Plugging ddr2 graphic card in ddr1 motherboard

mrabdullahadnan

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
can we plug ddr2 graphic card in to ddr1 motherboard actually iam having d865gbf and i want a card with pixel shader 3.0 and also suggest me which card i should buy .

thank you

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The motherboard will only determine what type of DDR RAM needs to be installed, not what type of memory is on the video card so yes, you can put any video card on that motherboard if it fits. What type of motherboard do you have? brand and model number please.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
The memory on the graphics card and motherboard are not related.

If you have DDR on your motherboard, I think there is a distinct possibility that your computer will bottleneck most modern graphics cards.

What are you trying to do specifically? Do you have an AGP slot or PCIE? How much are you looking to spend?

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
That's the same card I was thinking - definitely 46xx range is as high as I think you can go with AGP, but as stated, it will more than likely be bottlenecked by your CPU.

If you can spare some more money, it may make more sense to update the entire system - there are some really solid budget systems out there that will give you some good years.

It depends on your budget and what you are looking to do with it.