sp2 to sp1

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi

Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I would
like to retain all apps during the process if possible.

Thanks

Regards
69 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    John;
    Did SP-2 come installed on the computer or was SP-2 part of the installation
    CD?
    Perform a Repair Installation with a pre SP-2 CD should do it.
    But you may have problems with the Product Key, Activation etc depending on
    the versions involved.

    Why do you want to downgrade the security of your computer?
    Eventually you will need SP-2.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    > reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I would
    > like to retain all apps during the process if possible.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    John wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    > reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I
    > would like to retain all apps during the process if possible.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards

    WARNING! BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING, BACK UP EVERYTHING!

    Okay, What did I just say?

    BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING, BACK UP EVERYTHING!

    Is that clear?

    One more time!

    BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING, BACK UP EVERYTHING!

    You can try to do a repair install with the SP1 CD.

    But remember:

    BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING, BACK UP EVERYTHING!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    John wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    > reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I would
    > like to retain all apps during the process if possible.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards

    If SP2 was added as an upgrade then see this link for how to remove it.

    How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875350

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    John wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    > reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I would
    > like to retain all apps during the process if possible.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    The dell pc came pre-installed with sp2. I am having problem with one access
    app which uses internet transfer control to post to a web site and it does
    not work with sp2. All pre-sp2 pcs work fine. I have worked with an ISA
    server MS guy (as all pcs are behind and sbs2003/Isa 2000 server) and he
    thinks somehow sp2 is prohibiting the itc from sending user credentials to
    ISA server hence ISA server responds by 407 Proxy authentication required.
    Have spent a lot of time on both pc and server settings. Don't know what to
    do except downgrade the pc to sp1.

    Thanks

    Regards

    > John;
    > Did SP-2 come installed on the computer or was SP-2 part of the
    > installation CD?
    > Perform a Repair Installation with a pre SP-2 CD should do it.
    > But you may have problems with the Product Key, Activation etc depending
    > on the versions involved.
    >
    > Why do you want to downgrade the security of your computer?
    > Eventually you will need SP-2.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    >> reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I would
    >> like to retain all apps during the process if possible.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Regards

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    If SP2 is included with your new Dell PC, it cannot be uninstalled
    or removed. Therefore, you cannot downgrade your system to SP1.

    Using programs and hardware with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2swhw

    Some programs 'seem' to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    John wrote:

    > The dell pc came pre-installed with sp2. I am having problem with one access
    > app which uses internet transfer control to post to a web site and it does
    > not work with sp2. All pre-sp2 pcs work fine. I have worked with an ISA
    > server MS guy (as all pcs are behind and sbs2003/Isa 2000 server) and he
    > thinks somehow sp2 is prohibiting the itc from sending user credentials to
    > ISA server hence ISA server responds by 407 Proxy authentication required.
    > Have spent a lot of time on both pc and server settings. Don't know what to
    > do except downgrade the pc to sp1.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards

    Set FTP to passive mode in Internet Options, Advanced.

    Steve

    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>John;
    >>Did SP-2 come installed on the computer or was SP-2 part of the
    >>installation CD?
    >>Perform a Repair Installation with a pre SP-2 CD should do it.
    >>But you may have problems with the Product Key, Activation etc depending
    >>on the versions involved.
    >>
    >>Why do you want to downgrade the security of your computer?
    >>Eventually you will need SP-2.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >>http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >>In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    >>http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >>"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    >>>reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I would
    >>>like to retain all apps during the process if possible.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Regards

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Would any of these method required re-installing apps?

    Thanks

    Regards

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > John wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    >> reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I would
    >> like to retain all apps during the process if possible.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Regards

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    This depends on whether your SP2 is a part of your installation. CD just as
    Jupiter said.
    :)
    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com>
    ??????:OiuJc5%23YFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >
    > John wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    >> reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I would
    >> like to retain all apps during the process if possible.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Regards

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi John,

    I noticed that your SP2 is pre-installed ,so cannot be removed separatedly.
    "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:O4vhhYFZFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Would any of these method required re-installing apps?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >> John wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    >>> reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation? Ideally I
    >>> would like to retain all apps during the process if possible.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Regards

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I have got a couple of new pcs coming in the same configuration. If I
    repair-install with sp1 before installing any app, would that work?
    Obviously I can always completely wipe off and start with sp1 on a pc but
    whatever is quickest.

