Mini-itx gaming build

omnomnom

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 08/20/2010 (in four days)

BUDGET RANGE: $1500 can go a little over ($100)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: starcraft2/FF14/diablo3/gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS (windows 7 64 bit, thermal paste (i have some AS5 left over from my MATX build :] )

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: gibsonburg, OH

PARTS PREFERENCES:intel/nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No, i wish lol

MONITOR RESOLUTION: i have a samsung px2370 23 inch widescreen monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: i want a pure LAN gaming build i have a few questions tho

can the motherboard support Intel Core i7-860S Lynnfield 2.53GHz LGA 1156 82W Quad-Core ?

would the GTX460 be the best GPU with this build? (paired with the 450w psu of course)

what heatsink should i use for this build ?

what HD should i use for the build? should i get a SSD? i need something that wont take up to much room :p

thank you for looking

heres my build list

CASE: SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B Black SECC / Plastic Mini-ITX

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-860S Lynnfield 2.53GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 82W Quad-Core

PSU: SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W SFX12V 80 PLUS

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

HEATSINK: Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler

NeoElemental

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
If you're going to go with 1156 socket, why not just go with a 760? Since you are planning on cooling the cpu anways, you could definitely oc the 760. 460 is a great pairing w/ this setup (imo), since it has pretty low heat output and low power draw. Have heard some iffy things about the EE EVGA setup, as some prefer the open face versions.

rainvie1

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
looks good to me. curious: why the mini-itx?

just make sure the cooling will fit with the GPU and RAM. it would suck if you couldnt fit it. EDIT: sorry about the pun.

thought- maybe go with a modular PSU to open up the airflow, the wires will be pretty crowded in there.

omnomnom

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
well i read this article which sparked my interest in mini-itx in the first place

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/08/13/gaming-in-tight-spaces-mini-itx-featuring-gigabyte-silverstone-and-prolimatech/

i already have a Micro atx build (i have pics if you want to see ) but i thought of this as a fun little gaming mini mean machine to carry when i travel/meet with friends portability is my big thing

Chuunthor

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
That's a fantastic article.

Don't listen to the mini-ITX haters. ITX makes a perfectly viable gaming system, providing you choose the right case. Sure, they're small and there's not a lot of room on the inside, but that doesn't meant they wont work, especially if space saving size and portability are important.

The Gigabyte motherboard your looking at will handle any of the LGA1156 Lynnfield and Clarkdale processors including the i7-860S

EVGA recommends a minimum 450 watt power supply for that card so your ok there. There wont be a lot of other hardware drawing power on a mini-ITX system. It's a good choice for a mini-ITX build. The other would be a Radeon 5850/70.

The case is also a popular choice. Many mini-ITX builds are using the Sugo's. You might want to check out the new mini-ITX offerings from Lian Li. They have the PC-Q08 mini-ITX case that is quite small and will also fit a standard PSU and has 2 expansions slots for your video card.

Try the cooler from that article. Another popular choice is the Corsair H50. The bracket needs very simple modding to fit the GA-H55N, but its popular in the PC-Q08 ITX builds. Don't know if the Sugo will have room for it.

There some more great mini-ITX gaming information at ITXGamer.

Enjoy your new ITX system and happy gaming.