Canon: a75 vs a85 vs a80

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 29, 2004 3:27:04 AM

Hi guys,

I'd be grateful if you could help me with a quick question. I'm in the
market for my first digital camera, and I'm deciding between the Canon
PowerShot a75 and a85. The price difference between them is negligible
(about £10/$20).

All other things being equal, the a85 would seem the obvious choice with its
extra MP. But I've read somewhere that in this case the other things may be
too equal: I don't really understand what i'm talking about here, but
apparently the a75 just has more pixels squeezzed onto the same sensor,
making the images more noisy and potentially worse than the a75. Is there
any truth to this?

{I do like big pictures (though 7"x5" is fine for me usually) but almost
certainly won't be making any >A4 prints or anything of that nature (though
never say never). }

Cheers,
Luke

--
==
Luke Elson

More about : canon a75 a85 a80

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 3:27:05 AM

Since 5 months I have the A80 and I'm very happy with it.
It has 4MP and a bigger sensor than the A75 and the A85
which produces less noise.

But the major advantage of the A80 is the swiveling LCD. Once you
have made a few pictures with it you won't miss it anymore.
It increases the possibilities for picture talking so much.
You can find very different perspectives (over your head or putting
the camera on your shoe for a steady shot and a very special
perspective).
During the last days I took some pictures at night using trash cans
because I had no tripod - without the swiveling LCD these would not
have been possible.

Also, the A80 has more metal parts, whereas the A75 is pure plastic.

Markus

Luke Elson wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'd be grateful if you could help me with a quick question. I'm in
the
> market for my first digital camera, and I'm deciding between the
Canon
> PowerShot a75 and a85. The price difference between them is
negligible
> (about £10/$20).
>
> All other things being equal, the a85 would seem the obvious choice
with its
> extra MP. But I've read somewhere that in this case the other things
may be
> too equal: I don't really understand what i'm talking about here, but

> apparently the a75 just has more pixels squeezzed onto the same
sensor,
> making the images more noisy and potentially worse than the a75. Is
there
> any truth to this?
>
> {I do like big pictures (though 7"x5" is fine for me usually) but
almost
> certainly won't be making any >A4 prints or anything of that nature
(though
> never say never). }
>
> Cheers,
> Luke
>
> --
> ==
> Luke Elson
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:09:12 AM

The 85 has a better image quality and is well worth the few extra bucks.

RB
December 29, 2004 11:26:11 PM

"Luke Elson" wrote
>I'm deciding between the Canon PowerShot a75 and a85. The price difference
>between them is negligible (about £10/$20).
> All other things being equal, the a85 would seem the obvious choice with
> its extra MP. But I've read somewhere that in this case the other things
> may be too equal: I don't really understand what i'm talking about here,
> but apparently the a75 just has more pixels squeezzed onto the same
> sensor, making the images more noisy and potentially worse than the a75.
> Is there any truth to this?

Your message heading is not quite consistent with the message body.

If I read your message body, A85 is better than A75 IN EVERY WAY. No need to
think here - buy the A85 if the price is close to A75.

If I read you message heading - A80 is the probably the best - assuming same
price as A85. A80's larger CCD and swivelling LCD are big pluses despite its
smaller LCD compared to A85.

Regards - JW
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:26:12 PM

The A85 is an upgrade from the A75, not the A80. I suspect the A80 will no
longer be produced, it's upgrade is the A95 which I have had for about 3
weeks and would recommend if you can afford the cost. The A95 and A80 have
the swivel screen. The A95 has a larger sensor as well as 5mp. The later
cameras have a scene mode which comes in handy. However, I upgraded from a
2mp A40 and it should be noted that that and all the later models can and do
give excellent results. If my A40 had come with 3mp I probably couldn't have
justified the switch, but then I'm a bit of a 'tight wad'.
Dave Cohen
Dave Cohen

!