    Regards

    "lucyfer" <lucyfer81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi John,
    >
    > I noticed that your SP2 is pre-installed ,so cannot be removed
    > separatedly.
    > "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk>
    > дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:O4vhhYFZFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> Would any of these method required re-installing apps?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>> ssg MS-MVP

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2 installation.
    An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD will fail because
    SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    John wrote:

    > I have got a couple of new pcs coming in the same configuration. If I
    > repair-install with sp1 before installing any app, would that work?
    > Obviously I can always completely wipe off and start with sp1 on a pc but
    > whatever is quickest.
    >
    > Regards

    Did you try setting FTP to passive mode as I suggested?

    Steve

    > "lucyfer" <lucyfer81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi John,
    >>
    >>I noticed that your SP2 is pre-installed ,so cannot be removed
    >>separatedly.
    >>"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk>
    >>дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:O4vhhYFZFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >>
    >>>Would any of these method required re-installing apps?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>
    >>>"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
    > installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
    > will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.
    Hi,

    Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
    actually remove SP2.

    From

    <quote>
    Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
    will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
    </quote>

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
    >> installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
    >> will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.
    > Hi,
    >
    > Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
    > actually remove SP2.
    >
    > From
    >
    > <quote>
    > Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
    > will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
    > </quote>

    Thanks Torgeir!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hello Torgeir -

    SP2 cannot be removed if the original SP2 uninstall files do not exist,
    such as the case with a preinstalled Windows XP installation with SP2
    already slipstreamed in at the factory.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
    >> installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
    >> will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
    > actually remove SP2.
    >
    > From
    >
    > <quote>
    > Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
    > will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
    > </quote>

    It's about time!

    Steve
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I think the point of contention is that if you perform a "Repair" install
    with any earlier XP version disk, you will remove whatever SP level
    existed. But you are right that embedded or Slipstreamed disks do
    not have a SP roll-back capability.

    Steve N. wrote:
    > Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
    >
    >> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>> No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
    >>> installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
    >>> will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
    >> actually remove SP2.
    >>
    >> From
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
    >> will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
    >> </quote>
    >>

    > It's about time!
    >
    > Steve

    And Carey is still trying to hang on to his delusion, even though a
    fellow MVP tried to correct him.

    http://www.microscum.com/carey/

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
    you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
    the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    | I think the point of contention is that if you perform a "Repair" install
    | with any earlier XP version disk, you will remove whatever SP level
    | existed. But you are right that embedded or Slipstreamed disks do
    | not have a SP roll-back capability.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
    > you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
    > the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.

    Please somebody, ask him if he has tried this himself? He won't see
    this post of mine.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
    > you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
    > the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.

    Now how can I put this mildly?...

    I just did it with a clean install of XP Pro OEM SP2 and did a repair
    install from an XP Pro OEM SP1 CD. No errors, no problems, the box is
    now running XP Pro SP1.

    You are a liar and a fraud. You never test anything. I do and I've
    proven you wrong once again.

    You don't deserve the MVP title.

    Steve
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1
    > CD, you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be
    > removed and the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.
    Hi,

    No, you will not...

    I have just tested this:

    Clean install using a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed. Now I have a
    WinXP SP2 installation where the $NtServicePackUninstall$ and
    ServicePackFiles folder does NOT exist. Winver.exe reports that
    Service Pack 2 is installed.

    Then I use a WinXP CD with SP1 slipstreamed and do a repair install
    following the instructions in step 1 to 6 that is listed here:

    I get no error messages about incompatible service pack levels or
    files, everything goes smoothly.

    After the repair install is finished and the computer reboots, I have
    Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. Winver.exe reports that
    Service Pack 1 is installed, and e.g. the Security Center is gone.

    Conclusion:
    With a repair install, you can remove SP2 for WinXP even when SP2 was
    slipstreamed into the OS install media, or if you have deleted the
    $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
    > you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
    > the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.
    Hi,

    That did not happen for me when following the instructions here:

    This on a slipstreamed WinXP SP2 installation (so the
    $NTServicePackUinistall$ folder did not exist).

