If I have 2 gtx480's in SLI do they run physx as well?

FLYFX

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
I recently bought 2 ZOTAC gtx480 AMP edition video cards and they take up all the available space for a physx card on my X58 Classified mobo due to the enormous heat spreader and fans.

So I was wondering, if I have both cards in SLI and then enable Physx as well what happens? Is my second 480 simply a really expensive physx card or is it also boosting my graphics frames per second in SLI? Do I lose a lot of graphic power with my second card running SLI and physx simultaneously?

Hope someone can make some sense of this doubt I have.

vpsaline

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Good question, I want to know this as well. Because it was my understand that sli with physx means one gpu does the graphics and the other the physx. If thats the case, im assuming its a big hit to fps!

notty22

Distinguished
You would want to leave your sli enabled in Nvidia's control panel and the physX on automatic(recommended) setting.
The drivers and the game engine will enable physX the best way it can. You get the extra graphics available.
In the weird event a new game comes out that supports physX, but does not yet support SLI, then you could go through the extra steps of changing settings in Nvidia control panel ,
to disable SLI
Select the secondary card to be dedicated physX
Thats not going to happen often.