StarPoints with PhotoShop or elsewhere?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 29, 2004 5:55:34 AM

Some time ago I recall seeing a software package, but no longer
remember what, that could be used to create multi-pointed stars around
a bright source of light. Thinking that with all the choice of
unusual filters available in PhotoShop, there might be something
similar there. But after spending several hours trying out the
various filters, I failed to find anything in P.S. Can anyone point
me in a direction, either within PhotoShop or elsewhere, that might
give me such a feature? Thanks

Olin McDaniel

More about : starpoints photoshop

December 29, 2004 5:55:35 AM

Heyyyy! Thanks! I've also been looking for this filter/effect. I have
PSP7 at work. I'll try it out tomorrow.
Ann Carrier
http://dns.advnet.net/stang/
December 29, 2004 6:04:43 AM

"Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:41d21b4c.22876205@news.east.earthlink.net...

> Some time ago I recall seeing a software package, but no longer
> remember what, that could be used to create multi-pointed stars around
> a bright source of light. Thinking that with all the choice of
> unusual filters available in PhotoShop, there might be something
> similar there. But after spending several hours trying out the
> various filters, I failed to find anything in P.S. Can anyone point
> me in a direction, either within PhotoShop or elsewhere, that might
> give me such a feature? Thanks

PSP V7.0 has an option under the effects menu called "sunburst" that
creates the effect you are looking for. See -
http://www.jasc.com/support/learn/tutorials/archive/pai...
December 29, 2004 7:04:24 AM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:04:43 GMT, "Ken" <ken@ken.ken> wrote:

>"Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:41d21b4c.22876205@news.east.earthlink.net...
>>
>> Some time ago I recall seeing a software package, but no longer
>> remember what, that could be used to create multi-pointed stars around
>> a bright source of light. Thinking that with all the choice of
>> unusual filters available in PhotoShop, there might be something
>> similar there. But after spending several hours trying out the
>> various filters, I failed to find anything in P.S. Can anyone point
>> me in a direction, either within PhotoShop or elsewhere, that might
>> give me such a feature? Thanks
>
>PSP V7.0 has an option under the effects menu called "sunburst" that
>creates the effect you are looking for. See -
>http://www.jasc.com/support/learn/tutorials/archive/pai...

At quick glance that look like lens flare filter in Photoshop
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 7:54:56 PM

Ken wrote:

> "Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:41d21b4c.22876205@news.east.earthlink.net...
> >
> > Some time ago I recall seeing a software package, but no longer
> > remember what, that could be used to create multi-pointed stars around
> > a bright source of light. Thinking that with all the choice of
> > unusual filters available in PhotoShop, there might be something
> > similar there. But after spending several hours trying out the
> > various filters, I failed to find anything in P.S. Can anyone point
> > me in a direction, either within PhotoShop or elsewhere, that might
> > give me such a feature? Thanks
>
> PSP V7.0 has an option under the effects menu called "sunburst" that
> creates the effect you are looking for. See -

Even more effective is to go into the extra brushes menu and select the
X brush. Use white color and a hard edge and place the X where you want
the stars. Then chose a smaller round soft edged brush and put a circle
in the center of the X. If you want more points, just add more X's on
their own layers, rotate the layers, and get the effect you want. It's
perfect for gleams on gem stones.

Steve Kramer
"PhotoEnvisions" Freelance Photography
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com

--
"The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons, but in seeing
with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:04:43 GMT, "Ken" <ken@ken.ken> wrote:

>"Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:41d21b4c.22876205@news.east.earthlink.net...
>>
>> Some time ago I recall seeing a software package, but no longer
>> remember what, that could be used to create multi-pointed stars around
>> a bright source of light. Thinking that with all the choice of
>> unusual filters available in PhotoShop, there might be something
>> similar there. But after spending several hours trying out the
>> various filters, I failed to find anything in P.S. Can anyone point
>> me in a direction, either within PhotoShop or elsewhere, that might
>> give me such a feature? Thanks
>
>PSP V7.0 has an option under the effects menu called "sunburst" that
>creates the effect you are looking for. See -
>http://www.jasc.com/support/learn/tutorials/archive/pai...

Thanks, Ken. I do have PSP 7.0 and tried it in the sunburst filter
mode as you suggested, but that's not quite what I wanted. I have an
image with many bright spots of light, onto which I wish to add what I
call "star points" to all or at least many.

I know that a while back I saw something, not sure if it was software
or a lens attachment to do this. After examining all the filters
available in both PhotoShop and PSP, I'm now suspecting it was a glass
device to mount as a filter ahead of the camera lens. It's obvious
something exists out there to do this, many nights I will spot some
camera shot on TV with this exact effect, which further suggests it's
a lens attachment. But I still don't know just what.