    The computer ended up with WinXP SP1 installed.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    If necessary, I'll do a Repair on a Slipstreamed SP2 XP VPC. But
    I've never seen a repair install do any type of vision checking. Why
    else would all documentation on Repair install make mention of the
    need to reapply Hotfixes and Service Packs after completion. Does
    that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
    out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?

    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1 CD,
    >> you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be removed and
    >> the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.
    >
    > Please somebody, ask him if he has tried this himself? He won't see this
    > post of mine.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Well I'm late with my results, but a VPC with XP-SP2 was
    repaired with the original "Gold" version CD-ROM. Worked
    as expected, no issues. The SP2 XP instance was slipstreamed
    so no SP Uninstall or ServicePackFiles factored into the test.

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1
    >> CD, you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be
    >> removed and the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.
    > Hi,
    >
    > No, you will not...
    >
    > I have just tested this:
    >
    > Clean install using a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed. Now I have a
    > WinXP SP2 installation where the $NtServicePackUninstall$ and
    > ServicePackFiles folder does NOT exist. Winver.exe reports that
    > Service Pack 2 is installed.
    >
    > Then I use a WinXP CD with SP1 slipstreamed and do a repair install
    > following the instructions in step 1 to 6 that is listed here:
    >
    > I get no error messages about incompatible service pack levels or
    > files, everything goes smoothly.
    >
    > After the repair install is finished and the computer reboots, I have
    > Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. Winver.exe reports that
    > Service Pack 1 is installed, and e.g. the Security Center is gone.
    >
    > Conclusion:
    > With a repair install, you can remove SP2 for WinXP even when SP2 was
    > slipstreamed into the OS install media, or if you have deleted the
    > $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder.

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1
    >> CD, you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be
    >> removed and the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > No, you will not...
    >
    > I have just tested this:
    >
    > Clean install using a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed. Now I have a
    > WinXP SP2 installation where the $NtServicePackUninstall$ and
    > ServicePackFiles folder does NOT exist. Winver.exe reports that
    > Service Pack 2 is installed.
    >
    > Then I use a WinXP CD with SP1 slipstreamed and do a repair install
    > following the instructions in step 1 to 6 that is listed here:
    >
    > I get no error messages about incompatible service pack levels or
    > files, everything goes smoothly.
    >
    > After the repair install is finished and the computer reboots, I have
    > Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. Winver.exe reports that
    > Service Pack 1 is installed, and e.g. the Security Center is gone.
    >
    > Conclusion:
    > With a repair install, you can remove SP2 for WinXP even when SP2 was
    > slipstreamed into the OS install media, or if you have deleted the
    > $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder.

    And I can attest that a clean install from an OEM Win XP Pro Sp2 CD (not
    slipstreamed) can be taken back to SP1 with a repair install from an XP
    Pro OEM SP1 CD.

    Carey is full of it, as is nearly usual. He never tests anything for
    himself.

    Thanks again, Torgeir.

    Steve
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1
    >> CD, you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be
    >> removed and the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort. Hi,
    >
    > No, you will not...
    >
    > I have just tested this:
    >
    > Clean install using a WinXP CD with SP2 slipstreamed. Now I have a
    > WinXP SP2 installation where the $NtServicePackUninstall$ and
    > ServicePackFiles folder does NOT exist. Winver.exe reports that
    > Service Pack 2 is installed.
    >
    > Then I use a WinXP CD with SP1 slipstreamed and do a repair install
    > following the instructions in step 1 to 6 that is listed here:
    >
    > I get no error messages about incompatible service pack levels or
    > files, everything goes smoothly.
    >
    > After the repair install is finished and the computer reboots, I have
    > Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. Winver.exe reports that
    > Service Pack 1 is installed, and e.g. the Security Center is gone.
    >
    > Conclusion:
    > With a repair install, you can remove SP2 for WinXP even when SP2 was
    > slipstreamed into the OS install media, or if you have deleted the
    > $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder.

    I was gonna test it myself after the Indy 500 was over, but you saved me
    from having to.

