Asus m2n-e Bios Recovery

AWonder

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hey all,

First time here posting but I read up on these forums a lot. They really have helped me get out of a jam or two. Here's a jam I can't quite get out of though. I got a hand-me-down desktop computer from a friend of mine. I'm a student and all I'm rocking now is an old HP Pavillion DV 1000 laptop (I know, ancient right?). So having this new desktop would be fantastic. I put on Windows 7 and installed all the drivers. I had everything working and was able to play a few games on there as well. In my excited haste, I thought it would be a good idea to update the BIOS on the motherboard too... I still feel like an idiot, haha. It froze near the end of the BIOS update so I prayed and hit the soft reset button. The computer now powers on, spins all the fans for about 2-3 seconds and then shuts right off. The monitor doesn't change from a black screen at all.

Here are the specs for the desktop
Asus m2n-e motherboard
Corsair 1GB DDR2 533Mhz RAM
Athlon 64 CPU
ATI Radeon x1600
450-500W PSU (I'm not sure exactly, the person I got this from requested all the stickers to be removed when it was built but I know it's between 450-500W)

I've tried a few things so far. Here is the list
- Removed RAM and powered on to hear for POST beeps. There were none. Computer powers on, spins fans, then powers off.
- Removed CPU and powered on to hear from POST beeps. There were none. Computer powers on, spins fans, then powers off.
- Unseated CMOS battery, waited for 2-3 minutes and reseated
- Unseated CMOS battery, changed jumper from default to CLRTC, waited 2-3 minutes, changed jumper back to default and then reseated battery
- Unseated CMOS battery, changed jumper from default to CLRTC, powered on, powered off, changed jumper back to default and then reseated battery

From the forums I've read, it seems like what happened was my BIOS chip has been completely wiped. That's why there is nothing displayed on the monitor. The only fix I can see is to take the BIOS chip (it is a socketed chip so it can be removed) and have it re-programmed. The only way I saw how to do this was to do a crazy hot swap procedsure involving another functional motherboard where you have to boot up and then hot swap the working BIOS chip with the non-working BIOS chip to re-flash it. That to me sounds insanse because you run the risk of breaking two motherboards instead of one.

Is there anything that I haven't tried or anything that I have overlooked? I guess this is more for my pride than anything really because I do know better than to frig around with the BIOS if it is already working properly. I just got too excited and lost my head. Thanks for reading and thanks for all of your help in advance!

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Your motherboard setup disc should have a program on it to reflash your bios to the old setting. Check your manual or go to Asus web site support page and look up the info. I have an Asus m2n-e-sli board and in the bios setting there is a flash utility to use with your disc but check out how to flash it first. Good luck

AWonder

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011

Thanks for the reply almartin. I eventually just gave up and bought a new motherboard. I went with a m2n68-AM PLUS. I've got my rig up and running again with no problems. I guess the old motherboard will just hang out as a paperweight for a while. Thanks again for the help!