PATH

Would someone please direct me to a place where the boot sequence is described
in detail or alternately give me your best advise as to why my path is being
repeated (it shows path=c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d). Thanks.
31 answers Last reply
More about path

    Guide to Boot Sequence
    http://www.pcguru.plus.com/winguide/booting.html

    PATH environment variable
    The system finds the commands you type by searching in each of the
    directories listed in the PATH environment variable (unless you specify the
    entire absolute pathname of the command yourself).

    Path
    The complete location of where a computer, file, web, or other object is
    located.

    Where do you see c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d ??
    From the set or path commands?

    You should see something like...

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

    What problem(s) are you having?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DM2me.646$HN1.594@fe02.lga,
    Nobody Special <dummy_addr@charter.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Would someone please direct me to a place where the boot sequence is
    > described in detail or alternately give me your best advise as to why my
    > path is being repeated (it shows path=c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d).
    > Thanks.

    Thanks Wesley

    Guide to Boot Sequence
    http://www.pcguru.plus.com/winguide/booting.html

    PATH environment variable
    The system finds the commands you type by searching in each of the
    directories listed in the PATH environment variable (unless you specify the
    entire absolute pathname of the command yourself).

    Path
    The complete location of where a computer, file, web, or other object is
    located.
    - - - - - -
    Where do you see c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d ??
    From the set or path commands?

    Either shows the same, but of course set shows all the other variables. Here's
    what it actually shows:

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\Python22;C:\Program
    files\PC-Doctor for Windows
    XP\WINDSAPI;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\Python22;C:\Program
    files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;C:\utils;C:\batch

    The last two (C:\utils & C:\batch) are being set by my autoexec.bat which is

    @echo off
    set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    set PATH=%OLDPATH%;C:\utils;C:\batch
    set OLDPATH=

    - - - - - -
    You should see something like...

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

    What problem(s) are you having?

    Well, the problem is just the repeated path. Not that it's necessarily messing
    anything up, it's just that it's not right that it's repeated like that for no
    reason. I could just let it be and ignore it, but I'd like to fix it if
    possible.

    Thanks again, Wes
    - - - - - -
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DM2me.646$HN1.594@fe02.lga,
    Nobody Special <dummy_addr@charter.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Would someone please direct me to a place where the boot sequence is
    > described in detail or alternately give me your best advise as to why my
    > path is being repeated (it shows path=c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d).
    > Thanks.

    For what? What is/was the problem?

    Incorrect PATH environment variable?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ru3me.930$dN6.333@fe03.lga,
    Nobody Special <dummy_addr@charter.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks Wesley

    > Guide to Boot Sequence
    > http://www.pcguru.plus.com/winguide/booting.html
    >
    > PATH environment variable
    > The system finds the commands you type by searching in each of the
    > directories listed in the PATH environment variable (unless you specify
    > the entire absolute pathname of the command yourself).
    >
    > Path
    > The complete location of where a computer, file, web, or other object is
    > located.
    > - - - - - -
    > Where do you see c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d ??
    > From the set or path commands?
    >
    > Either shows the same, but of course set shows all the other variables.
    > Here's what it actually shows:

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\Python22;C:\
    Program
    > files\PC-Doctor for Windows

    XP\WINDSAPI;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\Pytho
    n22;C:\Program
    > files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;C:\utils;C:\batch
    >
    > The last two (C:\utils & C:\batch) are being set by my autoexec.bat which
    > is
    >
    > @echo off
    > set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    > set PATH=%OLDPATH%;C:\utils;C:\batch
    > set OLDPATH=
    >
    > - - - - - -
    > You should see something like...
    >
    > PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
    >
    > What problem(s) are you having?
    >
    > Well, the problem is just the repeated path. Not that it's necessarily
    > messing anything up, it's just that it's not right that it's repeated
    > like that for no reason. I could just let it be and ignore it, but I'd
    > like to fix it if possible.
    >
    > Thanks again, Wes
    > - - - - - -
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:DM2me.646$HN1.594@fe02.lga,
    > Nobody Special <dummy_addr@charter.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> Would someone please direct me to a place where the boot sequence is
    >> described in detail or alternately give me your best advise as to why my
    >> path is being repeated (it shows path=c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d).
    >> Thanks.

