waiting for the price to drop ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 29, 2004 5:42:13 AM

In addition to "death and taxes" it is also certain that high-demand digital
cameras will drop in price as the latest features and newer models loom on the
horizon.

My intention is to purchase either a Canon 300d or a Nikon D70 with a "better
quality" macro lens sometime in the next months.

Anyone have any psychic readings as to when the prices might drop ?

thanks, J. Cod

More about : waiting price drop

December 29, 2004 5:42:14 AM

J Cod wrote:

> In addition to "death and taxes" it is also certain that high-demand digital
> cameras will drop in price as the latest features and newer models loom on the
> horizon.
>
> My intention is to purchase either a Canon 300d or a Nikon D70 with a "better
> quality" macro lens sometime in the next months.
>
> Anyone have any psychic readings as to when the prices might drop ?
>
> thanks, J. Cod

My crystal ball says the price of what you buy will drop the very
instant the ink dries on your sales receipt.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

"J Cod" <jcod@ultimateoil.com> wrote in message
> In addition to "death and taxes" it is also certain that high-demand
digital
> cameras will drop in price as the latest features and newer models loom on
the
> horizon.
>
> My intention is to purchase either a Canon 300d or a Nikon D70 with a
"better
> quality" macro lens sometime in the next months.
>
> Anyone have any psychic readings as to when the prices might drop ?
>
> thanks, J. Cod

Probably about the time that the equipment becomes much less compelling to
buy. A dropped price doesnt always mean best value. Why not get a 10D (if
you considered the 300D), they are super cheap now.
December 29, 2004 6:35:15 AM

I bought a caon 10D in Octobr when they were selling for $1499. I
bought a new one for $950 and even now that is a high price just a few
months later. I definitely think the price drops right after a new
model appears and falls for several months until it levels off. I have
since bought a 20D and was going to sell the 10D. After the seeing
where the price has fallen I'm going to keep it and use it as a second
body. I figure I may as well because I think the price will level off
and the hit would be the same for me in a year as it would be now. Even
if it's not I'd rather use it then give it away.

Art
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 8:03:11 AM

> Anyone have any psychic readings as to when the prices might drop ?<

When the camera you are interested in is replaced by another model! Seriously.

My wife paid $700 for a Canon G2, and we later were able to buy another one as
a wedding present for our daughter and her husband for about half that price
only about one year later!

--Wilton
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 9:45:02 AM

"J Cod" <jcod@ultimateoil.com> writes:

> In addition to "death and taxes" it is also certain that high-demand digital
> cameras will drop in price as the latest features and newer models loom on
> the horizon.
>
> My intention is to purchase either a Canon 300d or a Nikon D70 with a "better
> quality" macro lens sometime in the next months.
>
> Anyone have any psychic readings as to when the prices might drop ?

With the current rebates, they already have. Note, I think the Nikon rebate
ends on December 31st, so you had better move fast for that one. The Canon
rebate can offer up to $390-495 if you get the camera and two lenses that are
in the rebate list (for example, the Canon 300D, 28-135IS lens and 75-300IS
lens will give you a rebate of $390). The Canon rebate ends at the end of
January if memory serves. It is widely expected that Canon will offer a
replacement for the 300D in time for PMA (Feb-March time frame), so it is
likely the current rebate is an attempt to clear the shelves before the new
camera is announced.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

They have dropped from the beginning. If we take personal computers,
and some other electronics, as examples, you may have to wait a long,
long time before they stop dropping. I doubt if there will ever be a
well defined sweet spot. They will gradually level out. In the
meantime, you will do without a digicam. Consider the analogy with the
PC and folks who wait for price to bottom out. In this I am neglecting
the older stuff like vic 20s and C64s, consider only Windows machines
or Macs.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 6:29:00 PM

Prices will always drop when new models come out. If you wait for price to
drop then you will want the newer model and wait for that price to drop.

If you want a digital camera to use NOW, then now is the time to make the
purchase.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:29:59 PM

I appreciate all the responses. I have had good luck picking up computer
hardware about 4 months after the latest technology has been overshadowed by the
newest miracle heading down the turnpike at a 40% or more discount off the
initial pricing. Then I can resell that hardware a year later for about 40% of
what I paid for it. I believe my purchase of digital cameras is going to follow
a similar pattern, and I do think late Jan. into Feb. will be the time for a
nice Digital Rebel.

In the meantime my trusty Sony Mavica CD200 continues on providing excellent
outdoor and macro photography. Dare I say that, like a marriage, I know "her"
every quirk and erogenous zone and how to tweak same in PhotoShop ?

regards, J. Cod
December 29, 2004 8:50:06 PM

When the new model comes out.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"J Cod" <jcod@ultimateoil.com> wrote in message
> In addition to "death and taxes" it is also certain that high-demand
digital
> cameras will drop in price as the latest features and newer models loom on
the
> horizon.
>
> My intention is to purchase either a Canon 300d or a Nikon D70 with a
"better
> quality" macro lens sometime in the next months.
>
> Anyone have any psychic readings as to when the prices might drop ?
>
> thanks, J. Cod

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:20:04 AM

J Cod wrote:
> In addition to "death and taxes" it is also certain that high-demand digital
> cameras will drop in price as the latest features and newer models loom on the
> horizon.
>
> My intention is to purchase either a Canon 300d or a Nikon D70 with a "better
> quality" macro lens sometime in the next months.
>
> Anyone have any psychic readings as to when the prices might drop ?
>
> thanks, J. Cod

I'm ready to take the plunge. The Pentax *ist DS with Pentax 18-55mm is down to
AU$1300 (US$1000) here in Melbourne, Australia. I was going to get the 300D, but
I think I'd prefer a black camera. I could import a black 300D body from the US
for about AU$1300, and buy a Canon 18-55mm lens from a friend for about AU$50,
but then I'd have no warranty.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
!