terriinoz

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Hello, I am not to good with techno things but sick of nortons telling me I have high cpu usage and blaming windows explorer I know I need to check task manager but havent a clue where,please can any one help me in simple terms... cheers terriinoz

Found your problem! Not so fond of Norton.

But on a serious note, to see what processors are using up your CPU, press ctrl-shift-esc, this opens up task manager, go to the processes tab, select "show processes from all users" and then sort it by CPU usage, find out which ones are using the most and google them, willing to bet you many of them are from norton.

What is this ctrl-shirt-esc?

I always use alt-ctrl-delete to access task manager.

I second the use of Microsoft security essentials. It is free, fast, and unobtrusive.

Ahah! I learn something new every day. I had trouble finding the shirt key and did not think of the shift key.
Works with W7 home premium also.

Whoops, didnt catch that typo, fixed it now.

Its works on just about every version of windows, or at least all the modern ones i havent tested it on 95 and 3.1 but i dont think they are relevant today, ctrl-alt-delete is just what is usually recommended because it is a special interrupt for windows, no application in windows can sense when you hit that combo of keys so it gives them a nice secure way to get you to task manager.