    The incorrectness is that it's repeated,
    for no reason,
    that's all.
    I'd like to correct that.

    PATH=
    C:\WINDOWS\system32;
    C:\WINDOWS;
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
    c:\Python22;
    C:\Program files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;
    C:\WINDOWS\system32;
    C:\WINDOWS;
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
    c:\Python22;
    C:\Program files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;
    C:\utils;C:\batch

    Have you seen this before?
    If so, what caused it?
    Thanks again for your help.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    For what? What is/was the problem?

    Incorrect PATH environment variable?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ru3me.930$dN6.333@fe03.lga,
    Nobody Special <dummy_addr@charter.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks Wesley

    > Guide to Boot Sequence
    > http://www.pcguru.plus.com/winguide/booting.html
    >
    > PATH environment variable
    > The system finds the commands you type by searching in each of the
    > directories listed in the PATH environment variable (unless you specify
    > the entire absolute pathname of the command yourself).
    >
    > Path
    > The complete location of where a computer, file, web, or other object is
    > located.
    > - - - - - -
    > Where do you see c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d ??
    > From the set or path commands?
    >
    > Either shows the same, but of course set shows all the other variables.
    > Here's what it actually shows:

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\Python22;C:\
    Program
    > files\PC-Doctor for Windows

    XP\WINDSAPI;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\Pytho
    n22;C:\Program
    > files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;C:\utils;C:\batch
    >
    > The last two (C:\utils & C:\batch) are being set by my autoexec.bat which
    > is
    >
    > @echo off
    > set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    > set PATH=%OLDPATH%;C:\utils;C:\batch
    > set OLDPATH=
    >
    > - - - - - -
    > You should see something like...
    >
    > PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
    >
    > What problem(s) are you having?
    >
    > Well, the problem is just the repeated path. Not that it's necessarily
    > messing anything up, it's just that it's not right that it's repeated
    > like that for no reason. I could just let it be and ignore it, but I'd
    > like to fix it if possible.
    >
    > Thanks again, Wes
    > - - - - - -
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:DM2me.646$HN1.594@fe02.lga,
    > Nobody Special <dummy_addr@charter.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> Would someone please direct me to a place where the boot sequence is
    >> described in detail or alternately give me your best advise as to why my
    >> path is being repeated (it shows path=c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d).
    >> Thanks.

    Yes, no problem to delete the duplicates. Possibly a repair installation.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | The incorrectness is that it's repeated,
    | for no reason,
    | that's all.
    | I'd like to correct that.
    |
    | PATH=
    | C:\WINDOWS\system32;
    | C:\WINDOWS;
    | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
    | c:\Python22;
    | C:\Program files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;
    | C:\WINDOWS\system32;
    | C:\WINDOWS;
    | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
    | c:\Python22;
    | C:\Program files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;
    | C:\utils;C:\batch
    |
    | Have you seen this before?
    | If so, what caused it?
    | Thanks again for your help.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the response. I figured there wouldn't be a problem removing the
    duplicates. My problem is that I don't know what to delete them from. What
    file?
    - - -

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | The incorrectness is that it's repeated,
    | for no reason,
    | that's all.
    | I'd like to correct that.
    |
    | PATH=
    | C:\WINDOWS\system32;
    | C:\WINDOWS;
    | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
    | c:\Python22;
    | C:\Program files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;
    | C:\WINDOWS\system32;
    | C:\WINDOWS;
    | C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;
    | c:\Python22;
    | C:\Program files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;
    | C:\utils;C:\batch
    |
    | Have you seen this before?
    | If so, what caused it?
    | Thanks again for your help.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    It is stored in the registry. Control Panel|System|Advanced|Environment
    Variables|System Variables|Path|Edit

    If you want some help with this you can copy the string from "Variable
    value:" and paste in a reply.

