Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer case may be too small

Last response: in Components
October 30, 2010 6:17:11 PM

Hello! I've been trying to upgrade my computer's power supply and Geforce 9500GT graphics card to a Geforce GTX 460 (or higher, possibly even the ATI Raedon 5870 as an alternate choice...MAYBE) graphics card Lord's will. Thing is, I've seen pictures of these types of dual slot cards, and I'm not sure if the graphics card will fit into my computer due to its length being over 10 inches (I'm referring to the GTX 460). My computer is an ACER Aspire M5100 (not fancy, but it was good for the price. I'm grateful for that). Should I get another computer case or would this be efficient enough for one of these cards to fit? My computer does have more than two PCI slots, so I'm not worried about that. Just the length. Thanks!

More about : computer case small

a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2010 9:32:09 PM

Just take some quick measurements and see how much room internally you have?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2010 9:39:40 PM

What processor is inside your PC? All I can find is a Phenom X4 9500, which is really bad. If that is the case, a newer CPU and a slightly slower GPU would give you more performance.
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2010 2:16:09 AM

Pyroflea said:
Just take some quick measurements and see how much room internally you have?

I kinda already did(I think. Lol). I looked on the internet somewhere that you can measure from the back of the PCI slot to the end of your computer, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate measurement or not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 2:22:28 AM

You'll want to measure from the PCI expansion slot (pretty much as far back as you can go in your case), and go forwards until you contact something, such as a hard drive cage. You'll want to do it around 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of your case.
m
l
a c 126 ) Power supply
a c 199 U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 2:32:29 AM

I got the MSI Cyclone GTX460, and it is not a long card. Currently, it is installed in a PC-Q08R, where the only issue with it seems to be heat (not itself, which stays under 62c, but since I installed it my CPU is hitting 68c during games).
m
l
October 31, 2010 2:47:24 AM

AMW1011 said:
What processor is inside your PC? All I can find is a Phenom X4 9500, which is really bad. If that is the case, a newer CPU and a slightly slower GPU would give you more performance.

I have an AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2300 1.90 Ghz. And yea, that would be a good idea, but I just want to play games like Fallout 3 (or New Vegas. Lol) and Oblivion without lagging every five seconds with the Geforce 9500 GT. When I bought it, I thought about the whole big numbers (9500)=big performance. I'm still sorta new to graphics cards, so you'll have to forgive me. Lol. But first things first, if I'm going to buy a card like the 460 I gotta see if it can fit into my computer before I buy it if the Lord is willing.
m
l
October 31, 2010 2:56:31 AM

Pyroflea said:
You'll want to measure from the PCI expansion slot (pretty much as far back as you can go in your case), and go forwards until you contact something, such as a hard drive cage. You'll want to do it around 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of your case.

Ok, I did that and I could go no further than 7 (8 ish)" due to the cords from the power supply being in the way. Is there a way I can move them over a bit to make more room? When/if I do get the card Lord's will I don't want it to get too close to those cords either obviously. Maybe I could buy the card and see if it fits, then take it back and ask for a refund if it doesn't fit (IF they accept refunds that is)?
m
l
a c 126 ) Power supply
a c 199 U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 2:57:19 AM

That processor will bottleneck a HD4670! It is really too weak for recent / current games.
m
l
October 31, 2010 3:06:16 AM

Onus said:
I got the MSI Cyclone GTX460, and it is not a long card. Currently, it is installed in a PC-Q08R, where the only issue with it seems to be heat (not itself, which stays under 62c, but since I installed it my CPU is hitting 68c during games).

Ahhh...I see. I'm glad to hear that, then! I don't think my computer would have TOO much of a problem with heat because all of the heat escapes from a pretty good size vent on the side of the case. BUT, if worst comes to worst, I could buy a coolmaster computer case that can support card sizes like the 460 or 480.
m
l
October 31, 2010 3:15:45 AM

Onus said:
That processor will bottleneck a HD4670! It is really too weak for recent / current games.

Which processor? The one that I own or the Phentom 9500 one that AMW1011 searched? If you're referring to mine, it wouldn't suprise me! Lol. It was good for the price though (It was only a little over $500. Thank the Lord for what it's worth.) The whole computer was pretty weak when I bought it; I'm just trying to upgrade some components for it (One thing at a time tho. Lol). That's why I asked if cards like the 460 would even fit into my computer first, then work my way down the list for the things I need.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 4:56:20 AM

Squall17 said:
Ok, I did that and I could go no further than 7 (8 ish)" due to the cords from the power supply being in the way. Is there a way I can move them over a bit to make more room? When/if I do get the card Lord's will I don't want it to get too close to those cords either obviously. Maybe I could buy the card and see if it fits, then take it back and ask for a refund if it doesn't fit (IF they accept refunds that is)?

Could you move the power supply cables? You will nee atleast 8" of clearance for any decent GPU (a 9500 GT is about 6.5" long, do you need another 1.5" past that). Could you post a picture of the inside of your actual computer.

