Sign in with
Your question

What happens if an SSD gets defragged?

Last response: in Storage
November 17, 2012 5:47:22 AM

I bought a brand new pc a about 5-6 months ago and had no idea that defragging isn't needed for an ssd, I heard it could even damage it... Up until today I found this out. Today I noticed the defrag schedule was set to ON by default, If I would've known that defragging damages an ssd I would've disabled it the first day i got my pc. I learned my lesson now, but I want to know; what kind of damage does defragging an ssd do, if any at all? one thing I do know is that it reduces the lifespan. Did I do serious damage to my ssd? Will I see a decrease in performance? Please help me out lol

I have an ocz vertex 4 128gb

More about : ssd defragged

November 17, 2012 10:05:14 AM

I'm not sure what OS is running but I'm guessing it is Windows 7 or 8.

I run Windows Server 2008 R2 (equivalent to Windows 7) and when I installed my SSD I looked on the Defrag Schedule and looked at the included disks. The SSD was not included.

I could be wrong but I think Windows 7 recognises SSD's and removes them from the Schedule by default.
m
l
a c 105 G Storage
November 17, 2012 10:35:00 AM

An SSD has a limited number of write/delete cycles before its performance starts to degrade, and defragging does exactly that. Deletes the data present and re-writes new data over it.
You should be fine unless its been defragging constantly. Modern SSD's have plenty of redundancies built in to minimize the damage of write/delete cycles and to keep performance running smoothly, as well as just being able to withstand many cycles. Under normal usage, an SSD will work fine long past its obsolescence.
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2012 4:15:35 PM

I also had another question, is using the program 'CCleaner' safe? Because I use it almost every other day for the main clean cycle (clear my recycle bin and internet cache and such.) I ignore the registry cleanup section though.
m
l
a c 105 G Storage
November 19, 2012 1:05:54 AM

No idea to be honest, though if its just cleaning out the recycle bin and internet history I cant imagine it doing any harm.
m
l
!