    Again, thanks Torgeir!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Steve N. wrote:
    >> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you attempt to perform a Repair Install using a Windows XP SP1
    >>> CD, you will get an error message that the SP2 files cannot be
    >>> removed and the Repair Install will fail and subsequently abort.
    >>>

    >> Now how can I put this mildly?...
    >>
    >> I just did it with a clean install of XP Pro OEM SP2 and did a repair
    >> install from an XP Pro OEM SP1 CD. No errors, no problems, the box is
    >> now running XP Pro SP1.
    >>
    >> You are a liar and a fraud. You never test anything. I do and I've
    >> proven you wrong once again.
    >>
    >> You don't deserve the MVP title.
    >>
    >> Steve

    "Liar" is a little harsh here. Someone may not have their facts right, but
    that doesn't make them a liar. And even Windows wizzes can't cover
    everything so although he might be mistaken, "fraud" too is a little harsh,
    at least in my opinion.
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    R. McCarty wrote:
    > If necessary, I'll do a Repair on a Slipstreamed SP2 XP VPC. But
    > I've never seen a repair install do any type of vision checking. Why
    > else would all documentation on Repair install make mention of the
    > need to reapply Hotfixes and Service Packs after completion. Does
    > that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
    > out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?

    Last time I tried it was with a SP1 install and a RTM CD, and the repair
    install did the "downgrade" with no problems. I would assume it would
    work the same with a SP2 install and a SP1 or RTM CD.

    My problem with Carey is that he often spouts info that he has heard,
    and has never tried himself.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Q: "Does that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
    out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?".

    A: Only as long as the "uninstall" files for the Service Packs exist. If the
    Service Pack uninstall files do not exist, as in the case of a slipstreamed
    version, then the Service Pack cannot be uninstalled.

    I have actually tried performing a Repair Install using the original RTM
    Windows XP CD or a Windows XP CD with SP1 after having deleted
    the SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) in Windows Explorer.
    The only repair install that will work is with a Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed.

    With a new computer that comes preinstalled with Windows XP SP2, the
    SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) does not exist,
    therefore SP2 cannot be uninstalled manually or via a repair install using
    a pre-SP2 Windows XP CD.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    | If necessary, I'll do a Repair on a Slipstreamed SP2 XP VPC. But
    | I've never seen a repair install do any type of vision checking. Why
    | else would all documentation on Repair install make mention of the
    | need to reapply Hotfixes and Service Packs after completion. Does
    | that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
    | out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    It worked in your case because you did not delete the SP1 uninstall file
    directory
    ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) prior to performing a repair install with a RTM
    CD.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "kurttrail" wrote:

    > R. McCarty wrote:
    > > If necessary, I'll do a Repair on a Slipstreamed SP2 XP VPC. But
    > > I've never seen a repair install do any type of vision checking. Why
    > > else would all documentation on Repair install make mention of the
    > > need to reapply Hotfixes and Service Packs after completion. Does
    > > that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
    > > out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?
    > >

    > Last time I tried it was with a SP1 install and a RTM CD, and the repair
    > install did the "downgrade" with no problems. I would assume it would
    > work the same with a SP2 install and a SP1 or RTM CD.
    >
    > My problem with Carey is that he often spouts info that he has heard,
    > and has never tried himself.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi Torgeir,

    If the computer was supplied with an SP2 slipstreamed CD from the retailer
    (with WinXP SP2 slipstream installation), where are the pre SP2 files
    supposed to come from whilst performing the repair? Are you possibly
    talking about using another SP1 disk altogether? In that case, would there
    be product key complications, and where could this be procured from. I hate
    to say this, but Carey might be right this time?

    Please verify, thanks.

    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
    >> installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
    >> will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.
    > Hi,
    >
    > Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
    > actually remove SP2.
    >
    > From
    >
    > <quote>
    > Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
    > will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
    > </quote>

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dilip wrote:

    > Hi Torgeir,
    >
    > If the computer was supplied with an SP2 slipstreamed CD from the
    > retailer (with WinXP SP2 slipstream installation), where are the
    > pre SP2 files supposed to come from whilst performing the repair?

    From the WinXP SP1 CD that you use for the repair operation.

    > Are you possibly talking about using another SP1 disk
    > altogether?

    Yes.

    > In that case, would there be product key complications,
    > and where could this be procured from.

    As long as the WinXP SP1 OS is of the same type as the original WinXP SP2 OS installation,
    there will be no product key complications.

