setting the wireless connection
4. Have you tried moving the reciever to get a better signal or reduce interference? (Intellipoint should tell you the signal stength)
5. Do you have the Goliathus Speed or Control, I know the Control has a more textured surface which may cause reading problems with an optical mouse.

I really have no recommendations on mice and keyboards, I have used a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 for about 3 years and never had a problem with them and batteries lasted about 6months, for keyboards I have always used wired USB Microsoft or I-Rocks keyboards.

Right now I have a Logitech G500 mouse(I love this thing best mouse I have ever seen, Logitech SetPoint software is very cool) and a I-Rocks KR-6820E Backlit PC Gaming Keyboard(Also nice but do note its a compact design, I wish it had laptop style keys and arrow keys are too close together) and I use a Razer Goliathus Speed mouse pad which I am also very happy with.

I hope this is some help to you, If you need more trouble shooting search your problem on google and you will find more help.

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
thechief73: Thanks for the suggestions. The first thing I did was go to Google, and I found the page you suggested, but it didn't help. And I've tried all of your other advice before posting here, so no luck. Besides, as I've said IntelliPoint doesn't recognize the kit for some reason, so it can't give me any readings.

I also have a Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 on a different system and it works perfectly, I've had it for about 6 years now.

etk: It has the same hiccups as on the table unfortunately. It's the first thing I tried, since on this same surface the Wirelss Optical Mouse 2.0 mentioned above responds with a somewhat slower speed, and I'm using it on a piece of paper which solves the problem.

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Apparently I'm not allowed to edit my messages.

I have the Control version of the pad, but it somehow doesn't make sense for it to not work with some optical mice, since I'm thinking that that's what they tested the pad with.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Sorry none of those things were able to help you.

You should be able to edit with the little buttons at the bottom right of your posts, I do not know why it would be missing or not working. If its not there make sure you are logged in and maybe clear you cookies and internet browsing history. Also check out your forum settings for an option, I do not know what it would be listed under though.

When it comes to any optical or laser mice, the sensors in them always have their own personality so to speak with thier own quirks and sometimes do not play well with all pads and/or surfaces even if they are "supposed to", but if it was working for you before and now giving you trouble maybe consider something has failed in the mouse.

Also as like etk said, try some other surfaces anything you think will work that you have laying around. When I had trouble with my Logitech before I ordered the Razer pad, I tried: Four different "cheapo pads" plastic coated Dell, Belkin cloth, Harley Davidson brand :) , and a logo one from my high school that I snatched years back. I also tried a hard cover book, glossy cover magazine, and white card paper. I know from first had expeirence you cannot use most of them last ones daily as paper degrades quickly, besids a book if it fits and is comfortable, but it is a good way to test what is working and not with your mouse.

One thing I have read about the Razer Goliathus Control while researching to buy my own, is that the more textured surface can refract the sensor light and on top of that the un-even surface is also picked up and can cause erratic movement and cursor speeds.

I also cannot understand why IntelliPoint will not work for you, it seems quite odd, a Microsoft device should work wih thier software. Was there any type of CD or software included with your Keyboard/mouse? Also have you tried to un-install the Windows drivers and then install IntelliPoint if thats possible, I cannot remember?

dirk101

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I don't believe it's damaged because it's too steep a difference in performance between the desk surface and the mousepad.

In any case, I've bought myself a Logitech LX6, which works perfectly. The cost really does merit it's superior quality. Now I'll just see how long the batteries last. But thanks for your help for the both of you.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Your welcome, Logitech has a great reputation, Ive used thier support forums and I love the SetPoint software. I have also heard they are great when it comes to replacing a defective product. I hope you enjoy your new mouse :)

Mark Hens

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I had the same problem today after I unbricked my dead Mamba Elite 2012 and gave it new firmware. I managed to find out what the problem was after coming to a dead end with this being the last page I found on Google regarding this issue and yet nothing here helped me, so I went into the settings of the Razer configurator and low and behold it is the damn Surface Calibration feature on the Tweak Performance tab! You need to find if there is any calibration feature in your software for your mouse. I couldn't use my Mamba on my Razer Megasoma mouse pad after a fresh boot to Windows 7 Pro, the cursor wouldn't move at all, although it worked fine on any other surface, until I turned off the Surface Calibration and my mouse is working fine on my mouse pad again. If you had a calibration setting, there was nothing wrong with your mouse, it just needed to be turned off. Good day.