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Hi Dave,
    | Thanks for the response. I figured there wouldn't be a problem removing
    the
    | duplicates. My problem is that I don't know what to delete them from. What
    | file?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Well, that's what's weird. It's shows up there only once rather than two
    identical strings concatenated as it shows with the path or set commands. Have
    any idea what could be doing that?

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Hi Dave,
    | Thanks for the response. I figured there wouldn't be a problem removing
    the
    | duplicates. My problem is that I don't know what to delete them from. What
    | file?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Look for a "path" variable in "User variables" Check the contents of
    Autoexec.nt found in;
    \windows\system32
    directory.

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Well, that's what's weird. It's shows up there only once rather than two
    | identical strings concatenated as it shows with the path or set commands.
    Have
    | any idea what could be doing that?
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    No path variable in "User variables" and nothing out of the ordinary in
    Autoexec.nt
    Did you notice from my previous response to Wes Vogel showing the contents of
    my autoexec.bat?
    @echo off
    set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    set PATH=%OLDPATH%;C:\utils;C:\batch
    set OLDPATH=
    Would the system assume that the user would _not_ take care of preserving the
    initial path?
    If the autoexec.bat simply contained only set PATH=C:\utils;C:\batch, would the
    system add
    that to the existing path, or would it replace the existing path?
    - - -

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Well, that's what's weird. It's shows up there only once rather than two
    | identical strings concatenated as it shows with the path or set commands.
    Have
    | any idea what could be doing that?
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    No, I missed that. It would append not replace.

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | No path variable in "User variables" and nothing out of the ordinary in
    | Autoexec.nt
    | Did you notice from my previous response to Wes Vogel showing the contents
    of
    | my autoexec.bat?
    | @echo off
    | set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    | set PATH=%OLDPATH%;C:\utils;C:\batch
    | set OLDPATH=
    | Would the system assume that the user would _not_ take care of preserving
    the
    | initial path?
    | If the autoexec.bat simply contained only set PATH=C:\utils;C:\batch,
    would the
    | system add
    | that to the existing path, or would it replace the existing path?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    That what I thought, but apparently not the case here. After clearing out
    autoexec.bat and adding those two directories to the path via the Control
    Panel, everything is normal now. No more repeated string in the path variable.
    In other batch files where I've wanted to temporarily add a directory to the
    path, that method works just fine. I don't get it. Anyway, there's a mystery
    for you to ponder in your spare time. Heheh. Thanks again for your help.

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | No path variable in "User variables" and nothing out of the ordinary in
    | Autoexec.nt
    | Did you notice from my previous response to Wes Vogel showing the contents
    of
    | my autoexec.bat?
    | @echo off
    | set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    | set PATH=%OLDPATH%;C:\utils;C:\batch
    | set OLDPATH=
    | Would the system assume that the user would _not_ take care of preserving
    the
    | initial path?
    | If the autoexec.bat simply contained only set PATH=C:\utils;C:\batch,
    would the
    | system add
    | that to the existing path, or would it replace the existing path?
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    PS: I'd sure appreciate it if you would let me know if you ever determine why
    the processing of autoexec.bat behaves in that odd manner when launching cmd.
    There's got to be something a tad out of the ordinary there. My email address
    is rps[at]rpseeley.com

    | my autoexec.bat?
    | @echo off
    | set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    | set PATH=%OLDPATH%;C:\utils;C:\batch
    | set OLDPATH=
    | Would the system assume that the user would _not_ take care of preserving
    the
    | initial path?
    | If the autoexec.bat simply contained only set PATH=C:\utils;C:\batch,
    would the
    | system add
    | that to the existing path, or would it replace the existing path?
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Not sure I'm following you. Did you try only;
    set PATH=C:\utils;C:\batch
    in autoexec.bat?

