Not sure what it is

G

Well to make a long story short.

I'll be on the computer and somedays no issues. Or very minor ones. Other days issues. I'll be playing a game and all of the sudden my screen starts to break up. If I shutdown the game sometimes desktop looks fine and aero is static/breaking up. Sometimes even the desktop breaks up or gets static. I thought it was my video card. So replaced it with another 9800gt and same issue. I also formatted harddrive (vista 64) and install windows 7 (64). Same video issue. I did a windows memory test and passed with the current (4 gig gskill I have in now). I'm leaning towards bad motherboard memory. But not sure at this point. I have not found the culprit. As I type this I did a reboot and video back to normal. Not often but once in a great while I'll get a memory video error and windows will blue screen and dump. Asus p5k-vm, 9450 quad, gskill 4 gig (other 4 gig was removed windows found it bad)

G

PSU is 460 watt. Had it about 2 years now. When I built the system. I bought the psu, motherboard, nick-knacks, and video card. And was all the same for 2 years. Now something is starting to act up.

I noticed lastnight. I did originally have 8 gigs ram. But now 4 gigs. Because it did not pass windows test. I did the test when I started having these issues 4 months ago. But, I do not overclock. So had the thought, maybe the bio's auto memory timing clock is not right. So I went into bio's and looked and the timing was a bit off. So I went in the manual mode and set it to factory specs on gskill website. So far things are running decent. I'm still waiting to see if I have issues. Might be a reason my other 4 gig went bad. And the 4 I have in the system now might be hurt but hasn't failed yet. The auto setting on memory was at 5-5-5-9. The factory setting it should be at is 5-5-5-15. Not sure if that might be my problem but I did set it to factory spec after finding out it was off. (ddr2-800)

G

Ok I'll give that a whirl. See what happens. I also ordered a bigger psu 600 watt and new 8 gigs of ram ddr2-1066. So going to start over kinda. But this time I plan on setting everything manually and not use the asus motherboard auto settings.