AMD HT link

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD phenom ii X4, X6 have about 4000 MT/s how to calculate it via MHz and does it actually have that speed ? can i overclock a processor's bus speed ???? and it's written that it supports DDR3 ram of 1066,1333 MHz... what if i put 1600 MHz

Solution
Hi ilysaml and welcome to Tom's forum.

1- The recommended speed for the HT is 2000MHz something above that decrease the performance.
2- Of course that u can OC the CPU's bus speed but keep in mind that is u do that the RAM speed, NB speed and HT speed is linked with that bus speed in that point u need play with all multipliers and voltages for get a stable OC.
3- If u RAM is rated @1600MHz u can run it at that speed without problems, but if isn't u can try it on ur own risk since AMD says that u can kill the CPU's memory controller.

4000MT/s on a dual pumped bus is 2000MHz, it just sends on the rising and falling side so your transfer rate is double your frequency.

You can increase the 200MHz base clock which will increase the bus speed and the CPU speed at the same time.

The integrated memory controller technically tops out at 1333MHz but you can run faster memory on it

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
The hyper transport link goes between your CPU and northbridge - it is more a function of your motherboard, or at least that is the component which advertises it. The memory connects directly to the onboard controller on a Phenom II CPU, so the HT link speed doesn't even matter to the memory. Some motherboards can push the memory faster than others, but memory can run below its advertised speed, so it will always work somehow.

As long as the speed of the HT link is equal to or greater than the speed of the memory. There is no advantage in a 'higher-clocked' HT link. The HT link is simply a pipe. A pipe that will carry a great deal of volume

Much different case with the IMC/NB. For each 10% you increase the IMC/NB above stock 2000MHz, bandwidth is increased 3-4% and latency is reduced 3-4%.

Even with a 50% OC on the IMC/NB to 3000MHz (which those wacky hardcore enthusiasts are now doing) the *snickers* you hear are from the HT link. You are not coming close to filing the volume of that pipe.

Hello saint, thx for replying to me i just wanna classify some things i have the gigabyte ga-890fxa-ud5 and the new brand AMD Phenom ii x6 1055T it's clocked at 2.8 GHz and 3.2 Turbo mode, by raising the multiplier and the CPU's bus speed i OC the CPU to a higher frequency, the Motherboard i guess it's designed to take a limited speed so would it be reasonable to OC the HT to 2600 or 2800, it's said that the motherboard support HT of 5200 MT/s in the manual.
My RAM is Rated at 1333 and the MB supports 1886 Overclocked but refer to the AMD Phenom ii spec, it supports DDR3 of PC3 8500 (1066 MHZ) and PC3 10600(1333 MHz) so if i put a RAM rated as 1600 MHZ, the MB supports it but the CPU doesn't so would it increase or decrease the performance ?

i know that a CPU's bus speed is a quad pumped and a RAM speed is dual pumped, if i run a faster memory will it increase the performance or decrease it?? that was my question

so what is meant by the HT 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 you said it's equal to or greater than the speed of the memory, according to my knowledge, A RAm rated at 1333 MHz, or 1600 MHz it's not it's actual speed it runs a half of that speed and because of the Double Data Rate system, the clock signal goes on both rising and falling edges

Looks like a good right. Check my rig configuration, believe me the mobo isn't your "problem", you are limited with the CPU, voltage and heat of it. The mobo can easy set the 6GHz, 7GHz or more without problems.

If you are trying to OC your CPU, you need 1st disable C1E, Cool'n'Quite and AMD Turbo Mode. As your CPU is lock multiplier you only can OC the CPU using the FSB and not the CPU multiplier. The HT link don't give you any performance above 2000MHz, that's the reason for the 2000MHz manually in the BIOS eve if the mobo support frequencies above the 2000MHz. Your are right, AMD support 1066MHz and 1333MHz but with OC you can run the RAM to a frequency above the stock 1066MHz or 1333MHz. Remember that if your RAM isn't rated to 1600Mhz and you want run it to that speed is on your own risk since that can kill the CPU's memory controller or the RAM too.

Solution

i totally understand you, since C1E, Coolin' and Quite technology, and AMD Core Boost or Turbo Mode decrease the CPU's frequency and voltage. I got that point, and i got also that if i raise FSB or Multiplier it calculates automatically CPU frequency.
I know it won't be reasonable to OC a stock RAM rated as 1066 MHz to 1600 MHz, but my question was would the CPU get chocked cuz of the high speed RAM.
One last question as i get confused every time, DDR is a double data rate, CPU-Z reads the half of the memory 667 MHZ for example if u put 1333 MHZ ( pc3 10600 ) does it actually work with that freq ? i know that AMD used to use the DEFINITION HT instead of FSB ? so what does a FSB and HT link actually mean and what is its role ?

Status
Not open for further replies.