Under $550 Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlechem

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: Before December

Budget Range: $400-550 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching Movies, Surfing the web, Creating Documents

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com (I know it's not the greatest website for parts but threes no tax and I get free "prime" shipping on most things), newegg.com, tigerdirect.com

Country of Origin: California, US

Parts Preferences: AMD cpu, mid sized case, Mobo that supports ddr3 and USB 3.0. I would like a blu-ray optical drive.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe later on

Additional Comments: I would like 4 gb of ram. I don't know where to get Windows 7 for a built pc. I would like the case to look cool (black with a lot of grill) but not if it will cost a ton more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have already picked out an AMD Phenom II X2 processor. I will probably unlock the other two cores. Tell me if it isn't a very good CPU.

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Callisto-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B0036F2Z7W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1288500721&sr=8-4

I also found a LITE-ON 4x Blu-ray Disc SATA Internal Optical Drive.

http://www.amazon.com/LITE--Blu-ray-Internal-Optical-iHOS104/dp/B002EE996Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288501411&sr=8-1

Thank you so much,
Thomas

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
First: don't need DDR3 over DDR2 if you're going a dual core AMD
Second: don't buy a chip hoping to unlock - get the X3 instead
Third: Blu-ray optical drive is not a gaming PC and should be omitted - you can buy blu-ray releases instead

loneninja

Distinguished
The Phenom II X2 are a great deal if you can unlock the extra cores, or what you do can only use 2 cores. If the cores fail to unlock, the Athlon II X3/X4 processors offer better performance, and much better bang/buck.

Some odd reason Chrome won't load newegg right now, but you should be able to fine both OEM and retail versions of Win7 on newegg or tigerdirect if you look into their software.

Status
Not open for further replies.