Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Nvidia?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 12, 2010 1:57:49 PM

So most of us know the 460 just came out, and it was a beautiful release, in my opinion, the only nvidia card really worth it now, and likely one of the only cards really worth it. However, now that nvidia might be using fermi 104 regularly, they might get a high end fermi 104 card out. I recently read up about the 485, it looks extremely unlikely its using fermi 104. However, 1 card that hasnt been announced to my knowledge is the 475. Seeing how the fermi 104 460 was cheaper and better than the fermi 100 465 (way to screw the numbering lineup nvidia :lol:  ) it seems possible that the 475 will be better than the 470, and better yet cheaper, cooler, more enery efficient, and so on. With 104 architecture, they may even be able to get a dual gpu, like 2 475's. Anybody have any info on this?

More about : nvidia

July 13, 2010 3:59:31 AM

ares1214 said:
So most of us know the 460 just came out, and it was a beautiful release, in my opinion, the only nvidia card really worth it now, and likely one of the only cards really worth it. However, now that nvidia might be using fermi 104 regularly, they might get a high end fermi 104 card out. I recently read up about the 485, it looks extremely unlikely its using fermi 104. However, 1 card that hasnt been announced to my knowledge is the 475. Seeing how the fermi 104 460 was cheaper and better than the fermi 100 465 (way to screw the numbering lineup nvidia :lol:  ) it seems possible that the 475 will be better than the 470, and better yet cheaper, cooler, more enery efficient, and so on. With 104 architecture, they may even be able to get a dual gpu, like 2 475's. Anybody have any info on this?



I was thinking about the same idea. Considering the 460 is better than the 465 - price/perf, I thought about my gtx 280's i bought when they came out. After i bought those the 275's and 285's came out and i whispered to my self " SON OF A B****" <-- Heh whispered. Anyway, with that in mind, i am pretty sure by the end of the year there will be a full line up of the 400's with most likely a dual card as well. Only time will tell.
July 13, 2010 4:18:47 AM

yeah. the 465 just got totally and completely obliterated, so i was thinking of maybe making the 768 mb version of the 104 460 be the 460, and the 1 gig version be the 465 104. nvidia screwed themselves with the numbering though this time :lol: 
Related resources
July 13, 2010 4:38:59 AM

ares1214 said:
yeah. the 465 just got totally and completely obliterated, so i was thinking of maybe making the 768 mb version of the 104 460 be the 460, and the 1 gig version be the 465 104. nvidia screwed themselves with the numbering though this time :lol: 


looking at some benchs the 460 bet it at stock, and of course when you overclock, which i saw on 3dguru, ever card they got they overclocked to over 800+core with no voltage, the msi card they over volted got to 900+core, flat at crushes the 465 and is really right there with a stock 470, looking at wikipedia, they do have a 475 listed, saying it's going to be the gf 104, obviously not the best source, but still gives some evidence that a card like this might come out, i actually just bought a gtx 460 from evga today, going to buy another one on Wednesday when i get my paycheck, and if the 475 does comes out probably going to use their step up program and get 475's :sol: 
July 13, 2010 5:01:05 AM

haha, yeah, the 460 is about 85-95% of the performance of the 470/5850. If they fully unlock it, which since they held it back gives evidence for a 104 based 475, it will likely beat the 480. Seeing at how the 460 is just $200-230, they could easily get a 475 down to about $300, effectively taking out the 5850, 470, and likely 5870 and 480. 485 was set to be on fermi 100, and it likely will be released on it, but if i were nividia, id scrap the launch of it, find a way to put it on something like fermi 104, then release it later as a thing to hold them out till the 5xx series. It also seems the 450gts is set on the 5770, and the 450 is suppose to be on fermi 106 or fermi 104, so id imagine it beating the 5770 pretty easily and costing the same. i cant believe nvidia is shaping up to be cooler, quieter, more energy efficient, and cheaper than ati, i never thought id say that :lol: 
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 13, 2010 5:01:10 AM

There was a rumour a little while back on an "obscure" website, that the 470 was going to be discontinued as a card so that the GPU's could be used for a dual GPU card but when a dual card prototype was seen it had 465 GPU's on though the PCB had empty spaces where memory modules missing.
July 13, 2010 5:29:30 AM

strange. although dual 470s from a heat and energy point of view doesnt seem likely. if nvidia is gonna get a dual card, im gonna guess it will be based off something besides fermi 100, so likely fermi 104.
a b Î Nvidia
July 13, 2010 5:57:50 AM

If the GTX470 is a 200W part, I don't see it making it as a dual card. They might be able to get the GTX460 in. I to would like a see a "GTX475" based GF104. Lets see how this new chip scales up.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 13, 2010 6:10:28 AM

There were some who couldn't see a 336 SP part as being viable either and who's to say it has to be an Nvidia certified part that meets the PCIe spec?
July 13, 2010 6:40:37 AM

4745454b said:
If the GTX470 is a 200W part, I don't see it making it as a dual card. They might be able to get the GTX460 in. I to would like a see a "GTX475" based GF104. Lets see how this new chip scales up.


That is a valid point. Just think about dual "470" chips on 1 card x2..... thats a lotta consumption and heat! I dont think anyone would want to be near that beast when it puts out hot air! Im sweatin just thinking about it!
July 13, 2010 1:25:04 PM

BroHamBone said:
That is a valid point. Just think about dual "470" chips on 1 card x2..... thats a lotta consumption and heat! I dont think anyone would want to be near that beast when it puts out hot air! Im sweatin just thinking about it!


not only that, but im not sure if it fits within the realm of possibility. the 460 in sli perform extremely well, they scale amazingly. they usually perform close to 5870 xfire and 480 sli, and beat the 5970 in quite a few benchmarks, but you also have to take into account the downgrade in performance with dual cards, due to underclocking. Fermi 104 on the 460 is being held back, it is likely to release a new card later on. If nvidia wants to convincingly win the dual card battle, i think it needs to be 2 475s in the 490 or 495.
!