Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Do all laptops run hot??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 6, 2004 4:24:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I want to get a laptop. Circit City has a HP, with a Celeron M 320 I believe
on sale. Would this laptop run on the hot side? Do most laptops run hot or
is that the bigger, faster chips only?

thanks

More about : laptops run hot

December 6, 2004 4:24:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

What do you mean by run hot on the side? The side of the notebook getting
warm? Then yes. Obviously, processors such as the pentium M will produce
quite a bit less heat than the Pentium 4 line. I would think that the
celeron M is probably the coolest running chip out there for notebooks.
"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:kxOsd.37475$1u.5039@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I want to get a laptop. Circit City has a HP, with a Celeron M 320 I
>believe
> on sale. Would this laptop run on the hot side? Do most laptops run hot or
> is that the bigger, faster chips only?
>
> thanks
>
>
December 6, 2004 7:32:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Dan <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote:
: What do you mean by run hot on the side? The side of the notebook getting
: warm? Then yes. Obviously, processors such as the pentium M will produce
: quite a bit less heat than the Pentium 4 line. I would think that the
: celeron M is probably the coolest running chip out there for notebooks.

Why would you think that? The Celeron M has a smaller cache than its
big brother the Pentium M, and the larger cache helps save battery
power. Whenever you miss the cache, you have to go outside the CPU to
get your data and that burns power.

Even the Pentium M (Centrino) and Celeron M-based notebooks get warm,
but they should run much cooler than their Pentium 4 counterparts.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Related resources
December 6, 2004 2:24:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I would think the celeron M is cooler because of the lack of extra cache.
Maybe not by much though. I didn't really mention anything about battery
life.
"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:kxOsd.37475$1u.5039@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I want to get a laptop. Circit City has a HP, with a Celeron M 320 I
>believe
> on sale. Would this laptop run on the hot side? Do most laptops run hot or
> is that the bigger, faster chips only?
>
> thanks
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 9:01:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Do your self a favor for $20 buy a laptop cooler that the laptop sits on top
of with 2 fans powered by the USB portwhen the unit is on. will save you in
repairs later.

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
news:CJ%sd.13409$Ou1.735343@weber.videotron.net...
> I would think the celeron M is cooler because of the lack of extra cache.
> Maybe not by much though. I didn't really mention anything about battery
> life.
> "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:kxOsd.37475$1u.5039@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> >I want to get a laptop. Circit City has a HP, with a Celeron M 320 I
> >believe
> > on sale. Would this laptop run on the hot side? Do most laptops run hot
or
> > is that the bigger, faster chips only?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 1:49:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

George wrote:
> I want to get a laptop. Circit City has a HP, with a Celeron M 320 I
believe
> on sale. Would this laptop run on the hot side? Do most laptops run
hot or
> is that the bigger, faster chips only?
>
> thanks

Hi George,
The Celeron M will run cooler than the Pentium 4. You will also
get better battery life. Most run for up to 5 hours as compared to 1.5
hours for most Pentium 4 models. Most manufacturers have switched over
to the mobile (M) processors now. You will likely only be able to find
the Pentium 4 or regular Celeron models in used or refurbished
condition. You really shouldn't need any cooling equipment for the
newer models unless you run the laptop 24/7. Just as a suggestion, you
might want to consider buying from a retailer with experienced tech
support staff. You can view our online offers at
http://www.siliconalleycomputers.com . We offer free shipping on orders
over $1000.

Thank you for your consideration.
Silicon Alley Computers
www.siliconalleycomputers.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 1:50:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

George wrote:
> I want to get a laptop. Circit City has a HP, with a Celeron M 320 I
believe
> on sale. Would this laptop run on the hot side? Do most laptops run
hot or
> is that the bigger, faster chips only?
>
> thanks

Hi George,
The Celeron M will run cooler than the Pentium 4. You will also
get better battery life. Most run for up to 5 hours as compared to 1.5
hours for most Pentium 4 models. Most manufacturers have switched over
to the mobile (M) processors now. You will likely only be able to find
the Pentium 4 or regular Celeron models in used or refurbished
condition. You really shouldn't need any cooling equipment for the
newer models unless you run the laptop 24/7. Just as a suggestion, you
might want to consider buying from a retailer with experienced tech
support staff. You can view our online offers at
http://www.siliconalleycomputers.com . We offer free shipping on orders
over $1000.

Thank you for your consideration.
Silicon Alley Computers
www.siliconalleycomputers.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 1:22:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Most people have mentioned processor, but on my laptop, the harddrive makes
the most heat. It's a high-speed harddrive (5400rpm), and just under the
right palm rest. The rest of the computer is perfectly cool - no hotter
than when off, really, but the harddrive is warm (not hot).

