Sign in with
Your question

Multiple Displays

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2010 9:49:34 AM

Would anyone know if it would be possible to use x16 PEG card for driving two displays and at the same time use IGC from a chipset (e.g. 965 or GM45) for driving additional one or two displays?
I understand that theoretically it would be feasible but would like to know if in practice anybody is actually doing it.
Thx
Hope

More about : multiple displays

a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2010 10:01:50 AM

as far as i am aware, that is not possible.

however you can get a 5 sereis card for less than 50 bucks, and they are able to drive 3 monitors from a single card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

that one should allow for a 3 monitor setup on the cheap. even has a 10 dollar rebate.
July 12, 2010 10:23:53 AM

Thanks, although the card does have three connectors I am not sure if it actually could drive three independent displays.
Hope-60
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2010 10:25:22 AM

it can, eyefinity is a feature of the 5 series cards. allows you to drive up to 3 monitors from one card (though you have to use a DP>VGA adapter unless you have a DP monitor).

im not sure how well such a low end card will perform with 3 monitors, but wont be gaming or rendering you should be fine.
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2010 5:26:36 PM

Hope-60 said:
Thanks, although the card does have three connectors I am not sure if it actually could drive three independent displays.
Hope-60

it can, im doing it right now :D 

like welshmousepk said, you need an adapter for the third montior if it is not displayport
a c 236 U Graphics card
July 12, 2010 5:32:43 PM

It may depend on your OS. At one time with XP, I think, the OS was able to use only one graphics driver for all the active adapters. I think that has changed with windows 7. If so, you should be OK. If you already have two displays, why not try it?

As an alternative, you could get a cheap second video card that uses the same driver. For instance, the nvidia driver can run everything from a 6600 on up. I have a 3450 and a 5870 to drive two displays under windows-7. My rationale for doing so was to relieve the main graphics card to be able to deliver full gaming power to one monitor.

Even if you do not have a second pcie slot, there are cheap cards that can use a pci slot.
!