Does an Ultra ATA Hard Drive=7200 rpm?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 5, 2004 9:17:46 AM

Hi, I have started shopping for a new laptop, an have noticed
that most laptops have a HD speed of 5400 rpm. The laptop ads that
list a 7200 rpm hard drive have the "Ultra ATA" description beside it.
Does
the listing of "Ultra ATA" automatically mean a 7200 rpm hard drive or
can it mean a 5400 rpm hard drive?

Thanks,

thefirstwml
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 5, 2004 12:48:55 PM

thefirstwml wrote:

> Hi, I have started shopping for a new laptop, an have noticed
> that most laptops have a HD speed of 5400 rpm. The laptop ads that
> list a 7200 rpm hard drive have the "Ultra ATA" description beside it.
> Does
> the listing of "Ultra ATA" automatically mean a 7200 rpm hard drive or
> can it mean a 5400 rpm hard drive?

Ultra ATA is the interface, more precisely "UDMA". And it's actually pretty
much a meaningless term. But no, all ATA drives on the market today
support "Ultra ATA". You have to check the speed to be sure you're getting
7200 RPM.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

No, not necessarily. Ultra-ATA refers to the transfer protocol between
the CPU and drive over the IDE channel. It's unrelated to the
rotational speed of the disk platters. It may well be that most
Ultra-ATA drives are 7200 rpm and/or vice versa, but not such
presumption can automatically be drawn.

!