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | That what I thought, but apparently not the case here. After clearing out
    | autoexec.bat and adding those two directories to the path via the Control
    | Panel, everything is normal now. No more repeated string in the path
    variable.
    | In other batch files where I've wanted to temporarily add a directory to
    the
    | path, that method works just fine. I don't get it. Anyway, there's a
    mystery
    | for you to ponder in your spare time. Heheh. Thanks again for your help.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    No. I suppose maybe I should have tried that first just to see what it would
    do, but I went ahead and deleted those lines out of autoexec and added the two
    directories to my path by way of Control Panel.

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | That what I thought, but apparently not the case here. After clearing out
    | autoexec.bat and adding those two directories to the path via the Control
    | Panel, everything is normal now. No more repeated string in the path
    variable.
    | In other batch files where I've wanted to temporarily add a directory to
    the
    | path, that method works just fine. I don't get it. Anyway, there's a
    mystery
    | for you to ponder in your spare time. Heheh. Thanks again for your help.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Then I don't understand what you meant by "apparently not the case here"

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | No. I suppose maybe I should have tried that first just to see what it
    would
    | do, but I went ahead and deleted those lines out of autoexec and added the
    two
    | directories to my path by way of Control Panel.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Because having those lines in the autoexec.bat, even though they are designed
    to merely append the path variable, what happened was different than what would
    normally be expected in that something associated with the execution of
    autoexec.bat caused appending the entire path string to itself before appending
    the two new directories to the string. That's what I meant by "apparently not
    the case here".

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | No. I suppose maybe I should have tried that first just to see what it
    would
    | do, but I went ahead and deleted those lines out of autoexec and added the
    two
    | directories to my path by way of Control Panel.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    But you didn't try;
    set PATH=C:\utils;C:\batch
    in autoexec.bat

    These lines are what caused it.

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Because having those lines in the autoexec.bat, even though they are
    designed
    | to merely append the path variable, what happened was different than what
    would
    | normally be expected in that something associated with the execution of
    | autoexec.bat caused appending the entire path string to itself before
    appending
    | the two new directories to the string. That's what I meant by "apparently
    not
    | the case here".
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Ok. Here's what I just did:
    I edited autoexec.bat to read

    @echo off
    set PATH=F:\TEMP3

    then rebooted and ran path.
    Here's what came up:

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\utils;c:\batch;c:\Python22;C:\Program
    files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;F:\TEMP3

    Do you see it now?
    Autoexec.bat didn't REPLACE the path variable,
    it appended it.

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Because having those lines in the autoexec.bat, even though they are
    designed
    | to merely append the path variable, what happened was different than what
    would
    | normally be expected in that something associated with the execution of
    | autoexec.bat caused appending the entire path string to itself before
    appending
    | the two new directories to the string. That's what I meant by "apparently
    not
    | the case here".
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Correct. Append is the expected behavior.

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Ok. Here's what I just did:
    | I edited autoexec.bat to read
    |
    | @echo off
    | set PATH=F:\TEMP3
    |
    | then rebooted and ran path.
    | Here's what came up:

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\utils;c:\batch;c:\Python22;C:\Program
    | files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;F:\TEMP3
    |
    | Do you see it now?
    | Autoexec.bat didn't REPLACE the path variable,
    | it appended it.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Didn't you just tell me that
    set PATH=
    would normally result in _replacing_ the path string?
    Now you're telling me that append is the expected behavior.
    Do you see why I'm confused here?
    It seems autoexec.bat is a special case
    where the normal rules of set VAR= do not apply.

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Ok. Here's what I just did:
    | I edited autoexec.bat to read
    |
    | @echo off
    | set PATH=F:\TEMP3
    |
    | then rebooted and ran path.
    | Here's what came up:

    PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\utils;c:\batch;c:\Python22;C:\Program
    | files\PC-Doctor for Windows XP\WINDSAPI;F:\TEMP3
    |
    | Do you see it now?
    | Autoexec.bat didn't REPLACE the path variable,
    | it appended it.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Negative, I did not. Check back up in the thread to confirm.

