Does the new GF104 mean a GTX 475 soon?

The GTX 460 review here is finally up on the front page now, and as i was reading though it i noticed they said that the GTX 460 was only 7/8th of a GF104 core. Will this mean we could have a GTX 475 in the future if the use a full one?

I also noticed that they managed to drop the TDP quite a bit from the GF100 core of similar performance, so that means if there is a GTX 475, if they underclock it a bit they should be able to slap two together, call it a GTX 495 and still stay below the 300W TDP threshold. What do you guys think?

Also, has anyone else try to figure out what the nVidia marking department was thinking by having the GTX 465 be on the GF100 and the GTX 460 be on the GF104. I feel like it would have made more sense to have the GTX 460, 470, and 480 all be on the GF100, and have the current GTX 460 named the GTX 465 so that cards based off the modified core would be easily identifiable, but i guess nVidia is just out to confuse the hell out of me.

You may remember that the G92 based 8800GTS 512MB was way above the performance of the 8800GTS 320 and 640 models, but just shy of the 8800GTX cards. Who knows with nVidia's naming schemes now adays what a full G104 core based card would be called.

Good point, and there was also the GTX 260 with 192 and 216 cores. I wait for the day when they move onto a rational naming scheme, you know, the higher the number the better the performance. At least you can break down the ATI scheme so it makes sense.

I would think the 465 was about using up available binned cores. This is something to think about with your sugestion of a 475 as well. there is the possability that they are binning (that is to say stock piling not throwing away) the full chips just now and waiting untill they have enough of a stock for a production run. Its something that has been done before so i dont see why not again. Semiaccurate and BSN seem to get yield info so it may pay to look at those sites if you really want to try and work it out.
Mactronix

It's doubtful that adding 1/8 more SPUs will bring it up to the GTX470's levels without boosting frequencies even higher. You'd need both the activate SPUs and a frequency boost, and even then just a frequency boost on the existing GTX470 core would yield better results and be a more worthy GTX475 to go along with the potential GTX485.

spotless

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
we dont need more card, just cut price off the current, making new cards are not green :non: , beside current 470& 480 are not the real fermi stuff