Sign in with
Your question

CM 690 II Advanced - Front LED Fan Issue

Last response: in Components
October 30, 2010 5:17:47 PM

Hello all, :) 

Wanted to ask a question concerning a problem I have...

So I got my Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced, and it's got a front 120mm fan in the front... I decided one day to put it in a different location on my case and (noobishly), I didn't take note of which wire was for the power and which goes to the LED on/off button on the case.

Since I don't have much experience with fans and stuff, I plugged the fan power cable into the LED button port and the fan LED into the power port (Note: They were not labeled). Now my button on my case is dead, it had smoke coming outta it! And it doesn't get actuated anymore. I did also notice that the wire was fairly hot when I disconnected it, maybe it got shorted out or something.

In conclusion: The LED of the fan doesn't work no more, but the fan itself runs perfectly fine...

And so my question is: Is there anything I can do to get it working again? Or to hook it up directly?

Thanks in advance! :D 
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 30, 2010 5:38:04 PM

my guess is that ship has sailed. you can get a blue LED fan to replace it (antec, xigmatek, etc.,) and move the broken-LED fan to the top of the case or side panel.
October 30, 2010 5:40:29 PM

Firstly thanks for the reply.

Its behind a mesh/dust filter at the moment, barely visible, so its fine for the moment.

But if I were to get another LED fan, how would I connect it? Do I need a fan controller or something?
Related resources
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 30, 2010 5:49:01 PM

most fan come with 3-pin (some have a 4-pin) connector that can connect to a motherboard.

they also come with an adapter that you can connect to a 4-pin molex. the adapter has both a male & female connectors so you don't actually lose the molex. you can daisy chain several fans to one 4-pin molex or use it for whatever else.

the adapter looks kind of like this but neater (both the male and female are in one connector)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 30, 2010 5:53:20 PM

I do happen to have something similar.

It has two 4-pin molex connectors, and both lead to a fan plug which is for a 3-pin fan, however the fan plug has only two pins, with one red and one black one leading out of it...
October 30, 2010 6:07:50 PM

UPDATE:

It seems the fan is working fine... Just that the button doesn't actuate and has to be pressed down hard to keep it on...

Any ideas to keep it on like this?
October 30, 2010 7:52:11 PM

UPDATE:

I managed to get the LED fan to stay on... I used some zip ties to keep it pressed down... Working well so far...

Thanks for the help though ct1615!
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 30, 2010 7:56:25 PM

gratz
August 21, 2011 5:05:25 PM

ct1615 said:
most fan come with 3-pin (some have a 4-pin) connector that can connect to a motherboard.

they also come with an adapter that you can connect to a 4-pin molex. the adapter has both a male & female connectors so you don't actually lose the molex. you can daisy chain several fans to one 4-pin molex or use it for whatever else.

the adapter looks kind of like this but neater (both the male and female are in one connector)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Aaah. So does that mean I only have to use one ( either male or female) and not both.
!