Also, stepping down to a 5770 and getting a good CPU will get you excellent performance. Here is a great one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I actually can't believe the price on that! Note that you will need a heatsink. You should measure how much space you have from your motherboard to your side panel.
m
l
a c 126 ) Power supply
a c 199 U Graphics card
October 31, 2010 11:52:11 AM

^The CPU you own...
A HD5770 is also not too long, and uses less power under load. Does your PC have the stock PSU in it, what the page at http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/Asp... describes only as "Industry Standard 250W" ? If so, the strongest card you can even think about is a HD5760, and even that may be pushing it if the PSU was made by Bestec. Even a HD5570 however would be a huge improvement over your 9500GT, especially a GDDR5 version.
Of course, replacing the PSU is always an option. To power a GTX460, I would recommend a 500W Antec Earthwatts for three reasons. First, it exceeds the minimum recommended for the card by a comfortable but not excessive margin. Second, it has the necessary TWO PCIE Express power connectors needed by that card (you can use adapters, but I've never been comfortable with doing that). Third, it is an efficient, high quality unit.
m
l
November 1, 2010 3:21:51 AM

[/quote]
AMW1011 said:
Could you move the power supply cables? You will nee atleast 8" of clearance for any decent GPU (a 9500 GT is about 6.5" long, do you need another 1.5" past that). Could you post a picture of the inside of your actual computer.

Also, stepping down to a 5770 and getting a good CPU will get you excellent performance. Here is a great one:

I actually can't believe the price on that! Note that you will need a heatsink. You should measure how much space you have from your motherboard to your side panel.

Here's a few pics of inside my computer (I just created a random Photoshop account, so if this don't work, I'll send them to you through an email address or something): http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/6a0b282ccddb490183fa8... and the second: http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/6a0b282ccddb490183fa8... if you can see them, the first photo shows my graphics card and my basic setup, and the second photo shows exactly how much room I have(please forgive the dust, btw Lol). I CAN move the cords back some, but not alot. I'm afraid of putting a card like the 460 too close to those cords. I went on the Nvidia website and it said the GTX 460 itself was over 10" long. And yes, that is a good CPU. Matter of fact, ANYTHING is better than any part of my computer that I have now! Heatsinks are hard to find, too. I tried newegg just now and they were sold out, unless they have some other specific types that I didn't see. And I did measure it, but it didn't look like alot(unless I measured it wrong).
m
l
November 1, 2010 3:35:26 AM

Onus said:
^The CPU you own...
A HD5770 is also not too long, and uses less power under load. Does your PC have the stock PSU in it, what the page at http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/Asp... describes only as "Industry Standard 250W" ? If so, the strongest card you can even think about is a HD5760, and even that may be pushing it if the PSU was made by Bestec. Even a HD5570 however would be a huge improvement over your 9500GT, especially a GDDR5 version.
Of course, replacing the PSU is always an option. To power a GTX460, I would recommend a 500W Antec Earthwatts for three reasons. First, it exceeds the minimum recommended for the card by a comfortable but not excessive margin. Second, it has the necessary TWO PCIE Express power connectors needed by that card (you can use adapters, but I've never been comfortable with doing that). Third, it is an efficient, high quality unit.

It has the stock version; 250W, though I have no clue who the manufacturer is. I know that even without the GTX 460 I'd have to upgrade my power supply to at least 500-600W. I rather just pay for another power supply in that case, then. True, anything is better than my 9500, but I'd like to have the closest to the best possible graphics card I can find that doesn't cost over $250-300(lower than this, if possible), but good enough to play games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, and even Final Fantasy XIV(all three which are on my list btw if the Lord is willing. Lol.) Whichever would be the best option for me, that I will take if the Lord is willing. Even if it mean replacing everything in the computer (which seems like I might have to anyway, unfortunately).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 4:26:30 AM

Squall17 said:

Here's a few pics of inside my computer (I just created a random Photoshop account, so if this don't work, I'll send them to you through an email address or something): http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/6a0b282ccddb490183fa8... and the second: http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/6a0b282ccddb490183fa8... if you can see them, the first photo shows my graphics card and my basic setup, and the second photo shows exactly how much room I have(please forgive the dust, btw Lol). I CAN move the cords back some, but not alot. I'm afraid of putting a card like the 460 too close to those cords. I went on the Nvidia website and it said the GTX 460 itself was over 10" long. And yes, that is a good CPU. Matter of fact, ANYTHING is better than any part of my computer that I have now! Heatsinks are hard to find, too. I tried newegg just now and they were sold out, unless they have some other specific types that I didn't see. And I did measure it, but it didn't look like alot(unless I measured it wrong).
[/quote]

First of all, a GTX 460 is about 8.5" long, and a 5770 is about 8.2" long. Do you think you can fit either of those?

there are lots of good aftermarket coolers, you just need to tell us how tall a cooler can be inside that case.
m
l
November 1, 2010 10:59:30 PM

AMW1011 said:
First of all, a GTX 460 is about 8.5" long, and a 5770 is about 8.2" long. Do you think you can fit either of those?

there are lots of good aftermarket coolers, you just need to tell us how tall a cooler can be inside that case.

