TrinityDark

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Hello,
Motherboard: M4A88T-V EVO usb/3.0
RAM: 2x2gb, 2x4gb G-skill DDR3
Processor: AMD Phenom II x6
Graphics Card: XFX HD-685X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6850

After awhile of messing with the RAM to get win 7 64 bit installed I had issues with my RAM through installation and after. I have 12GB sticks worth of RAM 2 x 2gb G-skill, 2 x 4gb G-skill. During installation I got a ton of blue screens and finally realized that I should start with the least amount of RAM which I used one 2gb stick of G-skill RAM to install windows. Once I installed it successfully I tried putting in all the RAM but soon got a blue screen using the OS. So I tried switching the RAM up into the different channels with the 2gb and 4gb together but to no avail I still receive a blue screen. Now I checked my motherboards compatibility list and not even one 4gb stick of RAM appears to be compatible with this Motherboard so I am curious why the motherboard is listed as a 16GB motherboard installed memory when there is only 4 slots for RAM and it can only take 2GB sticks of RAM leaving me with 8GB RAM available. Would switching up the channels help to stop a blue screen or some bio settings help would be appreciated.

shredder777

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Try running each pair in dual channel. That way you can isolate the bad sticks. If that doesn't work use a program called memtester.
http://www.memtest.org/
just burn the program to a desk, set your mobo to boot from dvd drive and wait for memtester to do its job. ps it is going to take a while.

popatim

Titan
First I would check the specs (voltage and timings) and insure the bios had set those properly. I would stick with 1333 speeds to begin with. It may be you have some ram that need higher voltage than the other ram and neither works well at the wrong voltage.

If it fails at this then test as shredder mentioned. I would test the 2x2bg pair first then the 2x4gb. If either pair fails the test those sticks individually.

Don't be too concerned about the memory compatibility list, they only test what they have available at the time the board is about to be released and rarely go back and retest new modules.