PSU Recommendation Please!

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hello, could use your sagely advice on which PSU to get for my build. I'm going to list all future possible upgrades since I'm trying to set the bar high and buy the biggest PSU up front just in case I need it (small increase in cost up front is worth the investement to potentially avoid huge money sink later on, correct?) ;)

Alright so here is my planned build:

Intel Core i7-950 - 8M Cache, 3.06 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (maybe something stronger, I'm not sure yet)

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

3 x 2GB (6GB Total) PC3-16000 RAM (most likely corsair)

2 x GeForce GTX 460 1GB GPU in SLI (Maybe I'll get a pair of 470's instead, not quite sure yet)

(1TB or 1.5TB not sure of brand yet) 7,200 RPM HD

Two SSD's running in RAID 0 (these will definitely be in the distant future once prices have gone down, so not sure what other info to list for this)

LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support

Cooler Master Storm Sniper Case - has a fan controller, and all in all it will have 3x 120mm fans, 1x 140mm fan and 1x 200mm fan all with LED lights

Oh, and I would like to overclock all components possible! Alright, so I tried a few PSU calculators. Some told me to get 750W, others 850W. My concern is that if I'm already going to be pushing that high should I might as well go for a 950W just to really cover a potential future video card upgrade (or something else) or will I have absolutely no use for one, in which case I'll stick with an 850W.

Lastly, I want to get a corsair brand hands down, but I was a bit confused by all of the different colors of PSU's and their '80' brands. I don't think I want or need the HX (modular) series. They're more expensive and I heard it doesn't really matter between modular or regular (sniper has excellent cable management so that is not my concern).

Also, the black (builder series) ones seem new but expensive, so I guess its safe to rule those out? Not sure what they are used for specifically anyways.

So that leaves (and excuse my noobness here) the yellow and orange ones (TX series)... What is the difference between these exactly and should I care? lol I feel like such a noob not knowing why one is a different color. On a side note, I always hear about this 12V rail stuff and think I know what the gist of it is. Basically stick with a single rail is the consensus correct?

Here are the three I think I'm left choosing from. As you can currently see there is a sale on newegg so a quick response would be great so I can place my order before the rebate expires. Thanks! ;)

750W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

850W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

950W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139013

Edit: Just realized the rebate deal expires August 15th! I believe newegg goes off PST time for orders though based on my previous invoices so I think I'll be safe. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
lol alright thanks for that! 850W - 1, everything else - 0

Could you please reassure me with a bit more information that the 850W is the best choice? :p sry lol just want to be certain before I purchase. Thx!

dj1997

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
because the 850 leaves some for future upgrades and dont just give you power you wont ever use but if in the future if you decide to get stronger cpu like i7 980x id reccomend getting the 950 now

A good 750 would do fine, an 850-900 would leave some room for expansions such as GTX 460 tri-SLI. Since all of the ones you chose are good, I'd say either the 750 or the 850 would do fine, and the 950 would work, but it's realistically overkill.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Great! Alright so 850W it is then. I've heard that the corsair 850TX is a rather old design and that it may be better to go with an alternative company when it comes to PSU selection. I always read that corsair's were the best hands down when it came to PSU's but perhaps I am mistaken.

Would any of you recommend a different PSU or should I just stick with the corsair? Thx!

It's an older design, yes, but it's still excellent. It's rock solid stable and reliable, but you do sacrifice a bit on efficiency compared to a newer model. They did just come out with a brand new 850 that hits 80+ gold efficiency level (just about the best out there), and is even better than the 850TX in every way, but it's a bit more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=AX850

(OK, so it's quite a lot more expensive, but it does come with modular cables :D)

Corsair are good. But it's not like they're light years ahead of any other brand. Here's an 80Plus Silver PSU for you, from one of the best actual manufacturers of PSUs: Seasonic S12D 850W 80Plus Silver $120 ($6 shipping).

The TX and newer HXs are produced by CWT. AX is by Flextronics. Efficiency is the next divider between them. TX have the lowest efficiency out of Corsair PSUs, HX is a step up - to Bronze and Silver, AX is Gold.
I don't think the number of rails is that important in most cases.

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Newegg actually posted another similar rebate on the 850TX PSU so there was no need to rush lol. Believe it or not, I bought the storm sniper early on Friday and it still has not shipped. The Corsair 850TX which I bought late last night shipped before I even woke up this morning. What gives newegg?! The one time I hope for slow shipping they have to go and pull a fast one on me lol jerks

so yea, comforting to hear that the corsair units are at least up to snuff if not top of the line ;)

lol yea almost double what I'm paying now :p Great recommendation though! Wish they were just a tad cheaper for gold efficiency, that'd be awesome. I heard modular puts forth slightly more electrical resistance due to the extra connections, although I doubt its an issue since there are so many modular products out there though, just something I think I'll avoid since its more expensive anyways. $$$ I could dump into other parts of the build I suppose.

I actually had quite an extensive discussion regarding the fans in another thread and that point was brought up. From what I understand though, placing two 120mm's exhausts on the top of the sniper and an intake 200mm on the side was the best setup. The only thing I may omit is the bottom 140mm intake since that might disrupt airflow creating deadzones (plus I'm not sure the sniper can support that many LED's through the fan controller, don't want something permanently on lol, might just keep the 200mm on the top and add an extra 200mm on the side and that way they can all be shut off). Is that pretty much correct or am I missing something else?

Thanks, didn't realize I was in the wrong section ;)

So is the efficiency increase worth the additional cost? I managed to snag the 850TX for 110$ so is upgrading to the seasonic you mentioned going to pay back for itself in the long run or is the difference negligible? Thanks!

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Thank you very much for your concern about the i7-950 as my CPU selection. I actually live nearby a microcenter where they have the i7-930 for only $200 which is a great price!

However, I read an article (here on tom's hardware as a matter of fact) that intel plans on price dropping their i7-950 before the end of the month to the current price of the i7-930's ($294 MSRP). My hope is that micocenter will make it available at $200 as well so if they do I will snag it at that price point.

Otherwise yes, I will definitely get the i7-930 in its place! Hopefully even cheaper if the price drops trickle down ;) Thanks very much for pointing that out though, I appreciate it! I promise you I'm not going to waste cash on a mistake like that when it comes to CPU selection lol

I can't answer that question, as I can't (don't know how to) do electricity bill maths. Also if you've already got the 850TX then you might as well just keep it.

beans4you

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
lol i got the corsair 850w tx. I was going to test run it with a fan plugged in (before i got all my parts) it didnt boot... being the noob i am! I START FLIPPING OUT RMA RMA RMA! ********* then I find a "how to jumpstart your psu" and i stick in a paper clip and it works. I then think back to how to build a circuit and go oh yeah.. The motherboard would complete the open ended circuit.. DOH!.. I then wait another week for the other half of my same day purchased parts... 480s and stuff ya Canada needs to get with the times.. and bam I'm up and running :D GET the 850w tx corsair its a good brand!

blitzace

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

That makes two of us *facepalm* and thanks based on what I've heard the 850TX was probably the best choice to begin with so have no regrets of ordering it ;) Thx

lol! Its funny you mentioned that because I was literally going to do the exact same thing! Have the storm sniper + an extra fan lying around that I wanted to test out. Looks like I'll have to paper-clip it or wait for the rest of my parts (which I have not ordered yet) before testing things out doh

and I am a computer science major, boy would my prof's be upset with me :eek: