Feedback on my $1350 build please for editing, 3D

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys,

I need some experts to kindly review my build before I order the parts. I need to use it for some video editing and 3D work. It's coming out to around $1350. I was hoping to spend less, but I *think* it seems reasonable for the power since I plan to use it for a few years.

CPU: Intel Core i7-870
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D EVO
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Hard Drive: 2 x WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200
Case: Antec 300
Case Fans: 3 x Antec 120mm TriCool
CPU H/S Fan: Thermalright Mux-120
DVD: Lite-on DVD Writer SATA Model iHAS424-98

Thoughts?

Appreciate any feedback, thank you!!

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Thanks for the review & response.

Those PSU's are a bit expensive compared to the $70 Antec. Would a Gold certified PSU compared to a Bronze use less electricity? I guess that's what you meant over 4 years?

Regarding the hard drive, the second is just for backup images. I'm not going to RAID or anything, after reading for days it seems it's not worth it. I've been happy with a single drive for years, I think the new processor and memory would give me a good enough speed.

SSD's I read that they're still not reliable. And also expensive with limited capacity.

I think after 5 years when solid state drives, SATA 6, USB 3, etc etc became more mature I'll build using those technologies then. Seems I'm always a generation behind. :)

sp12

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

Yes they would, but it depends on your energy cost and how often you stress your comp (do you render overnight?)

Well, in that case get the FAEX instead of the FALS verison of the caviar black. It has a bit better performance (as long as they're the same price).

As long as you buy an SSD without any firmware issues (almost all of the ones on the market) they're actually a bit safer than hard drives in that they don't randomly crash (in theory). Very expensive, but 100s of times faster than hard drives in random accesses.

bapc

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Oh no, I don't stress it like that. The 3D I do is not highly complex photorealistic stuff.

Found the drive you are referring to, it's a 64mb cache SATA 6 version.

Will I be able to run that or utilize it to its full potential? the motherboard doesn't support SATA 6.