What happens if an SSD gets defragged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xGAM3Rxx

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
I bought a brand new pc a about 5-6 months ago and had no idea that defragging isn't needed for an ssd, I heard it could even damage it... Up until today I found this out. Today I noticed the defrag schedule was set to ON by default, If I would've known that defragging damages an ssd I would've disabled it the first day i got my pc. I learned my lesson now, but I want to know; what kind of damage does defragging an ssd do, if any at all? one thing I do know is that it reduces the lifespan. Did I do serious damage to my ssd? Will I see a decrease in performance? Please help me out lol

I have an ocz vertex 4 128gb

SnakeSlime

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I'm not sure what OS is running but I'm guessing it is Windows 7 or 8.

I run Windows Server 2008 R2 (equivalent to Windows 7) and when I installed my SSD I looked on the Defrag Schedule and looked at the included disks. The SSD was not included.

I could be wrong but I think Windows 7 recognises SSD's and removes them from the Schedule by default.

An SSD has a limited number of write/delete cycles before its performance starts to degrade, and defragging does exactly that. Deletes the data present and re-writes new data over it.
You should be fine unless its been defragging constantly. Modern SSD's have plenty of redundancies built in to minimize the damage of write/delete cycles and to keep performance running smoothly, as well as just being able to withstand many cycles. Under normal usage, an SSD will work fine long past its obsolescence.

xGAM3Rxx

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
I also had another question, is using the program 'CCleaner' safe? Because I use it almost every other day for the main clean cycle (clear my recycle bin and internet cache and such.) I ignore the registry cleanup section though.

Status
Not open for further replies.