[Prebuilt]M11xR2 i5 vs i7 for WoW

so im saving up for an m11x and im debating on which core i should go with.what i would like to know is which core will bring better performance for gaming on wow i would like to be able to run settings on high and i know either core wont run settings on ultra, now i know that the i5 seems better from what ive read around the forums and getting a i7 wont benefit me much since wow would only 2 cores, yes i know setting the affinity would make the i7 use the 4 cores but wouldnt be much of a performance increase now only reason im looking into the i7 is that ill last longer in terms of being able to play newer games in the future but i dont really see my self playn any but its nice to know im not buying a dying outdated core, main things i would use the m11x for would be playing WoW and maybe some mw2 btw anyone know if thats playable with this lil monster, also another point i was looking into the i7 was that maybe when cata hits itll make more use of the i7 so im stuck as to which core to go for what i really want out of this laptop is to be able to run a 25 man with decent settings and not be sitting there jittering around. money is a lil tight for me so trying to save as much on the setup, in an nut shell would i benefit more from the i5 vs i7

core i5
4gRam
250 7200HDD

or

core i7
4gram
160 5200HDD
8 answers Last reply
More about prebuilt m11xr2
  1. Go with the i7, and if you are planning to build your own computer, buy the CPU from MicroCenter. They have the best i7 prices for walk-in customers.
  2. this setup is coming from alienware.com and that doesnt help much
  3. alienware? I hope these people are down to earth!
  4. which i7 for the laptop, if its the 620 or 640, don't bother as they are dual cores, but if it's the 720 or 740 (or higher) i would just as they are quad cores (even though WoW only uses 2 threads, other games use more now)

honestly, what is your budget, i bet we can find a better spec laptop for the same price from newegg (it might be 15" laptop screen or so)
  5. main budget im shooting for atleast min 1000 most ill go will be maybe 1300
    Intel® Core™ i7 640UM (4M Cache, 1.2 GHZ with 2.266 GHz Max is the one there offering, vs Intel® Core™ i5 520UM (3M Cache, 1.066 GHZ with 1.866 GHz Max also another reason i wanted the m11xr2 was the backlit keyboard since i play mostly at night and cant see jack *** most of the time when i try typing,
  6. MSI GX660-053US

right near the top of the budget, but with a mobility 5870 (which will perform somewhere between a 5750 and 5770)
  7. I have an m11xr2 with i7, 500gb drive & 8mb. I did a fresh install of windows 7 and got rid of all the alienware crap, and I am very satisfied with the computer. I am not a big gamer, but I do play SC2 and it will play at over 50fps at high quality until the number of troops gets too high. Mostly I play with medium quality, which is fine for me on an 11 inch screen and average over 60 fps (which is more than enough for me).

I am a medical student so a LOT of what I do with the computer is research, ekgs etc, and the computer is quite fast for that. Mainly I went with an m11x because I wanted something small, easy to carry, which could play games when I am on call or otherwise stuck somewhere I can't leave.

I WISH they would put a quad core low voltage in the computer, but such is life. I usually do not overclock unless I am playing ladder (platinum division).

I like the little computer. I also wish they would make one that doesn't look like an alienware... get rid of all the chintzy crap and just stuff the same power into an 11r. THEN I would love the computer...
  8. Belrias said:
    I have an m11xr2 with i7, 500gb drive & 8mb. I did a fresh install of windows 7 and got rid of all the alienware crap, and I am very satisfied with the computer. I am not a big gamer, but I do play SC2 and it will play at over 50fps at high quality until the number of troops gets too high. Mostly I play with medium quality, which is fine for me on an 11 inch screen and average over 60 fps (which is more than enough for me).

A fresh install of Windows 7, interesting! When you say you got rid of all the alienware crap what exactly are you referring to? I have a M11xR2 I7. It didn't come loaded with much ...... I think. You know something I don't perhaps.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems Intel i7 World Of Warcraft Core Intel i5 Systems Product