SB850 and Samsung HD issue

morabors

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I bought a new Mobo yesterday (ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3). I went to put my existing/known working Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ in and it is not recognized. This appears to be a well known issue that requires a patch (F3)from Samsung to be installed (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=308)
Couple of questions,
1-Has anyone done this and does it resolve the issue?
2-Can I run this patch on my drive even though the drive is fully functional? In other words, I dont have to format the drive first? Hopefully if completed properly all my info on this drive remains intact?
Does anyone know step by step what needs to be done as I have never messed with DOS before? I think I may be able to create a bootable medium (stick drive or CD) but from there is there anything I need to know?

Thanks for your help.

Most patches warn you that your data might be lost, and in some rarer cases this does require a re-formatting. Most of the time the DOS utility does recognize the HDD successfully without the aide of a 'donor' MOBO, but your 'older' I assume working PC can be used as the donor i.e. flash the HDD. IMO - anytime I've flashed an SSD or HDD with new firmware I've always reformatted or if new formatted after the firmware.

Most reports in 'most' circumstances the data will not be harmed, but you'll never get me to say much less guarantee that it won't. Since this is typically a new install issue formatting isn't a concern. BACK-UP your data. :)