Duncan.

"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:kxOsd.37475$1u.5039@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I want to get a laptop. Circit City has a HP, with a Celeron M 320 I
>believe
> on sale. Would this laptop run on the hot side? Do most laptops run hot or
> is that the bigger, faster chips only?
>
> thanks
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 11:22:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Yeah I agree, for 20 bux you can get the ultimate 4 fan notebook
cooler. It's one of the best notebook cooler I've used so far. It has
not just an on/off switch but a variable speed control in which you can
adjust the speed setting of the fan. Also I got the option ac adapter
for this notebook cooler. What's so great bout the adapter is that I
could set the voltage at a higher level and make the fans spin a bit
faster than usual.

Check it out:
http://www.hardwarecooling.com/product_info.php/cPath/3...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 3:00:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I am reading this thread with great interest. I posted a similar
article about my Dell with a P4 and the fan NEVER turns off.

1) Would this fan idea allow the Dell fan to turn off sometimes.

I am concerned that the fan will wear out in a year or two.
2) Is this supposition true? What is the MTBF on a Dell fan?

3) lastly do these fans mess up your hand and arm ergonomics? It seems
like the fan might raise the notebook up too high, and my chair is
already all the way up I don't want to feel like a Tyranosaurus Rex
with my arms curled up into some weird position?

Cheers, David
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 4:05:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

BILL SMITH wrote:
> Do your self a favor for $20 buy a laptop cooler that the laptop sits
on top
> of with 2 fans powered by the USB portwhen the unit is on. will save
you in
> repairs later.

You know whats really funny... When my Dell is sitting on a desk in a
cool/cold room (room temp aroaund 65 deg F) there isn't enough airflow
to the underside fan to play DivX movies!
Perhaps I'll look into that USB Laptop Cooler.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 4:07:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

George wrote:
> I want to get a laptop. Circit City has a HP, with a Celeron M 320 I
believe
> on sale. Would this laptop run on the hot side? Do most laptops run
hot or
> is that the bigger, faster chips only?

Describe hot?

If you wonder about temperature of your system, you can search the 'net
for utilities to measure CPU temp. Modern chips almost always have
sensors, its just a matter of software to read it.

I know when my CPU gets to like 71 deg C the system is dangerously hot
and almost always turns itself off not long there after.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 4:12:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Rhino 007 wrote:
> I am reading this thread with great interest. I posted a similar
> article about my Dell with a P4 and the fan NEVER turns off.
>
> 1) Would this fan idea allow the Dell fan to turn off sometimes.
>
> I am concerned that the fan will wear out in a year or two.
> 2) Is this supposition true? What is the MTBF on a Dell fan?
>
> 3) lastly do these fans mess up your hand and arm ergonomics? It
seems
> like the fan might raise the notebook up too high, and my chair is
> already all the way up I don't want to feel like a Tyranosaurus Rex
> with my arms curled up into some weird position?

I would say for you, that you should search for computer monitoring
software, if your fans never switch off then something is likely a bit
off. I assume you've upgraded to the latest BIOS?

Some software can tell you if your CPU is running hot. What is your
CPU speed?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 5:05:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Rhino 007 wrote:
> I am reading this thread with great interest. I posted a similar
> article about my Dell with a P4 and the fan NEVER turns off.
>
> 1) Would this fan idea allow the Dell fan to turn off sometimes.
>
> I am concerned that the fan will wear out in a year or two.
> 2) Is this supposition true? What is the MTBF on a Dell fan?
>
> 3) lastly do these fans mess up your hand and arm ergonomics? It
seems
> like the fan might raise the notebook up too high, and my chair is
> already all the way up I don't want to feel like a Tyranosaurus Rex
> with my arms curled up into some weird position?

I would say for you, that you should search for computer monitoring
software, if your fans never switch off then something is likely a bit
off. I assume you've upgraded to the latest BIOS?

Some software can tell you if your CPU is running hot. What is your
CPU speed?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 10:08:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a compaq presario 700 series notebook here (1.5 Athlon) you
could buy.. (joking).. I can defrost my windshield @ -30 Farenheit
with it.. Athlon's are a hot box.... If you are in Alaska I'll sell
this laptop/defroster/lapwarmer/Igloo climate control device, with
free shipping... OH And if you buy it now? You get a FREE ROnco pocket
refridgerator!!!! Go with the M series.. The heat on the side you are
feeling is the exhaust from the fans...
!