    > I hate to say this, but Carey might be right this time?

    Nope.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dilip wrote:
    > Hi Torgeir,
    >
    > If the computer was supplied with an SP2 slipstreamed CD from the
    > retailer (with WinXP SP2 slipstream installation), where are the pre
    > SP2 files supposed to come from whilst performing the repair? Are
    > you possibly talking about using another SP1 disk altogether? In
    > that case, would there be product key complications, and where could
    > this be procured from. I hate to say this, but Carey might be right
    > this time?
    > Please verify, thanks.

    There are no key changes between SP1 & 2. As long as you are using the
    same type of XP, OEM SP1 to repair a OEM SP2 install. Or Retail SP1 to
    repair a Retail SP2 install.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    yes, it was already set to passive.

    regards

    "Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    >
    >> I have got a couple of new pcs coming in the same configuration. If I
    >> repair-install with sp1 before installing any app, would that work?
    >> Obviously I can always completely wipe off and start with sp1 on a pc but
    >> whatever is quickest.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >
    > Did you try setting FTP to passive mode as I suggested?
    >
    > Steve
    >

    >> "lucyfer" <lucyfer81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi John,
    >>>
    >>>I noticed that your SP2 is pre-installed ,so cannot be removed
    >>>separatedly.
    >>>"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk>
    >>>дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:O4vhhYFZFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > < lol > I've been reading Carey's posts for years. He is consistently
    > right on the money, as much as any human being can be, and I've
    > learned a great deal from his answers to peoples' questions. Which is
    > more than I can say for you.

    LOL! Then you are blind, deaf, and dumb, and I don't mean the latter as
    in you are incapable of speaking.

    Carey is the most consistently wrong regular, MVP or non-MVP, in XP-gen.
    He often misreads post, so that what he copies and pastes often has
    nothing to do with what the OP is asking.

    And the only thing that is consistent about Carey is that he copies and
    paste his answers. And if you didn't know how to copy and paste then
    Carey would be an authority on that, and that only! Carey regurgitates
    the answers of others, and hasn't shown that to me that he knows
    ANYTHING about computing, other than copying and pasting, and how to use
    OE as a newsreader, and I've reading his posts for at least the last 3
    years.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I can see why you are a "Self-anointed Moderator". Who else would?

    Ted Zieglar

    > Ted Zieglar wrote:
    >> < lol > I've been reading Carey's posts for years. He is consistently
    >> right on the money, as much as any human being can be, and I've
    >> learned a great deal from his answers to peoples' questions. Which is
    >> more than I can say for you.
    >
    > LOL! Then you are blind, deaf, and dumb, and I don't mean the latter as
    > in you are incapable of speaking.
    >
    > Carey is the most consistently wrong regular, MVP or non-MVP, in XP-gen.
    > He often misreads post, so that what he copies and pastes often has
    > nothing to do with what the OP is asking.
    >
    > And the only thing that is consistent about Carey is that he copies and
    > paste his answers. And if you didn't know how to copy and paste then
    > Carey would be an authority on that, and that only! Carey regurgitates
    > the answers of others, and hasn't shown that to me that he knows ANYTHING
    > about computing, other than copying and pasting, and how to use OE as a
    > newsreader, and I've reading his posts for at least the last 3 years.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    David Candy wrote:
    > Come on Carey defend yourself. I can teach you how to swear if you
    > don't know how. I can teach you to be really abusive. I can show you
    > threads by your namesake (who interviewed Doug Knox on some yankee
    > computer radio show with ads on baldness and weight loss) on how to
    > conduct a strategic offensive. I can show you how to humilate people
    > without swearing as well by clinically disecting someone with utter
    > psychobabble.
    >
    > FIGHT!!!! Email me for tips.

    Yes, but can you teach him how to copy and paste it, David?! ;-)

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > I can see why you are a "Self-anointed Moderator". Who else would?

    LOL! I have that in my sig to make fun of myself, so if you are gonna
    try to make of me, why don't you try to think up something original.

