Photoshop: Transparent airbrush??

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 28, 2004 7:57:59 PM

I am trying to cut out a person from one image and paste them into
another and make it look fairly believable using Photoshop CS. I have
made a selection using the polygonal lasso tool and have pasted the
layer onto the background. I was pretty successful at cropping the
image however there are some areas that could use touching up. Is
there a tool were I could airbrush "transparent paint" to get rid of
the unwanted areas smoothly? Is there a better way of doing what I
want to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Harold
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 8:11:58 PM

haroldact@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am trying to cut out a person from one image and paste them into
> another and make it look fairly believable using Photoshop CS. I have
> made a selection using the polygonal lasso tool and have pasted the
> layer onto the background. I was pretty successful at cropping the
> image however there are some areas that could use touching up. Is
> there a tool were I could airbrush "transparent paint" to get rid of
> the unwanted areas smoothly? Is there a better way of doing what I
> want to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
> Harold

This may be unsophisticated, but I learned to make a second copy of the
background layer, and to mark a common registration point, then clone
from the second to the one you want to touch up. Transparent paint, yup.

--
Frank ess
December 28, 2004 8:29:22 PM

haroldact@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am trying to cut out a person from one image and paste them into
> another and make it look fairly believable using Photoshop CS. I have
> made a selection using the polygonal lasso tool and have pasted the
> layer onto the background. I was pretty successful at cropping the
> image however there are some areas that could use touching up. Is
> there a tool were I could airbrush "transparent paint" to get rid of
> the unwanted areas smoothly? Is there a better way of doing what I
> want to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
> Harold

The eraser with an "air brush" brush.

Here's a more forgiving method: Copy a very rough block of the person &
paste as a layer on top of your picture. Pull down menu: Layer > Add
layer mask > Hide all. Click the channels tab on the layer pallete &
turn on the mask & make it current, it will be a pale red. Erase out the
part you want to reveal & use a paint brush to add back when you erase
too far or use the smudge tool to push in & out.
December 29, 2004 4:10:19 AM

There are more advanced ways...but from where you are now....don't use the
air brush...use a regular brush with a soft edge....very soft and quite
small....zoom in and have at it. You might want to fade the top layer so you
can see what is under it.

<haroldact@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to cut out a person from one image and paste them into
> another and make it look fairly believable using Photoshop CS. I have
> made a selection using the polygonal lasso tool and have pasted the
> layer onto the background. I was pretty successful at cropping the
> image however there are some areas that could use touching up. Is
> there a tool were I could airbrush "transparent paint" to get rid of
> the unwanted areas smoothly? Is there a better way of doing what I
> want to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
> Harold

December 29, 2004 4:58:09 AM

In article <1104281879.394940.63340@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
haroldact@yahoo.com says...

>I am trying to cut out a person from one image and paste them into
>another and make it look fairly believable using Photoshop CS. I have
>made a selection using the polygonal lasso tool and have pasted the
>layer onto the background. I was pretty successful at cropping the
>image however there are some areas that could use touching up. Is
>there a tool were I could airbrush "transparent paint" to get rid of
>the unwanted areas smoothly? Is there a better way of doing what I
>want to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
>Harold

Check out the use of Layer Masks. In alt.graphics.photoshop, you have a few
answers as to the best way to do what you wish.

Hunt

PS this might well be a good topic to X-post into all the NGs you wish to
query, as the answer(s) can benefit subscribers in each. Some frown on X-
posting, but I think this is a wonderful time to do it.
August 23, 2013 12:43:19 AM

Hello, You can also try the Paint Bucket tool in Photoshop. Open your PS and have a look at the Paint Bucket options. Now by double clicking on its toolbox button, or in Photoshop 6, by selecting the tool. Notice that the paint bucket has a blending mode menu and opacity control, just like the layers palette. These allow you to change the way the paint blends with the pixels you are painting on the same layer. This is somewhat different from the layer blend modes because the layer blend modes change how the pixels blend with all underlying layers, and the paint blend modes change how the pixels blend with existing pixels in the same layer. We'll explore the blending modes a little later when we get to the practice exercises. I also want to point out that there are two extra blend modes that are only available with some of the painting tools: behind and clear.

Painting in behind mode gives results similar to what you would get if you painted on a layer below another layer, but instead your paint is applied to the same layer. Where the existing pixels are not completely opaque, your new paint will mingle with it; where it is fully transparent, the new paint will show through; and where it is fully opaque, the new paint will not appear at all. You can try this by scribbling some paint on a layer, then filling that layer in behind mode with the paint bucket. Clear is only available on layers other than the background. It allows you to use the Paint Bucket or Line tool to erase pixels to transparency. If you still want any more information then you can have a look to this article. I have found this on Google and seems good to me. Hop eit helps you too.

Regards
November 5, 2013 9:27:18 PM

You have all the great methods i can think of placed up there try them and do post your work.
!