Sign in with
Your question

[Prebuilt]M11xR2 i5 vs i7 for WoW

Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2010 5:24:23 PM

so im saving up for an m11x and im debating on which core i should go with.what i would like to know is which core will bring better performance for gaming on wow i would like to be able to run settings on high and i know either core wont run settings on ultra, now i know that the i5 seems better from what ive read around the forums and getting a i7 wont benefit me much since wow would only 2 cores, yes i know setting the affinity would make the i7 use the 4 cores but wouldnt be much of a performance increase now only reason im looking into the i7 is that ill last longer in terms of being able to play newer games in the future but i dont really see my self playn any but its nice to know im not buying a dying outdated core, main things i would use the m11x for would be playing WoW and maybe some mw2 btw anyone know if thats playable with this lil monster, also another point i was looking into the i7 was that maybe when cata hits itll make more use of the i7 so im stuck as to which core to go for what i really want out of this laptop is to be able to run a 25 man with decent settings and not be sitting there jittering around. money is a lil tight for me so trying to save as much on the setup, in an nut shell would i benefit more from the i5 vs i7

core i5
4gRam
250 7200HDD

or

core i7
4gram
160 5200HDD

More about : prebuilt m11xr2 wow

August 17, 2010 3:42:47 AM

Go with the i7, and if you are planning to build your own computer, buy the CPU from MicroCenter. They have the best i7 prices for walk-in customers.
m
l
August 18, 2010 6:06:52 AM

this setup is coming from alienware.com and that doesnt help much
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2010 11:29:15 AM

alienware? I hope these people are down to earth!
m
l
August 18, 2010 1:24:16 PM

which i7 for the laptop, if its the 620 or 640, don't bother as they are dual cores, but if it's the 720 or 740 (or higher) i would just as they are quad cores (even though WoW only uses 2 threads, other games use more now)

honestly, what is your budget, i bet we can find a better spec laptop for the same price from newegg (it might be 15" laptop screen or so)
m
l
August 20, 2010 5:36:57 PM

main budget im shooting for atleast min 1000 most ill go will be maybe 1300
Intel® Core™ i7 640UM (4M Cache, 1.2 GHZ with 2.266 GHz Max is the one there offering, vs Intel® Core™ i5 520UM (3M Cache, 1.066 GHZ with 1.866 GHz Max also another reason i wanted the m11xr2 was the backlit keyboard since i play mostly at night and cant see jack *** most of the time when i try typing,
m
l
August 20, 2010 8:47:37 PM

MSI GX660-053US

right near the top of the budget, but with a mobility 5870 (which will perform somewhere between a 5750 and 5770)
m
l
October 2, 2010 3:48:12 PM

I have an m11xr2 with i7, 500gb drive & 8mb. I did a fresh install of windows 7 and got rid of all the alienware crap, and I am very satisfied with the computer. I am not a big gamer, but I do play SC2 and it will play at over 50fps at high quality until the number of troops gets too high. Mostly I play with medium quality, which is fine for me on an 11 inch screen and average over 60 fps (which is more than enough for me).

I am a medical student so a LOT of what I do with the computer is research, ekgs etc, and the computer is quite fast for that. Mainly I went with an m11x because I wanted something small, easy to carry, which could play games when I am on call or otherwise stuck somewhere I can't leave.

I WISH they would put a quad core low voltage in the computer, but such is life. I usually do not overclock unless I am playing ladder (platinum division).

I like the little computer. I also wish they would make one that doesn't look like an alienware... get rid of all the chintzy crap and just stuff the same power into an 11r. THEN I would love the computer...
m
l
January 24, 2011 10:58:29 PM

Belrias said:
I have an m11xr2 with i7, 500gb drive & 8mb. I did a fresh install of windows 7 and got rid of all the alienware crap, and I am very satisfied with the computer. I am not a big gamer, but I do play SC2 and it will play at over 50fps at high quality until the number of troops gets too high. Mostly I play with medium quality, which is fine for me on an 11 inch screen and average over 60 fps (which is more than enough for me).

A fresh install of Windows 7, interesting! When you say you got rid of all the alienware crap what exactly are you referring to? I have a M11xR2 I7. It didn't come loaded with much ...... I think. You know something I don't perhaps.
m
l
!