Power supply is loud and scary :(

crispykiller96

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Hello there i just bought a brand new Asrock Motherboard

ASRock M3N78D nForce 720D (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 16GB

With the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket CPU

My power supply is a 480 Watt from my old computer temporary for 2 weeks untill i can upgrade it

I installed the computer and it worked great as i only just put the computer together i did not connect the fans LEDS case fans ect

But the wierd problem was when i connected everything together the power fan is very loud and scary so i dissconected all the case fans and leds and its normal again everything disconnected now but the bare essentials to get the computer running

i think its because my power supply is inadaquite for all the leads whats do you guys think

Also it was only on for a few seconds that cannot cause damage can it im using the computer now fine with zero problems

Thanks

It is not uncommon for a fan in a power supply to have failing bearings. Common symptoms are a loud screeching sound from the fan which normally quietens down after a while. This shouldn’t cause any problems apart from the loud noise but is a sign that the power supply or the fan should be replaced. When the fan eventually seizes up it will result in the destruction of the power supply. If you are very unlucky the destruction of the power supply can also damage the motherboard.

That is strange, especially because fans and LED's represent no significant increase in PSU load.

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
If you have any significantly expensive equipment connected, you might wanna splurge and buy the supply even if it costs a bit more money than expected. These are 5 year items that tend to work well, but once they go.. it's not like most supply makers guarantee your connected equipment. Possibly if a UPS killed the equipment, yes.. but psu.. no

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Is your old 480W a branded model? If the PSU is making lots of noise, its getting too hot. Are the fans high performance?
For example, my scythe Kama Junyi 1900s and Sunon Denki use a lot more power than than some 120mm fans. Could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.