    I just love it when morons like you abandon everything in a thread to
    come after me!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > Q: "Does that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
    > out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?".
    >
    > A: Only as long as the "uninstall" files for the Service Packs exist. If the
    > Service Pack uninstall files do not exist, as in the case of a slipstreamed
    > version, then the Service Pack cannot be uninstalled.
    >
    > I have actually tried performing a Repair Install using the original RTM
    > Windows XP CD or a Windows XP CD with SP1 after having deleted
    > the SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) in Windows Explorer.
    > The only repair install that will work is with a Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed.
    >
    > With a new computer that comes preinstalled with Windows XP SP2, the
    > SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) does not exist,
    > therefore SP2 cannot be uninstalled manually or via a repair install using
    > a pre-SP2 Windows XP CD.

    Are you really that dense? You've got to be lying about actually trying
    it because I just did it yesterday and so did Torgeir. Clean install
    from an XP Pro SP2 CD, then a repair install from an XP Pro SP1 CD. No
    errors, period. Not even a re-activation required. The box is now
    running XP Pro SP1.

    Steve
  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    David Candy wrote:

    > Come on Carey defend yourself. I can teach you how to swear if you
    > don't know how. I can teach you to be really abusive. I can show you
    > threads by your namesake (who interviewed Doug Knox on some yankee
    > computer radio show with ads on baldness and weight loss) on how to
    > conduct a strategic offensive. I can show you how to humilate people
    > without swearing as well by clinically disecting someone with utter
    > psychobabble.
    >
    > FIGHT!!!! Email me for tips.

    ROFLMAO! You're too much David!

    Steve
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    >> Are you possibly talking about using another SP1 disk
    >> altogether?
    >
    > Yes.

    Well yes, then, of course this would work. The problem might be getting one
    of those disks from the manufacturer. There was never a doubt in my mind
    that a roll back of SP2 to SP1 could be performed with an SP1 disk - I've
    deleted all the uninstall directories and done this earlier (I've messed a
    *lot* with installations :-). The real deal was to *get* this disk from the
    OEM (if a slipstreamed SP2 disk was supplied originally) which I suspect,
    they may fuss about. Has anyone tried this?

    >> In that case, would there be product key complications,
    >> and where could this be procured from.
    >
    > As long as the WinXP SP1 OS is of the same type as the original WinXP SP2
    > OS installation, there will be no product key complications.
    >

    >> I hate to say this, but Carey might be right this time?
    >
    > Nope.

    No surprises there; we all know it 8-).

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dilip wrote:
    >>> Are you possibly talking about using another SP1 disk
    >>> altogether?
    >>
    >> Yes.
    >
    > Well yes, then, of course this would work.

    Not according to Carey. He categorically denied that it would work.

    > The problem might be
    > getting one of those disks from the manufacturer.

    "Is there anyway to bring down an sp2 machine to sp1? Possibly by
    reinstalling from xp sp1 cd on top of a sp2 installation?"

    One would presume that the OP already had access to the SP1 CD, if he
    was asking whether is could help in downgrading to SP2 to SP1.

    > There was never a
    > doubt in my mind that a roll back of SP2 to SP1 could be performed
    > with an SP1 disk - I've deleted all the uninstall directories and
    > done this earlier (I've messed a *lot* with installations :-). The
    > real deal was to *get* this disk from the OEM (if a slipstreamed SP2
    > disk was supplied originally) which I suspect, they may fuss about.
    > Has anyone tried this?

    I don't see that as a relevant question in this thread. But I doubt an
    OEM would supply any CD media that it is not required to supply.

    >>> In that case, would there be product key complications,
    >>> and where could this be procured from.
    >>
    >> As long as the WinXP SP1 OS is of the same type as the original
    >> WinXP SP2 OS installation, there will be no product key
    >> complications.
    >>> I hate to say this, but Carey might be right this time?
    >>
    >> Nope.
    >
    > No surprises there; we all know it 8-).

    LOL! At least most of us know it. :)

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    kurttrail wrote:

    > David Candy wrote:
    >
    >>Come on Carey defend yourself. I can teach you how to swear if you
    >>don't know how. I can teach you to be really abusive. I can show you
    >>threads by your namesake (who interviewed Doug Knox on some yankee
    >>computer radio show with ads on baldness and weight loss) on how to
    >>conduct a strategic offensive. I can show you how to humilate people
    >>without swearing as well by clinically disecting someone with utter
    >>psychobabble.
    >>
    >>FIGHT!!!! Email me for tips.
    >>

    > Yes, but can you teach him how to copy and paste it, David?! ;-)

    LOL!