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Didn't you just tell me that
    | set PATH=
    | would normally result in _replacing_ the path string?
    | Now you're telling me that append is the expected behavior.

    | Do you see why I'm confused here?
    | It seems autoexec.bat is a special case
    | where the normal rules of set VAR= do not apply.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Ok. Sorry about that. My mistake. All these years I've been operating under an
    erroneous idea of how set works. I really appreciate you setting me straight on
    that. Now I've got to go and correct all those batch files that I wrote to
    temporarily append a particular directory to the path. Append is the expected
    behavior. Append is the expected behavior. I think I've got it now. Thank you
    very much.

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Didn't you just tell me that
    | set PATH=
    | would normally result in _replacing_ the path string?
    | Now you're telling me that append is the expected behavior.

    | Do you see why I'm confused here?
    | It seems autoexec.bat is a special case
    | where the normal rules of set VAR= do not apply.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    No problem. You're welcome.

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Ok. Sorry about that. My mistake. All these years I've been operating
    under an
    | erroneous idea of how set works. I really appreciate you setting me
    straight on
    | that. Now I've got to go and correct all those batch files that I wrote to
    | temporarily append a particular directory to the path. Append is the
    expected
    | behavior. Append is the expected behavior. I think I've got it now. Thank
    you
    | very much.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Ohmagosh. I thought I understood, but the very first batch file that I modified
    with "append is the expected behavior" in mind, the set path= statement
    REPLACED the path variable. Arghhh! I'm going to go with what I said before,
    that the autoexec.bat is a special case.
    set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    set PATH=C:\Program Files\WinZip;%OLDPATH%
    set OLDPATH=
    works.
    set PATH=C:\Program Files\WinZip
    doesn't. It drops all of the old path string leaving only the new path.
    Maybe
    set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\WinZip
    would work also. I'll give it a shot.

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    No problem. You're welcome.

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Ok. Sorry about that. My mistake. All these years I've been operating
    under an
    | erroneous idea of how set works. I really appreciate you setting me
    straight on
    | that. Now I've got to go and correct all those batch files that I wrote to
    | temporarily append a particular directory to the path. Append is the
    expected
    | behavior. Append is the expected behavior. I think I've got it now. Thank
    you
    | very much.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Yes, autoexec.bat is a special case in that it is read at boot and *appends*
    the system path statement. When you use set PATH= in a batch file it
    temporarily *replaces*

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Ohmagosh. I thought I understood, but the very first batch file that I
    modified
    | with "append is the expected behavior" in mind, the set path= statement
    | REPLACED the path variable. Arghhh! I'm going to go with what I said
    before,
    | that the autoexec.bat is a special case.
    | set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    | set PATH=C:\Program Files\WinZip;%OLDPATH%
    | set OLDPATH=
    | works.
    | set PATH=C:\Program Files\WinZip
    | doesn't. It drops all of the old path string leaving only the new path.
    | Maybe
    | set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\WinZip
    | would work also. I'll give it a shot.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    the 'temporarily' part of that statement is wrong. After I had run that
    modified batch file I ran 'path' at the command prompt and it came up with only
    what that modified batch file had replaced the path string with. Now, if by
    'temporarily' you mean that the original path will be restored after returning
    to Windows, that's correct, but as long as one is still in command line mode,
    that original path is not a part of the active path environment variable. It
    remains what the last set statement made it until a new instance of cmd is run.
    btw: I tried
    set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\Winzip
    and that works fine. The OLDPATH variable steps aren't necessary.
    - - -

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | Ohmagosh. I thought I understood, but the very first batch file that I
    modified
    | with "append is the expected behavior" in mind, the set path= statement
    | REPLACED the path variable. Arghhh! I'm going to go with what I said
    before,
    | that the autoexec.bat is a special case.
    | set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    | set PATH=C:\Program Files\WinZip;%OLDPATH%
    | set OLDPATH=
    | works.
    | set PATH=C:\Program Files\WinZip
    | doesn't. It drops all of the old path string leaving only the new path.
    | Maybe
    | set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\WinZip
    | would work also. I'll give it a shot.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Yes, by temporary I meant for the life of that cmd.exe session.

