Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking a good mobo for an i5-2500k build

Last response: in Motherboards
June 23, 2011 1:01:37 AM

Hey guys, I am looking for a mobo for my friend thats getting an i5-2500k

Its an 1155 socket obviously, hes not gonna be crossfiring in the future, just need a good PCI-E x16 slot to run the 6870 hes gonna get.

He doesnt need anything super expensive, we wanna pick the price down, and we want a good reliable company, such as Gigabyte, ASUS, or ASRock

I picked the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 which can be found here: http://goo.gl/TTDRA

It's about $138 total

My friend is concerned because of the reviews, should he be? I feel like the board will be just fine, I have a GA-P55-UD3 myself, I figure this is basically a P67 version of that

I think you guys will be able to convince him, so feel free to suggest boards, or if you think so, stick with this current board

Remember, Intel i5-2500K, 6870, no intention to crossfire, reliable brand, not unnecessarily expensive

Thanks guys!
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 23, 2011 4:22:48 AM

I have the ASRock P67 Pro3 board, and I highly recommend it. It overclocks my 2500K to 4.8GHz with no problems, and handles 12GB of RAM (one 2x4GB kit and one 2x2GB kit) easily. Rock-solid stable, no-frills board.
m
l
June 23, 2011 5:08:55 AM

Wow that looks like a fantastic board, good reviews, and I know ASRock is reputable, I believe they're newish to the scene right? I mean much newer compared to other brands, correct?

It runs your OCed i5-2500K, so thats great, wow I think we've found our board

Thanks dude..!
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2011 6:05:59 AM

More suggestions are still welcome
m
l
June 23, 2011 6:56:34 AM

reaper2794 said:
More suggestions are still welcome

Generally I could recommend board I have (Asus P8P67Pro/deluxe) its well priced, OC very well (4.5Ghz on everyday use for me, 4.8 easily on better cooling) and it was the best choice for me having MSI/gigabyte/Intel as an alternatives (unfortunately Asrock is extremely hard to get in Ireland :/  ). The only problem I experience is long startups (as per my previous post) but not sure if its ASUS specific or just problem with Mobo / chipset.
But THB if I were buying mobo now, I would go for Z68 chipset, not P67.
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:50:21 AM

My friend doesnt need the Z68 chipset, its more money and features he doesn't need
m
l
June 24, 2011 7:55:13 AM

reaper2794 said:
My friend doesnt need the Z68 chipset, its more money and features he doesn't need

Look, fair enough - dont know how much the diff in price is, but someone wrote earlier that is only 10bucks, isnt it? THats IMHO way worth of having newer technlology and gizmos you may not need now but need in few years. Also having possibility to use internal GPU if your discrete card fails (for example) is IMHO well worth 10 bucks (if the price is correctly quoted).
Anyway - good luck with your build : :hello: 
m
l
June 24, 2011 11:56:56 PM

Lizard_of_Bodom said:
Look, fair enough - dont know how much the diff in price is, but someone wrote earlier that is only 10bucks, isnt it? THats IMHO way worth of having newer technlology and gizmos you may not need now but need in few years. Also having possibility to use internal GPU if your discrete card fails (for example) is IMHO well worth 10 bucks (if the price is correctly quoted).
Anyway - good luck with your build : :hello: 

Theres a Z68 mobo thats only $10 more than the $120 ASRock? Which one??
m
l
!