Completely Stumped, Computer won't boot.

sneaky jedi

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hello everyone, my friend and I are completely stumped as to what is wrong with my new build and would greatly appreciate some help.

My new build:

mobo: gigabyte X58A UD3R
CPU: intel i7 930
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5870
RAM: OCZ Gold 2x4GB
PSU: Corsair 750TX
boot drive: windows 7 64 bit on an intel X25-M 80GB SSD
Storage on WD Caviar Black 1TB
HAF X

my rig worked great for about 2 weeks before it stopped booting windows and then eventually wouldnt even enter the bios. Upon power on would simply flash the Gigabyte logo screen, sound one short beep, then black screen and repeat. RMA'd the mobo, received a new one without any new results, same problem. Breadboarded this morning, with only the cpu and heatsink and 1 stick of ram I had the cpu fan start up, then turn off, then start up again in a loop, leading me to beleive the PSU was the problem. Had my friend bring over a known good PSU (then one from his current rig he was nice enough to supply) didnt have the stop and start problem with only the one stick of ram but then upon connecting the GPU we got back to the original problem of only seeing the gigabyte logo screen then black screen after one short beep on mobo speaker.

I really dont know what to do from here. I'm leaving to go back to college on friday and would like to have a solution by then. Will probably go to microcenter or frys tomorrow to see if they can offer any assistance (got the CPU from microcenter). Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks for any comments, I'm getting to the end of my rope here.

Solution
Maybe it's just bad luck, but OCZ Gold RAM doesn't seem reliable based on newegg results. You'd want to run the memory in triple channel as well, 3x4 GB or 3x2 GB (6x2 or 6x4 works too) for optimal results.
If there's not visual display it's probably the graphics card though.
Maybe it's just bad luck, but OCZ Gold RAM doesn't seem reliable based on newegg results. You'd want to run the memory in triple channel as well, 3x4 GB or 3x2 GB (6x2 or 6x4 works too) for optimal results.
If there's not visual display it's probably the graphics card though.

Solution

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
You said the problem comes back when you connect the gpu... Do you think your friend would be nice enough to let you borrow his gpu to test?

And I also think that you need to be running triple channel memory.