Olin McDaniel
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:08:30 AM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:54:56 +0700, Steve Kramer
<steve@seatraveler.com> wrote:

>Even more effective is to go into the extra brushes menu and select the
>X brush. Use white color and a hard edge and place the X where you want
>the stars. Then chose a smaller round soft edged brush and put a circle
>in the center of the X. If you want more points, just add more X's on
>their own layers, rotate the layers, and get the effect you want. It's
>perfect for gleams on gem stones.
>
>Steve Kramer
>"PhotoEnvisions" Freelance Photography
>Chiang Mai, Thailand
>http://www.photoenvisions.com

Thanks Steve. I have just replied to another response on this thread.
You might look for it for the specifics of what I'm trying to find.

However, I did try to follow your suggestion, and failed. Does your
reply direct me to PhotoShop or to PSP? It may give me the effect I
want, but could not find anything resembling your directions in PSP 7
or in PhotoShop 7. What am I missing? Where is the "extra brushes
menu"?

Olin McDaniel
December 30, 2004 7:24:03 AM

"Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >PSP V7.0 has an option under the effects menu called "sunburst" that
> >creates the effect you are looking for. See -
> >http://www.jasc.com/support/learn/tutorials/archive/pai...
> >

> Thanks, Ken. I do have PSP 7.0 and tried it in the sunburst filter
> mode as you suggested, but that's not quite what I wanted. I have an
> image with many bright spots of light, onto which I wish to add what I
> call "star points" to all or at least many.
>
> I know that a while back I saw something, not sure if it was software
> or a lens attachment to do this. After examining all the filters
> available in both PhotoShop and PSP, I'm now suspecting it was a glass
> device to mount as a filter ahead of the camera lens. It's obvious
> something exists out there to do this, many nights I will spot some
> camera shot on TV with this exact effect, which further suggests it's
> a lens attachment. But I still don't know just what.

Hi Olin,

I have been sucessful in adding multiple bursts per image with the PSP filter but
you have to be careful with the strength and opacity or it will quickly wash out
the picture. You can use it more than once on the same picture so don't be afraid
to try several attempts before giving up.

As far as lens attachments you can get what is called a "star" filter. It has a series of lines
cut into the surface of the glass. There are various types of star filters available - some
have more cuts than others which control the number or "rays" you will see in the final
picture as well as the angle of the rays. With most of them you can also rotate the filter
to change the direction of the burst effect. Tiffen has a nice line of star filters which can
be seen here - http://www.tiffen.com/star_filters.htm

Ken
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:27:09 AM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:24:03 GMT, "Ken" <ken@ken.ken> wrote:

>As far as lens attachments you can get what is called a "star" filter. It has a series of lines
>cut into the surface of the glass. There are various types of star filters available - some
>have more cuts than others which control the number or "rays" you will see in the final
>picture as well as the angle of the rays. With most of them you can also rotate the filter
>to change the direction of the burst effect. Tiffen has a nice line of star filters which can
>be seen here - http://www.tiffen.com/star_filters.htm
>
>Ken

Ken,

You put your finger exactly onto what I had in mind. At my advanced
age, the old mind leaks things faster than I am willing to admit, but
clearly that answer is what I now remember. Thanks for your help.

Olin
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:49:37 AM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:27:09 GMT, omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com (Olin
K. McDaniel) wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:24:03 GMT, "Ken" <ken@ken.ken> wrote:
>

>>As far as lens attachments you can get what is called a "star" filter. It has a series of lines
>>cut into the surface of the glass. There are various types of star filters available - some
>>have more cuts than others which control the number or "rays" you will see in the final
>>picture as well as the angle of the rays. With most of them you can also rotate the filter
>>to change the direction of the burst effect. Tiffen has a nice line of star filters which can
>>be seen here - http://www.tiffen.com/star_filters.htm
>>
>>Ken
>>

>Ken,
>
>You put your finger exactly onto what I had in mind. At my advanced
>age, the old mind leaks things faster than I am willing to admit, but
>clearly that answer is what I now remember. Thanks for your help.
>
>Olin

Ken, just as a followup, I ordered a Tiffen star filter from B&H
Photo on Wednesday and it arrived 2 days later. It is their smallest,
the 49mm size and makes 6 points. I had to also order suitable stepup
rings to fit my cameras. Since it arrived last evening about dark,
I've only done a slight bit of testing with it so far. Early results
indicate the best images are with relatively small point sources of
light, and considerable contrast of these with their surroundings.
One of the hoped for uses, i.e. for enhancing digital images already
taken, such a device is not usable here. Nor have I found any
software that can do the equivalent of this star filter when taking
the photo. Again, thanks.

Olin McDaniel
!