playing games on a 17" laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi there

I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking of
getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot of games on
it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of 1024x768 - will i
be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on a 17" laptop or will the
display end up looking all odd.

The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for the
screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have to think
about a 15" screen instead.

I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.

Thanks

David

David Gartrell wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking of
> getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot of
> games on it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of
> 1024x768 - will i be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on
> a 17" laptop or will the display end up looking all odd.
>
> The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for the
> screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have to
> think about a 15" screen instead.
>
> I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

The laptop will need a good video card with at least 64MB dedicated
VRAM, not shared RAM. Even then, if the native resolution is say
1280x1024, you might find that the video cannot keep up with game
requirements and running at a lower resolution, 1024x768, is required.
If the native resolution is 1280x768 or greater, reducing the resolution
for gaming will reduce the size of the display, leaving a black border
around the lower resolution display. Screen expansion to full screen
can be used to compensate for the reduced display size, but recognize
that games are designed to take advantage of greater resolutions with
smaller detailed elements crucial to the game so that expanding the
display with its inherent loss of detail might not be acceptable for
gameplay. Additionally, not all video adapters support screen
expansion, and with laptops, it is an OEM choice if screen expansion is
an available option.

Another issue is pixel response time. Standalone LCDs have response
specifications like 40 milliseconds, 25 milliseconds, etc. where the
smaller the response time, ghosting (smearing) of rapidly changing
elements is reduced. The response times of laptop LCD displays is
typically unpublished/unknown so there is no way to determine how that
display will function in gaming, except by word of mouth, forum
postings, pre-purchase testing, etc.

If considering a laptop for gaming , the only way to verify that the
display/video adapter is suitable is to test the unit before purchase,
if possible. Note that other issues like HD speed, 4200 rpm vs 5400 -
7200 rpm, CD-ROM performance, total RAM also can affect gameplay on
laptops and can be as important as the video adapter/LCD/VRAM issues and
should not be ignored in the laptop gaming evaluation.

It is my *opinion* that for gaming, laptops are by their nature poor
choices in price/performance/adaptability compared to desktop computers.
A new laptop is by definition at the end of the performance road since
there is very little upgrade path available to improve performance in
the future. For serious gaming, this is a significant and potentially
expensive handicap.

On 05/12/2004 David Gartrell wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking
> of getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot
> of games on it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of
> 1024x768 - will i be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on
> a 17" laptop or will the display end up looking all odd.
>
> The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for
> the screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have
> to think about a 15" screen instead.
>
> I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

For text TFT displays always look a million times better at their
native resolution.

For games/DVD's I can't tell the difference - because of the movement I
guess.

I'd be more concerned about controlling the game with the track pad
thingy or whatever it's called, but I imagine you'll plug in some sort
of joystick/controller?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Mike

Splendid

"David Gartrell" <davsarg@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking of
> getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot of games
> on it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of 1024x768 -
> will i be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on a 17" laptop or
> will the display end up looking all odd.
>
> The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for the
> screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have to think
> about a 15" screen instead.
>
> I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.
>
> Thanks
>
> David

FWIW i have a high spec dell laptop - 15.4 widescreen with a 64mb geforce
5200.
I play a lot of games so I bought a £100 19" monitor for gaming. It's
essential!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 08:10:59 -0000, "David Gartrell" <davsarg@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>I wonder if someone could give me some advice please. I'm thinking of
>getting a laptop with a 17 inch screen and I'll be playing a lot of games on
>it. On my desktop pc I usually play with a resolution of 1024x768 - will i
>be able to use the same resolution comforatbaly on a 17" laptop or will the
>display end up looking all odd.
>
>The thing is, if i have to set my games to the best resolution for the
>screen then they may not run too well, in which case I may have to think
>about a 15" screen instead.
>
>I'd be grateful for any advice you could give.

Should be fine, just be sure to buy a laptop with a decent graphics card
(GeForce Go 5700 or Radeon 9600 Mobile or better), because many come with
very limited chipsets and can't be upgraded later; some high end laptops do
support upgrades through a MiniAGP slot though. Also make sure the LCD has a
decent response time: trying to play games on a smeary screen is hellish.

-- Mat.