Sign in with
Your question

Buy now or wait...?

Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2010 6:30:04 AM

Hey yall,
I am planning on buying components to build a new gaming pc from scratch soon. By the end of August, I will have a budget of ~$1,000. By Christmas I would have ~$1,500. My question is essentially this; will there be any substantial price drops for major components (GPU, CPU, Motherboard), or any new CPU's/ GPU's that will be around by the holiday season?
Also, if I do make my purchases soon, I am torn between Core i5 760 2.8Ghz and Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4Ghz. I need an SLI/crossfire motherboard by the way.
Finally, again, if i make my purchases soon, I am torn between eVGA GTX 460 1GB and Radeon HD 5770. I realize that a SINGLE GTX 460 is better than a SINGLE HD 5770, but if I make my purchase soon, I can afford to buy 2 Radeon HD 5770's and put them in CrossFirexX, where if i were to go with the GTX 460, I could only afford one now and have to wait until Christmas to add the second 460.
I realize I ask much, but my main concern is buying now vs. waiting. I know it seems obvious to wait because my budget increases by 50%, but I am quite satisfied with my build that i can afford now, and don't want to spend the extra $250-500 unless there are new (better) parts. Any and all answers are appreciated. Thank you in advance.
-JB

More about : buy wait

August 16, 2010 9:12:53 AM

Yes, Oct 22nd every year there are massive price drops as the next die shrink and/or new models get pushed onto the market.

Of course you could spend USD$850 or so, then just nudge it up a little after October.

The only components that never really seam to age are:

- Storage (a 320GB 7200rpm HDD is still 'good enough' by todays standards)
- Cases (They have actually gone up in price over the last 3 years)
- RAM (Too some degree, as it should usually last one or maybe two system upgrades)

Another option is buy what you need for a system in the reverse order of depreciation of parts.

There will always be better parts 6 months after you build, that is a fact of life.

Do you have a system now that you are happy with?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 16, 2010 9:28:47 AM

If you need a new system or if you really do not satisfied anymore (also not worth to upgrade) with your old system or if you don't have even a system or or if your system is already broken : Buy now!

If you can still live with your current system : Wait!

Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 16, 2010 9:34:56 AM

Well, people are talking about the new socket from Intel coming in the next 6 months or so that will make LGA1156 obsolete. Also 1156 suffers from limitations in regards to USB 3.0 and SATA III.
For future proofing this leaves either X58 or AMD as the platforms of choice.

Best bang for buck I believe would be an AMD rig with either the 890GX or FX. I would get the X4 955 if interested in overclocking, it will yield about the same as the 965.
Get the HD 5770(s) and I like the 890FX board from msi. This will be a fast machine that will have an upgrade path when some newer processors come out next year.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 16, 2010 9:42:34 AM

The only reason I would wait is for price drops. My computers last 3-5 years so I don't care what new sockets come out, it only matters to me because current CPUs come down in price - if I were waiting for the new sockets I would still buy the i5 760 (or Phenom II x4 965) because they have all the power I need for a long while and would be much cheaper than the new stuff I have no use for.

As for the card debate. If going Intel I would get the GTX460. I would rather have that and bu another later than buy two 5770s. The GTX460 1gb version should do you fine until you can afford another one, especially if you OC it. When you buy a second one theperformance you get from 2 of them far outshines that of CF 5770s
a b B Homebuilt system
August 16, 2010 9:59:54 AM

With $1000 you can get a HD 5850.
August 16, 2010 10:11:30 AM

You should heed the advice from guanyu210379 that's most sensibile thing to do in my opinion too.
Prices are rarely going up, only when there is stocking shortages maybe, so this means you are always going to buy something better if you wait.

Looking onto your considerations, I would recommend 760, as it seems to be 750 with only higher frequency - that has most favorable review not only on this site, and it should save you a bit in energy consumption when you are aiming for dual-gpu.
That phenom needs more power, produces more heat and it is only 30 euro cheaper here - less power = less heat - less blowing fans (or rpm), less noise. You could consider Phenom if you would have tight money, but i760 seems to fit into you budget.

Also I would be not very concerned with SATA III as only SSD are going to use that bandwith, and SATA II bandwith is very high.
You would have to look very hard to justify SATA III on gaming pc. I am completly satisfied with loading times on my conventional hdd and SSD are too expensive and not tested by wide user base. Also it has shorter projected longevity, if it would be enough I am not able to say, but normal hdd are breaking too - it means that SSD will have more failures with high probabilty.

Thruth that Intel is producing new socket almost every weekend and AMD is more user friendly in this regard. But i750 have some very good overclocking capabalities and I think the same could be said about that i760 too and it should age nicely.

But on christmas and holidays there are always some nice savings to be had, when I bough my computer in january this year I saved some 10% all-together so if you are willing to wait for christmas you will have more power for less money, almost for sure.
August 16, 2010 12:55:19 PM

It really doesn't matter now anyways...All games are written for the consoles and port back over to the pc...Meaning any duo-core cpu and decent graphics card will play in HD!!!!!
The only game that would require such new power would be Flight Sim X on 3 screens at 1080p....
So you really have to look at what you're running to validate any huge purchase at this time.....
Hope this helps....JQ
!