Sign in with
Your question

WD5000AAKS not detected

Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2012 10:21:12 AM

My hdd (Western Digital 500GB Sata 2) is not detected in BIOS. Why? I tryed to install windows 7 but doesn't show up..

I hope to solve this problem because I really need him .. Thanks

MDL: WD5000AAKS - 00A7B2

More about : wd5000aaks detected

a b $ Windows 7
a c 86 G Storage
November 16, 2012 10:24:56 AM

Cause it's broken? Cause you didn't connect it? Did it work before? What's you mobo? Give us a little more info please!
November 16, 2012 10:31:31 AM

I don't know the cause and yes, he worked before. My motherboard is AsRock B75 Pro3.
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 16, 2012 10:39:35 AM

What happened? Did you change something or did it just disappear? If it just disappeared it may have failed. Give us some more information please.
November 16, 2012 10:52:30 AM

I don't know what happened, this hdd I have it from someone but he says he has not done anything wrong.. is not to good at pc's, probably he changed something in bios.. I don't know.. the fact is that worked before
a c 311 G Storage
November 16, 2012 6:01:44 PM

Does the drive spin up?

If you install the PM2 jumper (Power Up In Standby), can you see the drive in BIOS? You probably won't see the model number (it may be blank), but BIOS should register a device on that SATA port.

Jumper Settings for WD SATA and EIDE Hard Drives:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-001037...
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 16, 2012 7:21:31 PM

Ty a known good HDD and see if it does the same thing.
November 16, 2012 8:22:20 PM

fzabkar said:
Does the drive spin up?

If you install the PM2 jumper (Power Up In Standby), can you see the drive in BIOS? You probably won't see the model number (it may be blank), but BIOS should register a device on that SATA port.

Jumper Settings for WD SATA and EIDE Hard Drives:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/other/2579-001037...

The drive doesn't spin up

I installed the PM2 jumper but does not work..

Is possible to be broken? I hope not :) 
November 16, 2012 8:26:22 PM

ram1009 said:
Ty a known good HDD and see if it does the same thing.

I have an Samsung Spinpoint f3 sata 2 and no problem..
a c 311 G Storage
November 16, 2012 8:43:56 PM

If the drive doesn't spin up, then the PCB is most likely faulty. Can you see any damage? Was the drive overvolted by a bad power supply?

When swapping PCBs, be aware that most modern HDDs store unique, drive specific "adaptive" information in a serial EEPROM chip. This chip, or its contents, needs to be transferred from patient to donor. In WD drives, this chip is usually located at U12.

Unfortunately your PCB does not have a discrete serial flash memory chip. Instead it stores the adaptive data inside the Marvell MCU (the largest chip). In this case you will need a "PCB adaptation" service.

The following PCB supplier includes such a service for free:
http://www.donordrives.com/services

The reason I suggested the PM2 jumper was that sometimes a drive will spin up but remain busy because it cannot access the hidden System Area (SA) on the platters. By installing the jumper, you would be telling the drive not to access the SA, in which case it should come ready almost immediately, if the board is good.
November 16, 2012 8:56:52 PM

I understand. Thanks for helping me fzabkar. I think I'll buy another hdd :( 
!