A 256gb SSD will hold a lot of games besides the OS and a few programs and the money that you save from buying the 480gb SSD you could take and get the Western Digital Veloceraptor of either 600 gb or 1 tb and that way you have a 10,000 rpm hard drive that's faster then the regular hard drives.
The Samsung 840 256 gb is a great drive and I just got one and will be changing my OS onto it soon , I currently have it on a Samsung 830 256 gb SSD so that one will be used for storage.

As for your questions the games you play will use the resources that you have on your computer whether it's online or not.
The OS should definetly go on the SSD and that would also make the most out of your SSD.

jmac_789

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Just a quick comment on the last post, these days with 20-60gb game installs, 256 gb is just not enough for your OS drive if you plan to also use it to install games.
Go with the 480+ gb, as every single game i know installs at least 5 games at one time on their machine. I don't know anyone that will install a game, play it to the end, uninstall it, then install the next game the will play. THey install multiple games and switch between.
You will quickly see the limit on the 256 gb if you are planning on installing the latest games.

If you're going to go with a HDD and SDD combo, possibly consider an SSD cache drive to boost your system performance, or look into hybrid drives.