Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External Drive
  • Lacie
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2012 10:10:30 AM

Hello,
I have a Lacie external 1.5 T drive formatted for windows. In mid transfer of files from my PC to the external drive it stops and says it needs to be formatted. Even the title of my drive is now turned into F drive. I am not sure why this is.

I tried it on other PCs, a mac and even different USB ports.

I have not yet clicked the format drive because I have my whole abroad's worth of video in Jordan and CANNOT LOSE IT! Any suggestions of what to do?

A quick response would be much obliged. Thank you!

More about : lacie external drive crash

November 20, 2012 10:28:26 PM

Hello,

This sounds like a case of volume corruption. It can happen if the disk is disconnected or loses power during a transfer or in some extreme cases if it came too close to a high powered magnet (like stereo speakers) for too long.

Chances are you will need to format it to get it to work normally, if you need to attempt to recover the data I would recommend contacting a recovery firm or looking into recovery software.

d2recovery.com is our firm but we don't have any recovery software. You may find some luck with Data Rescue 3 or something similar.

You can also contact our support at www.lacie.com/mystuff or 503.844.4500 (USA) to investigate if there are other solutions.

~mn, LaCie
m
l
Related resources
!