    Do you really think he needs any help with that?

    Steve
  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Carey,
    You're full of it, we do this every day with PC's that are delivered
    with SP2 installed at the factory. We pop in the SP1 CD, do the repair
    install, and install all hotfixes applying to SP1 except the SP2 update.
    There are no "UNINSTALL" files as the CD's accompanying the PC's has SP2
    slipstreamed in - that's why MS always says to reinstall "hotfixes" and
    "service packs" as applicable after a "REPAIR" install - it brings the OS
    back down to the baseline found on the CD and/or image.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    > Q: "Does that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will
    > take
    > out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?".
    >
    > A: Only as long as the "uninstall" files for the Service Packs exist. If
    > the
    > Service Pack uninstall files do not exist, as in the case of a
    > slipstreamed
    > version, then the Service Pack cannot be uninstalled.
    >
    > I have actually tried performing a Repair Install using the original
    > RTM
    > Windows XP CD or a Windows XP CD with SP1 after having deleted
    > the SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) in
    > Windows Explorer.
    > The only repair install that will work is with a Windows XP CD with
    > SP2 slipstreamed.
    >
    > With a new computer that comes preinstalled with Windows XP SP2, the
    > SP2 uninstall file directory ( $NTServicePackUinistall$) does not
    > exist,
    > therefore SP2 cannot be uninstalled manually or via a repair install
    > using
    > a pre-SP2 Windows XP CD.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    >
    > | If necessary, I'll do a Repair on a Slipstreamed SP2 XP VPC. But
    > | I've never seen a repair install do any type of vision checking. Why
    > | else would all documentation on Repair install make mention of the
    > | need to reapply Hotfixes and Service Packs after completion. Does
    > | that not imply that whatever baseline version disk you use will take
    > | out all updates & patches released after that version disk ?

  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Maybe Steve N could be a little nicer, but Carey does have a habit of
    spouting off about things he is totally incorrect about, and then trying to
    make the ones who are correcting him look foolish. I knew a guy in
    high-school like that one, after he got his butt kicked a few times in
    college, he quit doing it - strange how that works (not saying we should
    kick Carey's butt either), just Carey needs to focus more on "QUALITY" than
    "QUANTITY".

    --

    "Stephen" <stephen@online.nospam> wrote in message
    > Steve N. wrote:

    >>> Now how can I put this mildly?...
    >>>
    >>> I just did it with a clean install of XP Pro OEM SP2 and did a repair
    >>> install from an XP Pro OEM SP1 CD. No errors, no problems, the box is
    >>> now running XP Pro SP1.
    >>>
    >>> You are a liar and a fraud. You never test anything. I do and I've
    >>> proven you wrong once again.
    >>>
    >>> You don't deserve the MVP title.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >
    > "Liar" is a little harsh here. Someone may not have their facts right, but
    > that doesn't make them a liar. And even Windows wizzes can't cover
    > everything so although he might be mistaken, "fraud" too is a little
    > harsh,
    > at least in my opinion.

  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Have you ever tried? I don't aggree with you base on my experience.
    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com>
    ??????:uF4AZMGZFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> No. There are no SP2 uninstall files with a preinstalled SP2
    >> installation. An attempted Repair Install using a SP1 Windows XP CD
    >> will fail because SP2 would have to be uninstalled first.
    > Hi,
    >
    > Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD will
    > actually remove SP2.
    >
    > From
    >
    > <quote>
    > Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
    > will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
    > </quote>

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    lucyfer wrote:

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Carey, that is wrong, a Repair Install with a SP1 Windows XP CD
    >> will actually remove SP2.
    >>
    >> From
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD
    >> will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.
    >> </quote>
    >
    > Have you ever tried? I don't aggree with you base on my
    > experience.
    Hi,

    Yes, I have tried it, and it works fine (read the rest of the posts
    in this thread).

    But note that you *must* boot on the WinXP SP1 CD, you can not insert
    the WinXP SP1 CD on a running WinXP SP2 installation and select
    "Install Windows XP", that will give you the error message "Setup
    cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
    newer than the version on the CD."

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP