Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon HD 3800's Crossfire Confusion!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2010 5:42:32 AM

I have a dell X630i with two ATI Radeon HD 3800's installed. Just updated CCC to newest version and I noticed that there was no crossfire tab. Checked the device manager and both cards read fine. CCC says that my secondary adapter is Disabled. I've tried updating my bios, completely uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers and CCC. Popped open the box and made sure all the cables/cards were secure, nothing obstructing the fans etc.... No luck.

Intel Core2 Quad 2.40GHz
4GB ram
Windows 7 64 bit

I can't for the life of me figure out whats going on here any help would be great!

Josh
July 12, 2010 7:04:16 AM

Did you connect them with a CrossFire bridge?
July 12, 2010 7:33:51 AM

Yeah, they are hooked up correctly, bridge and all. I think through further digging I found the problem. Dell used an SLI motherboard with some sort of chip on it allowing use of crossfire. The problem being that I have to use the dell driver, which hasn't been updated in 2 years. So either I can use up to date drivers and only have use of one card, or I can use the old drivers and get crossfire.
Related resources
July 13, 2010 4:57:41 AM

COLGeek said:
This link is Dell's site for Win7 drivers for your system:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.a...

You may be able to use one of the Dell/AMD drivers for your config. Good luck!

No such luck, downloaded the drivers I found there and got no difference.
July 13, 2010 1:50:29 PM

Have you tried to completely uninstall CCC (and then scrubbing the registry with an app like CCleaner), rebooting, and installing the original drivers (the ones that CF worked with?)? If so, what were the results?

I looked through the Dell Support site for your system and I can find nothing that indicates this model clearly supports CF. The mobo uses a Nvidia chipset that supports SLI, but I see no mention of CF. I do recall (been a long while) that some vendors tweaked their own drivers to enable CF on SLI boards and that may be the case with your system. There is no "chip" on the mobo to enable CF that I can see in any of the documentation I scanned.

Looking through the Dell Support forums also indicates that this is a fairly widespread issue and seems to confirm the "custom drivers" argument especially with 64-bit configs. You may have to dig through the Dell forums to find a solution that will work in your case. As these are "older", yet very capable, platforms you may just be left hanging by Dell on this one (I have my own issue with Dell and my Precision M65 notebook's video drivers).

Good luck!!! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
July 13, 2010 2:13:45 PM

Yeah, the "chip" thing was something in one of the dozens of forum posts I read, dunno if its there or just a tweaked driver. I have tried uninstalling all the ATI drivers/CCC and using a driver and registry scrubber, then going back in and reinstalling, no go. I am stuck where im at though because I can no longer use the drivers that came with due to the fact that im using x64 now :(  Oh well, I know whos never getting anymore of my money.
July 13, 2010 2:34:09 PM

I can't get Vista drivers to even load :)  x32/x64 doesn't seem to matter, the installer always hangs. Anything windows 7 /64 installs quick and clean. *shrug*
July 13, 2010 2:35:48 PM

Try installing the drivers version only and not CCC to see if that does the trick.
!