Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 and CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 Mermory Issues

cstaylo0

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I have been having random reboots, BSOD's and memory related issues since I have built my PC. They don't happen all the time, but it is getting to the point where it is very frustrating.

I have two sets of CMX4GX3M2A1600C9, giving me a total of 8 GB. If I only put 4GB (one set) into the machine, everything runs like it should. If I put the additional 4 GB into the machine, that is when I start seeing problems.

MemTest+ always gives me very skewed results. Today, the first time I ran it, I got errors. After it failed the test, I took each stick out, and tested them individually. They all passed. I even tried them in each slot, all came back perfect. So then I added each stick back in one at a time and ran MemTest, they all passed without error. It only seems to fail when I have been doing something strenuous (like gaming).

I really don't know what the problem might be, so I am coming to you! Why does everything screw up when all 8GB are in the machine? And it only fails MemTest sometimes... Voltage, or Timing Issue? Processor issue? Help me out!

I am including my BIOS setting to see if that gives any hints. I just turned off XMP to see if that helps my issues, so I will update that later today!

Here's the link for my BIOS settings: http://imgur.com/a/DQr0t#tuQXX

Thank you very much!

Below are my PC specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 Processor 2.66 GHz
Memory: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 (2 sets, for a total of 8GB)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX460-1 GB GDDR5
Power Supply: EarthWatts EA650 650W Power Supply

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

The RAM is Tested for your MOBO -> http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1330346

One set is fine as XMP is fine but Two Sets as XMP 7/10 is not, so 4x__GB XMP should be Disabled; if you look at the QVL list you'll often see 2 DIMM {*} and 4 DIMM { } meaning XMP with 4-sticks even though the same RAM will fail.

Specs: CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24-2T @ 1.65v
CPU: Intel i5 750 2.66GHz can run 1600 MHz ; it's borderline at 2.66GHz + 1600 MHz RAM and sometimes requires a BCLK = 160 MHz, Memory Multiplier = 10, and lowering the CPU Multiplier if you don't want to OC the CPU. The equivalent Ratio is 20 * 133 = X * 160 ; X = {~17}.

BIOS:
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
System Memory Multiplier -> 12 (12*133 MHz)
DRAM Timing Selectable -> Auto or Quick ; example for Quick manual:
CAS Latency Time -> 9
tRCD -> 9
tRP -> 9
tRAS -> 24
Command Rate (CMD) -> 2
--
QPI/Vtt Voltage -> Auto or 1.30v if problems persist
DRAM Voltage -> 1.65v {normally 1.64v is selectable and is okay}

Save & Exit = Yes

Good Luck!

AtaliaA1

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I saw that your BIOS ver. was F11 that is the latest ver. for that board. With enhanced Memory Compatability. 8/2010 is the BIOS date. I assume they got it right otherwise there would have been another update to the bios. Take a look at the MBs ram housing to see if it is broken and not seating right. I saw nothing in your bios that was off, but it is possible that I missed it. as I am at work and had time to only paruse it.

cstaylo0

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Thank you very much for the fast reply! I have had XMP turned on the entire time I have had the machine, so that very well may be the problem. I will make the adjustments you have suggested, and try it out! Hopefully this will fix the problems. I will report back!

You provided quite a bit of useful information! Are you saying I might have problems getting to 1600 MHz on the RAM because of my processor speed?

Every MOBO handles the 2.66GHz diffidently, and yes often the BCLK can cause an issue with your speed CPU and 1600 MHz or faster RAM.

ATALIAA1 had a good point that I overlooked, and a BIOS flash may or may not help, though most of the 'Memory Compatibility' BIOS are aimed at 4GB density sticks. So if what I suggests fails a valid consideration is a BIOS update.

266DOCP.jpg

cstaylo0

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I also noticed from GigaByte's website: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3439#sp

It says: "4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory." It does let me set the Voltage to 1.65, but is it really achieving this? As their site says the sockets are 1.5V.

Both the P55 and X58 Intel can run 1.65v RAM with no problems. If you Load Optimized then the RAM reverts back to SPD or 1333 MHz and the Corsair at SPD do/should run perfectly fine at 1.50v, but at 'Tested' 1600 MHz it's 1.65v -> http://www.corsair.com/cmx4gx3m2a1600c9.html the performance difference is very minimal and maybe 1~3% at most.

Once the RAM is stable run Memtest.

However, I'd take a closer look at the listed Critical errors in the Event Manager. There might be something else going on. If so the first thing I do is run MSCONFIG -> Diagnostic to see if the issues clear up.
Event_Manager.jpg

cstaylo0

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Well, If I move the BLCK up to 160, the memory multiplier to 10 and the CPU multiplier to 17, the machine wont boot up. So, I disable XMP and left the BCLK at 133 and the settings I already had it at, and it ran fine all day yesterday. I am happy as long as my machine runs like it should! :D Any reason you can think of as to why it wouldn't boot at the higher settings?