Got my mobo RMAd.. how to i put the cpu back on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
got a replacement on a socket am3 motherboard, but now my CPU is still on the heat sink and I can't lock the CPU in with the zif pin up while the CPU is attached to the heatsink.. and I don't really know how to get the CPU off the heatsink, or how I would put it back.. don't have thermal paste cause it came with its own before.. do i need to go buy some? don't want msi's faulty mobo costing me even more money!

please advise!

Solution
Thermal paste is mandatory. The heatsink and the CPU will not make perfect contact without it, and will build pockets of heat like darkerson mentioned. This will cause your CPU to run VERY hot, and most likely damage it. Thermal paste ensures that as much heat as possible is transfered to the heatsink.

It's less than $10 for a tube. Pretty much anything will work if you don't plan on overclocking, but I still like Arctic Silver. $10 now saves you buying a new CPU next year.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Just pull it off. It's just adhering due to the thermal paste. If it's really stuck on there (which it shouldn't be), just slowly go around a with a knife and pry it up bit by bit. After this, you can wash the thermal paste off of the CPU using rubbing alcohol and qtips. Be sure to apply new thermal paste when you reattach the heatsink.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Yes, you always want to apply new thermal paste when you remove a heatsink from a cpu. If you try and just put the heatsink on without any thermal paste, there could be small gaps where the heatsink doesnt quite make perfect contact and could cause little pockets of heat to form. Just be on the safe side and go get some thermal paste. Artic Silver is a really good brand, but be careful applying it, as it has silver particles in it that can be conductive and short something out if you apply too much or accidently get it on the motherboard or some other place then on top of the cpu.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Thermal paste is mandatory. The heatsink and the CPU will not make perfect contact without it, and will build pockets of heat like darkerson mentioned. This will cause your CPU to run VERY hot, and most likely damage it. Thermal paste ensures that as much heat as possible is transfered to the heatsink.

It's less than $10 for a tube. Pretty much anything will work if you don't plan on overclocking, but I still like Arctic Silver. $10 now saves you buying a new CPU next year.

Solution

cutcopypaste

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
yup better to be safe. my current thermal paste (Which was stock with the cpu has only been in there 5 months or so, but i got a tiny tube of arctic silver and will do it right!
i'm gonna have to clean off both the cpu and the heatsink w/ alcohol?

thanks so much for all the pointers. i'd be so sad and confused without you.

damn. this is not coming off at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.