deserthermit

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I plan on building a gamming computer. This is my first build. I am accumulating about 1 part per month, my budget allowing. So far I have an AZZA Solano 1000r case and a Cooler Master GX series rs650w power source. This month I am getting the processor.
I like the
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

And I also like the

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

The quad has L2 4x512cache and the Dual has the same L2 cache and L3 6mb. Does this difference make a difference in gaming. I have read many debates on quad vs. dual and I am still confused. I have about 130$ in my budget, want to build amd. Any suggesti

Solution
One problem with buying a part at a time is that if you get a part that's bad and needs to be returned, you won't know until you get the whole thing put together.

In general, I think the best budget AMD processor is the Athlon II X3 440 or 445 (depending on the price difference -- last week they were $1 apart).

If you want more detailed advice, filling out the info requested in How to Ask for New Build Advice would be a great help.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
One problem with buying a part at a time is that if you get a part that's bad and needs to be returned, you won't know until you get the whole thing put together.

In general, I think the best budget AMD processor is the Athlon II X3 440 or 445 (depending on the price difference -- last week they were $1 apart).

If you want more detailed advice, filling out the info requested in How to Ask for New Build Advice would be a great help.

Solution

deserthermit

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
This is my very first build ever. I will basically be building it all myself, with only knowledge I have read online. I considered saving up and getting all the parts at once, but I am not that disciplined and would probably spend my savings premature. But, I am getting all the parts with a warranty...just in case. I have read that not much gamming software uses multiple core technology. But what about in a couple years? And what about l3 cache? I like the 440 x3. Anyway, thank you for the info.

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Another point is that every 18 months parts get half as expensive per unit performance. So say you build your system over 12 months (not crazy at 1 month/part). The part you bought at the beginning is now a 66% worse price/performance part.

Obviously, some things like hard drives, ram, cases, and power supplies move slower, but things like CPUs move so fast it makes no sense to buy them 1 at a time. Buy the CPU/GPU/mobo absolutely last if you have to collect parts piecemeal.

deserthermit

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Well there was a change of the plan in building my gaming pc. A relative of mine gave me a cpu....An Intel E8500 3.16Ghz dual core, So the plan has changed. So I investigated some motherboards and ordered one I liked. I ordered the Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P. Next I will be ordering the memory. The memory standard on the motherboard reads
DDR3 2200 (OC)/1333/1066/800
Which memory would be best for building my gamming comp? Plus the board supports 1.5v for the memory.
How will I know which are compatable?