GTX 470 bottleneck???

miesmsn

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Hi guys,

I've got a bottleneck question... I'm not that expert in this subject.

My system has a Q6600 CPU and currently a GTS8800 and a SAMSUNG hi-res widescreen monitor on windows vista.
I think it's about time to upgrade my GPU, do you agree???

I want to upgrade to GTX470, but i don't know if my CPU can handle it.
Ofcourse i don't want to buy a new motherboard to fit one of the i5 or i7 processors.

Can someone give me his advice?

Thanks!
Miesman

miesmsn

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
q6600 cpu is standard 2.4 Ghz. I can OC it to 3 Ghz.

So you are saying there shouldn't be any bottleneck issues in this case?

miesmsn

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
right.. only thing i read is that u can "convert" it to a 470 through some bios exchange.. i don't think it's the same though...

Firstly, it depends on resolution. 1920x1080, it's very difficult to bottleneck any GPU under 60 FPS. Almost any modern game is going to tax whatever GPU you get to the fullest. That said, you can still gain some speed by OCing the CPU. Especially if you're considering replacing it, personally I'd try to OC the crap out of it just because you're going to get rid of it if it's not up to snuff. A quad core is nice, and if you can get it to around 3.5ghz it really should hold up for a while in terms of performance.

miesmsn

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
hehe.. yeah.. thanks for your reply...
I've got full HD monitor, so no issue on that.
Ofcourse it's a quad core q6600, i read somewhere else that i could easily OC it to 3.5Ghz. I'm hoping to get MAX performance out of my GTX470 with that setup...

A few games these days are finally taking advantage of Quad Cores (Bad Company 2). However, the faster your clock speed the better. The Q6600 G0 revision were known to OC up to even 3.6Ghz with air coolers. However, much of this came down to your motherboard chipset. The P45 intel boards could possibly do it. If you happen to have an nVidia based 680i board all I can say is "good luck". I had the Q6600 with a 680i and absolutely could do no better than 3.2Ghz. And even that was fairly good for those boards.

If you're playing @ 1920x1080 (where a GTX 470 is great) you should be okay. Games at that resolution will push the GTX 470 if you have settings all maxed out. :) You'd probably only see problems if the game you're playing is CPU bound in and of itself. Bad Company 2 as an example again, wouldn't perform as well with a low speed dual-core.

gerardb

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

+1 :lol: