playing games on a 17" laptop

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi there

I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking of
getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot of games on
it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of 1024x768 - will i
be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on a 17" laptop or will the
display end up looking all odd.

The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for the
screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have to think
about a 15" screen instead.

I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.

Thanks

David
4 answers Last reply
More about playing games laptop
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    David Gartrell wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking of
    > getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot of
    > games on it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of
    > 1024x768 - will i be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on
    > a 17" laptop or will the display end up looking all odd.
    >
    > The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for the
    > screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have to
    > think about a 15" screen instead.
    >
    > I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    The laptop will need a good video card with at least 64MB dedicated
    VRAM, not shared RAM. Even then, if the native resolution is say
    1280x1024, you might find that the video cannot keep up with game
    requirements and running at a lower resolution, 1024x768, is required.
    If the native resolution is 1280x768 or greater, reducing the resolution
    for gaming will reduce the size of the display, leaving a black border
    around the lower resolution display. Screen expansion to full screen
    can be used to compensate for the reduced display size, but recognize
    that games are designed to take advantage of greater resolutions with
    smaller detailed elements crucial to the game so that expanding the
    display with its inherent loss of detail might not be acceptable for
    gameplay. Additionally, not all video adapters support screen
    expansion, and with laptops, it is an OEM choice if screen expansion is
    an available option.

    Another issue is pixel response time. Standalone LCDs have response
    specifications like 40 milliseconds, 25 milliseconds, etc. where the
    smaller the response time, ghosting (smearing) of rapidly changing
    elements is reduced. The response times of laptop LCD displays is
    typically unpublished/unknown so there is no way to determine how that
    display will function in gaming, except by word of mouth, forum
    postings, pre-purchase testing, etc.

    If considering a laptop for gaming , the only way to verify that the
    display/video adapter is suitable is to test the unit before purchase,
    if possible. Note that other issues like HD speed, 4200 rpm vs 5400 -
    7200 rpm, CD-ROM performance, total RAM also can affect gameplay on
    laptops and can be as important as the video adapter/LCD/VRAM issues and
    should not be ignored in the laptop gaming evaluation.

    It is my *opinion* that for gaming, laptops are by their nature poor
    choices in price/performance/adaptability compared to desktop computers.
    A new laptop is by definition at the end of the performance road since
    there is very little upgrade path available to improve performance in
    the future. For serious gaming, this is a significant and potentially
    expensive handicap.

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On 05/12/2004 David Gartrell wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking
    > of getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot
    > of games on it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of
    > 1024x768 - will i be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on
    > a 17" laptop or will the display end up looking all odd.
    >
    > The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for
    > the screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have
    > to think about a 15" screen instead.
    >
    > I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    For text TFT displays always look a million times better at their
    native resolution.

    For games/DVD's I can't tell the difference - because of the movement I
    guess.

    I'd be more concerned about controlling the game with the track pad
    thingy or whatever it's called, but I imagine you'll plug in some sort
    of joystick/controller?

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    "David Gartrell" <davsarg@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    >
    > I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking of
    > getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot of games
    > on it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of 1024x768 -
    > will i be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on a 17" laptop or
    > will the display end up looking all odd.
    >
    > The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for the
    > screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have to think
    > about a 15" screen instead.
    >
    > I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > David

    FWIW i have a high spec dell laptop - 15.4 widescreen with a 64mb geforce
    5200.
    I play a lot of games so I bought a £100 19" monitor for gaming. It's
    essential!
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 08:10:59 -0000, "David Gartrell" <davsarg@btinternet.com>
    wrote:

    >I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking of
    >getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot of games on
    >it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of 1024x768 - will i
    >be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on a 17" laptop or will the
    >display end up looking all odd.
    >
    >The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for the
    >screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have to think
    >about a 15" screen instead.
    >
    >I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.

    Should be fine, just be sure to buy a laptop with a decent graphics card
    (GeForce Go 5700 or Radeon 9600 Mobile or better), because many come with
    very limited chipsets and can't be upgraded later; some high end laptops do
    support upgrades through a MiniAGP slot though. Also make sure the LCD has a
    decent response time: trying to play games on a smeary screen is hellish.

    -- Mat.

Laptops Games Resolution