Expanded the wrong drive

xapatrax

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
:ange: Hi folks, can anyone assist in getting what was a 3TB hard drive set up as drive G with a volume set at 2 TB.
I selected the wrong drive instead of an Esata 1TB drive, went ahead & chose MANAGE, then Disk Management, but selected the wrong drive. I then selected EXPAND VOLUME. I saw I had applied it to the wrong drive, so I tried to reverse my error by selecting it and chose SHRINK VOLUME.
In Disk Management my original drive now shows as 3.05 GB Healthy (System, Active Primary Partition), with a further Unallocated Partition of 111.45GB. Any tips as to how I can get the drive back to its original 2TB withh all of its much wanted data. Any help greately appreciated. XapatraX :pt1cable:

Your post is a little confusing and I think it should be reposted with accurate complete information.
You say you started with a 3 tb hard drive which is essntialy 3000 gb and you had a seperate volume set at 2 tb (2000 gb) and when you accidently expanded you were left with 3.05 gb and 111.45 gb , there's thousands of gb's missing here.
From that one 3 tb drive how many partitions and what sizes are there now and what should there be.

xapatrax

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

:cry: Sorry for confusion caused.
I had a 3TB that Windoze7 would only see as a 2TB hdd. I had partitioned it as 2TB, formatted it & stored data therein 6 months ago.
A friend asked me to format their multi-partitioned 1TB Esata drive for their future use as a backup data drive.
I selected my 3TB Esata drive in error and selected EXPAND VOLUME which it promptly did. I realised I had selected my drive I had EXPANDED so
to then attempt to correct my error so selected SHRINK VOLUME thinking it would return my drive back to the state it was in before I shrank it.
But Windoze7 now saw that drive as two partitions, a 3.05GB NTFS HEALTHY (SYSTEM, ACTIVE, PRIMARY PARTITION) with a further PARTITION UNALLOCATED of 111.45 UNALLOCATED. Hence a total of just 114.50 GB.

Agreed, I have lost many K of valuable bytes, including pics, video & audio books. I decided not to do anything else with or to the drive until someone can advise.
Many thanks for your assistance, XapatraX ;)

Ok so now in disk management there has to be a space that say nothing or raw unalocated space so you can expand that space and see if you can get it back towhat you had. You won't lose any data unless you wqrite over it so once you expand the space you can use a recovery program to recover you files , they are still there untill you write over them. By expanding the space you are not writing over them .

xapatrax

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Now who is confusing whom?
As I wrote on the 3TB drive Windoze7 now sees it as a 114.5 GB drive with 3.05GB used & 111.45 GB UNALLOCATED.
Expanding will only take the drive to 114122 (null).
Which recovery program do you refer to? Thanks, XapatraX

Many thanks re Recuva, will try that out.
I have a pic of the Management screen showing all but no facilities here to include it for your inspection-assessment.
Thought I might also try Acronis & see if I can get the data.
Mnay thanks for your aid...
☆xÅpÅt®Åx☆

xapatrax

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Many thanks re Recuva, tried that out, but it needs a formatted drive to examine.
I have a pic of the Management screen showing all but no facilities here to include it for your inspection-assessment.
Thought I might also try Acronis & see if I can get the data.
Mnay thanks for your aid...
☆xÅpÅt®Åx☆