Really? Then what did the 10" that I saw come from??? Either way, by the looks of it, the GTX 460 may be pushing it size-wise. I can only squeeze a little over 8" anyway without it getting in the way of the power supply cords. I suppose the 5770 would be a better choice size-wise. But would that card be able to play up-to-date games like New Vegas for example? I haven't checked on it fully, though at first glance I can see that it's alot cheaper than the 460. And the case itself is 14x16 (I think. As you can see, I'm not good with measuring things. Lol).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2010 11:30:23 PM

Squall17 said:
Really? Then what did the 10" that I saw come from??? Either way, by the looks of it, the GTX 460 may be pushing it size-wise. I can only squeeze a little over 8" anyway without it getting in the way of the power supply cords. I suppose the 5770 would be a better choice size-wise. But would that card be able to play up-to-date games like New Vegas for example? I haven't checked on it fully, though at first glance I can see that it's alot cheaper than the 460. And the case itself is 14x16 (I think. As you can see, I'm not good with measuring things. Lol).

Well, the 5770 should do quite well, but neither is going to play that game or any game well at all with your current CPU. Can you give me your exact budget? Then we can see what we can do to maximize performance.
m
l
November 2, 2010 2:45:41 AM

AMW1011 said:
Well, the 5770 should do quite well, but neither is going to play that game or any game well at all with your current CPU. Can you give me your exact budget? Then we can see what we can do to maximize performance.

You're right...hmm...anywhere between $300-$500.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2010 4:49:39 AM
a c 126 ) Power supply
a c 199 U Graphics card
November 2, 2010 9:07:33 AM

Will his existing mobo take a 940, or is it limited to 85W CPUs?
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:00:53 PM

AMW1011 said:
Well then I recommend:

A new Case:

GPU:

Power Supply:

Processor:

Cooler:

You could also add a new motherboard in if your willing to pay the extra, that way you can overclock your CPU.

WHOA!!! :D  Niiiiiccceeee! Even though it ALMOST maxes out the budget (I got $453.00 total for all that you mentioned; this includes S@H), all that is just what I needed! Thank you so, so much for your time and help! I believe all of my questions are answered! Again, thanks!
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:01:53 PM

Onus said:
Will his existing mobo take a 940, or is it limited to 85W CPUs?

I have NO clue. Lol. I'm still new to that too, I'm afraid.
m
l
November 2, 2010 4:21:26 PM

Quote:
save a little more and do something like this:
(something)
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G
AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black (3.0GHZ) - HDZ740WFGIBOX
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Stock Heatsink/Fan
ATi Radeon HD 5770
4GB (2 x 2GB) G.SKILL Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1333 Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB
OCZ Technology 60 GB Vertex 2 Series SATA II
SAMSUNG BLU-RAY COMBO 8X BLACK BD ROM/DVD WRITER
Apevia X-Qboii Black Micro ATX Case (clear view)w/ Corsair 450 watt psu
120mm case fan / 5.25 bay twin fan case cooler
3.5in card reader and/or 3.5in digital fan controller
Windows 7 x64 OEM

I like this setup as well; I'm thinking about a new motherboard anyway, especially if I'm going to be putting all this in effect in January Lord's will. I'm still looking at the differences in the processors that you guys mentioned, but the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Stock Heatsink/Fan that you mentioned is currently out of stock at the moment at newegg. I decided to go with the 6850 graphics card because it's better than the 5770 and it's only about $20.00-$30.00 more. I DO need more memory because I only have a little over 1GB of RAM and most current cames require at least two. I think my hard drive is fine (I THINK), but I will put it into consideration. I was thinking about deleting everything from my hard drive and starting over from scratch, however. I have no clue what OCZ tech is(I'm still new to the world of computer gaming). Lol. I'm checking on the differences on the cases, too. I probably need another fan as well because mine collects alot of dust. Ugh...Windows....lol. I have Vista, so I need to get rid of that too, I suppose. Lol.
m
l
November 2, 2010 5:00:49 PM

Quote:
vista is definitely not as good or friendly as 7, vista along with at least sp1 is stable however i will give it that.
but move to 7, yes.
OCZ is my SSD drive, i have my OS and a few high priority programs on it and I use my HDD for everything else.

LOL! I've had SO, SO, SO many problems with Vista! But Windows 7 doesn't come cheap, though. Hmm...I'll go check out the OCZ tech then. I'm open to any ideas, though as long as they fit my budget and I can play some (at the most part) current games like Fallout 3, Final Fantasy XIV...etc. Lol. If the Lord is willing that is.
m
l
November 2, 2010 5:40:38 PM

Quote:
check it out and you might qualify for student pricing for windows 7.

For Windows 7 or OCZ tech?
m
l
November 2, 2010 6:04:53 PM

Quote:
windows 7

Lol. Obviously. Sorry 'bout that. Maybe I will get a discount. I'll go check that out, too. Anyway, thank you for your help! I'm glad I found this website because I was quite lost about all this. Lol.
m
l
November 23, 2010 12:54:21 PM

Best answer selected by Squall17.
m
l
!