Help getting rid of nvidia drivers and all the crap that came with it

Kamikazi5983

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
so dell shipped me a 630i with dual 9800 gt with a e8400. i want to get rid of all nvidias crap like its phisx profile, control panel, nvpprofile, and system monitor(because its garbage and i want to replace it with rivatuner to overclock). i also want to clear all drivers that i have on my computer because i downloaded the new ones without deleting the last ones and i think it messed up. so i need to know how to do it. i get to add-remove programs and delete drivers and it gives me the option to delete the nvidia driver and display driver, or except display driver. also after i delete the drivers the integrated gpu should take over right? after i delete them where should i go to get the lastest drivers dell.com or nvidia?
soo confused. any help is appreciated

Solution
The drivers/control panel/physx can be removed in the control panel(select add/remove programs or programs and features depending on your OS.) Use that. If you want to be extra safe run Driver Sweeper in safe mode afterwards;
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
After deleting the drivers your card will use the default vga drivers that come with Windows.
Then install the latest drivers Psycho linked you to.
Afterward you can disable any of nvidias background programs and services through msconfig and services.msc(type them in the run box from the start menu.)
I know for a single card it should operate fine with everything disabled but you are saying you have an SLI set up. I'm not certain if both cards will be functional if you...
The drivers/control panel/physx can be removed in the control panel(select add/remove programs or programs and features depending on your OS.) Use that. If you want to be extra safe run Driver Sweeper in safe mode afterwards;
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
After deleting the drivers your card will use the default vga drivers that come with Windows.
Then install the latest drivers Psycho linked you to.
Afterward you can disable any of nvidias background programs and services through msconfig and services.msc(type them in the run box from the start menu.)
I know for a single card it should operate fine with everything disabled but you are saying you have an SLI set up. I'm not certain if both cards will be functional if you get rid of everything. Perhaps someone else knows?

Solution
If you open the task manager(ctrl-alt-del) and look at the running processes you will likely spot a handful that start with nv and say they are Nvidia related in the description. Some of them will be startup items you can uncheck in the startup tab of msconfig and one or two will be from services you can disable through services.msc.
If you would like to further fine tune windows while you have services.msc running here is a good site to tell you what all the services do and which can or should be turned off;
http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

Kamikazi5983

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

shouldn't I turn them off before I install the drivers though? And I am running sli I don't know if that will be a problem?

Well you are uninstalling the old drivers, that will get rid of them anyway. Then installing the new ones would put them back anyway so you would have to turn them off again.
Like I said I'm not sure if you need any of them for SLI. If you need any of them I suspect it would be the Nvidia Driver Helper Service or the control panel and the rest you can turn off. Try turning them off and see what happens. You can always turn them back on if you desire. For each there's plenty of info on exactly what they do online so just google them to find out more and if it is really something you want to get rid of.