Sign in with
Your question

I need help on my new build

Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2010 5:47:25 AM

Hello i need some help please!! i am a newbie to building PC's and i was feeling impulsive and tried doing it all by myself, I have a build that ive been working on for over a year now and i still cant get it to work. I have tried everything from trying to install RAID or installing drivers but nothing is working. I originally had windows XP PRO x64 OEM but i heard Windows 7 will install all the drivers i needed. So now I'm trying to install Windows 7 and it is not working either! it says i need to install drivers on my CD/DVD but i have no idea how to, i tried the software that came with the drive and i tried finding it online but neither worked. help please!! :( 

Intel DP45SG mobo
NVIDIA GTX 260 graphics
2x Seagate Barracuda OEM HDD's
LG DVD/CD
4GB Kingston DDR3 (2x2)
Intel Core 2Duo Processor 3.0 GHz
OCZ 700W PS

More about : build

August 16, 2010 10:04:14 AM

kevincurley said:
Hello i need some help please!! i am a newbie to building PC's and i was feeling impulsive and tried doing it all by myself, I have a build that ive been working on for over a year now and i still cant get it to work. I have tried everything from trying to install RAID or installing drivers but nothing is working. I originally had windows XP PRO x64 OEM but i heard Windows 7 will install all the drivers i needed. So now I'm trying to install Windows 7 and it is not working either! it says i need to install drivers on my CD/DVD but i have no idea how to, i tried the software that came with the drive and i tried finding it online but neither worked. help please!! :( 

Intel DP45SG mobo
NVIDIA GTX 260 graphics
2x Seagate Barracuda OEM HDD's
LG DVD/CD
4GB Kingston DDR3 (2x2)
Intel Core 2Duo Processor 3.0 GHz
OCZ 700W PS

Look for the CD that came with your motherboard. It should come with the necessary RAID drivers (which need to be loaded up before installing your OS). If you cannot find the CD then download them from the intel site.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

Very basic outline would be...

1) Find your drivers CD that came with your motherboard or Download RAID drivers from the intel site onto a USB flash drive/External HD/CD/DVD/Floppy
2) Setting up your Bios: Create Raid Array and Configuring etc
3) Insert windows 7 DVD and boot from CD/DVD drive
4) When you reach the installation step Click Browse
5) Search for your RAID drivers from step 1 and load them
6) Install OS (if you popped in a CD or DVD to load your drivers from the optical drive then make sure you switch back to your windows 7 DVD before attempting to install)
7) Install additional drivers etc have fun

Edit: Good luck and I think this was the wrong section to ask for help but oh well...Here is a more detailed outline or place you can read about RAID http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259807-32-raid
m
l
August 16, 2010 10:57:43 AM

It might help to start out with just one RAM slot populated when installing the Operating System too.

Only install the second DIMM afterwards, when the system is powered down and unplugged from the AC mains.

4GB RAM installations do not always go as expected.

The "exact" error, warning and/or other messages would also help hundreds of people flock to this forum thread btw.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2010 2:42:34 PM

If this is your first system build you might want to stay away from a RAID aray setup as it can get complicated to load.

1. Go to BIOS and turn of the raid funtion. (Consult your board manual on how to do this.) While in the BIOS ensure that the hard drive is detected.
2. Uninstall the second hard drive and load windows with only 1 hard drive.
3. When asked which drive and partition, select the drive, delete all partitions, and create new one, format NTFS.
4. It will also help to load the chipset drivers from the original CD or download from the the newest one from Intel once windows is loaded.
Intel Download Center
5. If this don't work please reply back on what the exact errors are.
m
l
August 16, 2010 7:15:41 PM

Ok im going to try these out, and Karma831, i have a 64 bit OS and the intel drivers only came with 32 bit. I tried installing from the intel website but it never worked.
m
l
August 19, 2010 9:35:19 PM

So i tried it out and it did not work. I tried it in AHCI mode with 4GB in, it came to an error message saying:

"A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive please insert it now."

I am using an LG CD/DVD with an IDE hookup. But i have it connected to a port that will convert my mobo to use the IDE, could it be the device thats converting the IDE to the mobo?
m
l
August 20, 2010 8:51:38 AM

Kevincurley, it is much easier for us to help you if give us all the details in your setup when you first open a thread instead of adding it later.

What are the normal interface for your drives without converters/adapters?
Are you trying to load the OS into a raid aray?

What the models of your drives and motherboard?
m
l
August 24, 2010 8:55:57 PM

the normal interface for everything is SATA, for my optical drive its IDE and i have it hooked up to a card that converts it in one of the PCI Bus connectors. I have 5 SATA slots and i was going to use 2 HDDs and i was wondering if i bought a SATA optical drive if i could just hook it up to one of the ports. Also i originally tried to set up my OS as a RAID array but i tried it on an AHCI setup which did not work.

LG GH22NP20 CD/DVD IDE
Intel DP45SG mobo
Seagate Barracuda HDD- ST3250318AS
m
l
August 25, 2010 8:23:05 AM

I've just recently upgraded my son's computer and windows 7 Home Premium 64bit did install flawlessly. It installed all the drivers inculding network and it evern installed the drivers for his GTX 260. I still upgraded all the drivers after to ensure compatability with his games.

The setup:
Athlon x2 2.8GhZ
Asus motherboad
an old LG IDE DVD ROM
SATA Western Digital 750 GB 32MB cache Hard Drive
Corsair 4GB DDR2 RAM

I set the DVD drive as master and connected it to the IDE port and the hard drive connected to the SATA1 port. I also installed an External SATA port.

Does you mobo have an IDE port? If it does I recomment connecting your DVD drive into it, set the bios to defaults, and connect only one hard drive for now. Once everthing is working if it does. then play with the raid array.

Noramally windows installation don't need extra drivers during load unless you have a raid setup.
m
l
August 25, 2010 8:07:50 PM

The mobo has no IDE ports, i think i might just get a SATA CD/DVD and reset my bios to defaults...good idea?
m
l
!