    --

    "Nobody Special" wrote:
    | the 'temporarily' part of that statement is wrong. After I had run that
    | modified batch file I ran 'path' at the command prompt and it came up with
    only
    | what that modified batch file had replaced the path string with. Now, if
    by
    | 'temporarily' you mean that the original path will be restored after
    returning
    | to Windows, that's correct, but as long as one is still in command line
    mode,
    | that original path is not a part of the active path environment variable.
    It
    | remains what the last set statement made it until a new instance of cmd is
    run.
    | btw: I tried
    | set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\Winzip
    | and that works fine. The OLDPATH variable steps aren't necessary.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    The only lines in Autoexec.bat that Windows XP will read are the lines that
    begin with SET or PATH. If ParseAutoexec is set to 1.

    When this value is enabled the variables listed in the Autoexec.bat file
    will be parsed and included in the current user environment.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Value Name: ParseAutoexec
    Data Type: REG_SZ
    Data: 0 or 1
    0 : Ignores Autoexec.bat at logon.
    1 : Parses Autoexec.bat at logon.

    This has no effect on the parsing of AUTOEXEC.NT or CONFIG.NT by the MS-DOS
    or 16-bit Windows environments (VDMs).

    Also see this...
    How do I check for duplicate path entries?
    http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4700/rh4770.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Qs8me.1203$dN6.45@fe03.lga,
    Nobody Special <dummy_addr@charter.net> hunted and pecked:
    > PS: I'd sure appreciate it if you would let me know if you ever determine
    > why the processing of autoexec.bat behaves in that odd manner when
    > launching cmd. There's got to be something a tad out of the ordinary
    > there. My email address is rps[at]rpseeley.com
    >
    >> my autoexec.bat?
    >> @echo off
    >> set OLDPATH=%PATH%
    >> set PATH=%OLDPATH%;C:\utils;C:\batch
    >> set OLDPATH=
    >> Would the system assume that the user would _not_ take care of
    >> preserving the initial path?
    >> If the autoexec.bat simply contained only set PATH=C:\utils;C:\batch,
    >> would the system add
    >> that to the existing path, or would it replace the existing path?
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Yes, this was helpful. Thanks very much.
    - - - - - -

    Data: 0 or 1
    0 : Ignores Autoexec.bat at logon.
    1 : Parses Autoexec.bat at logon.

    This has no effect on the parsing of AUTOEXEC.NT or CONFIG.NT by the MS-DOS
    or 16-bit Windows environments (VDMs).

    Also see this...
    How do I check for duplicate path entries?
    http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4700/rh4770.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Do you have the same PATHs defined in both the "system variable named PATH"
    and "user variable named PATH"? If so, then that's how you are getting
    duplicates, as Windows Appends the two together. The system variable named
    PATH applies to all users, of course user variable named PATH only applies
    to that user when this profile is logged in.

    <Right Click> My Computer
    <Click> Properties <Menu Item>
    <Click> Advanced <Tab>
    <Click> Environment Variables <Button>
    Verify both User Variables for "<profile name>" and System Variables for the
    values stored in the variable named "PATH".

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "Nobody Special" <dummy_addr@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Would someone please direct me to a place where the boot sequence is
    > described
    > in detail or alternately give me your best advise as to why my path is
    > being
    > repeated (it shows path=c:\a;c:\b;c:\d;c:\a;c:\b;c:\d). Thanks.

Configuration Boot Microsoft Windows XP