Sign in with
Your question

DVD R/RW Drive only reading CDs.

Last response: in Storage
November 17, 2012 3:31:28 PM

Hello, all! I'm an A+ certification class at the local tech center, and we were having a "recycling day" where we were recycling the old computers, and salvaging parts to keep if they would be of use. I kept an optical DVD R/RW drive that was relatively new. It's an IDE drive, with the drive on the Master slot with cable select jumpers. The drive is perfectly capable of reading CDs, but the computer does not react at all to DVDs. In the Device Manager, the drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4166B ATA Device, in the Manager) says the device is working properly, but in Details, the device description is CD-ROM drive. I have tested it with CDs, and it plays music CDs fine, but I can't install games or watch DVD movies. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

More about : dvd drive reading cds

a c 119 G Storage
November 17, 2012 4:11:56 PM

You should try looking for some updated drivers for the device.
m
l
November 17, 2012 4:32:42 PM

I've tried. Windows says they're all up to date and that the device is working properly.
m
l
Related resources
a c 119 G Storage
November 17, 2012 4:47:02 PM

I have not really ever had much success with the update device drivers form the device manager I would look up the support web page of the manufacturer and see if there are drivers there and at the same time there could be info there to assist in helping your problem.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 17, 2012 4:59:13 PM

you say its relatively new, but its an IDE drive. which means its old. new drives cost less than $20, so toss that one in the trash and grab a new one.
m
l
November 17, 2012 5:18:36 PM

I just had this conversation a week or two ago with a buddy of mine that was working on a Toshiba laptop. Basically the laser diode/emitter for reading DVDs is bad or dead.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 17, 2012 5:23:58 PM

^ If that's the case and it's bad or dirty then a cd/dvd disk cleaner might help.
m
l
November 17, 2012 5:26:04 PM

I've looked, but couldn't fine anything. I did remove the drive from my computer and can tell you that it is an "LG Writeable/CD-RW Drive" Model: GWA-4166B made in June, 2005.

EDIT: Should have refreshed before posting! Right, if that's the case I'll just leave it in as a CD drive for now until I get a DVD drive. Mostly I just can't be bothered to take it out at the moment. Thanks!
m
l
a b G Storage
November 17, 2012 5:30:18 PM

umm, you not say its a lg cd-rw, so its not a dvd drive then?
m
l
November 17, 2012 5:37:25 PM

daswilhelm said:
umm, you not say its a lg cd-rw, so its not a dvd drive then?

Yes, it is. It's an LP DVD Writeable/CD-RW Drive. Sorry about the typo.

And cliffro, I did find that page, but it didn't help at all. Didn't link to any drivers or anything.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 17, 2012 5:40:12 PM

theres no drivers needed, its a bad drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 17, 2012 6:23:24 PM

Either you try to clean the drive and make it work or you just replace it with a new one.
m
l
November 17, 2012 9:07:39 PM

ddarkustriforce said:
Yes, it is. It's an LP DVD Writeable/CD-RW Drive. Sorry about the typo.

And cliffro, I did find that page, but it didn't help at all. Didn't link to any drivers or anything.

Right, I was just pointing out to daswilhelm that according to the model # it was indeed a DVD-RW and provided the source of my info.

And the drive is bad, a new SATA one is $16 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!