Should I get the Sandy Bridge? Does it support 1366

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Ok now that Im close to buying my i7 950 rig I read about the i7 2600 and I feel like my head is gonna pop!

I cant decide what to buy, the i7 950 or wait a bit longer for the i7 2600.

price dont think is an issue provided its not $200+ more expensive, problem is I already bought a Gigabyte X58-USB3 and a Corsair XMS3 6GB ram kit.

and I cant foget the fact that my x58 board uses a 1366 socket while the sandy bridges uses a 1155 socket so will it be backward compatible. I really really need help

Solution
If you wait for the next thing you will NEVER have anything.

If you have the money now, get your system now because even with SB coming out it's going to be a VERY long time before X58-based systems are underpowered.

If you want to wait a few more months to see comparative benchmarks then it's your choice, but bear in mind then that the socket 2011 top-end Sandy Bridge stuff is due only a few months after that.

Also, AMD Bulldozer is due around this time as well, and that's supposed to be excellent as well.

See what I mean about waiting?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
If you wait for the next thing you will NEVER have anything.

If you have the money now, get your system now because even with SB coming out it's going to be a VERY long time before X58-based systems are underpowered.

If you want to wait a few more months to see comparative benchmarks then it's your choice, but bear in mind then that the socket 2011 top-end Sandy Bridge stuff is due only a few months after that.

Also, AMD Bulldozer is due around this time as well, and that's supposed to be excellent as well.

See what I mean about waiting?

Solution

kyleguy298

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

See your point in the never getting anything with waiting so I will just buy the 950

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
You won't regret getting the 950 - great chip, great platform, overclocks like stink.

Invest in a decent CPU cooler too so you can give the 950 a good overclock to really stretch its wings - pretty much every i7 will hit 4GHz easily.